Shopping Discussion

vitacost.com anyone use them,how was shipping to canada?

• Last Updated:
  • May 20th, 2014 5:48 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5137 posts
49 upvotes

vitacost.com anyone use them,how was shipping to canada?

Hi,
I bought some items from www.vitacost.com a few weeks ago and oddly enough was just charged $5 shipping to Canada.
My parcel (worth $36) shows up by Canada post.
That was fine, kind of slow..took 3 weeks.
No extra fees and no tax, happy about that.

Now I just placed another order, value of $30 and paid $13 or so shipping (heavier items).
And assumed my items were coming by the same post service as I never use Ups even if airmail costs more and is slower (usually have less hassle w airmail)

I just get a email notice myparcel is coming through UPS.... :mad:
Not too pleased.

Has anyone dealt with Vitacost before?
And what are the chances of my being screwed by ups?

Vitacost still had much better prices than any of the health food stores near me. But now I'll b stuck waiting at home for a parcel too and that is very annoying.
38 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2002
2321 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
Bookpreviews wrote:
Apr 10th, 2010 9:20 am
And what are the chances of my being screwed by ups?
depends if they sent it by UPS standard or another level of service...if it isnt UPS standard, your chances are better to avoid huge charges.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5137 posts
49 upvotes
CanadianMike wrote:
Apr 10th, 2010 9:39 am
depends if they sent it by UPS standard or another level of service...if it isnt UPS standard, your chances are better to avoid huge charges.
I'm just suprized they actually used ups as mylast order was $4.90 shipping to Canada and was airmail.
I usually take the cheapest shipping (and actually pay more for airmail so I'm not stuck at home all day).
So, am kind of annoyed I got this ups notice...

But the item I bought, in Canada the same ginger tablets are $30 for 25tablets and there was $17 for 60
there was also a cheaper brand ofsimilar product for $6for 60 tablets.
At least even if I dopay extra fees, itwill still be cheaper than the healthfood shop in the mall....
May 13, 2011
1 posts
AMHERSTBURG
We bought items worth 20.76. On top of that we paid shipping cost of 15.56, which we thought was excessive, but went ahead hoping that would be all. On delivery we had to pay additional 10.45 to "Global Mail Inc". Our 20.76 items ended up costing us 46.77. Vitacost offered no explanation and claimed they never heard of Global mail inc. Said we should call them. Who are they? To sum up were not too happy with Vitacost.
Sep 23, 2006
789 posts
65 upvotes
rosiej wrote:
May 14th, 2011 9:35 pm
We bought items worth 20.76. On top of that we paid shipping cost of 15.56, which we thought was excessive, but went ahead hoping that would be all. On delivery we had to pay additional 10.45 to "Global Mail Inc". Our 20.76 items ended up costing us 46.77. Vitacost offered no explanation and claimed they never heard of Global mail inc. Said we should call them. Who are they? To sum up were not too happy with Vitacost.

Global Mail Inc. is DHL.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2007
4102 posts
515 upvotes
Theyre one of the few online retailers who ship Focus fast to canada; http://www.vitacost.com/Enyotics-Health ... Focus-Fast

Although there are s/h and brokerage fee charges which are a PITA, but not really vitacost's fault .......... it is just a reality when buying stuff from the states. And unless I really need something, I now hold off until I am in NY or MI
Mark77 wrote:"All aspiring students should go into the financial services - engineering is, and always has been, a poor choice for our brightest minds ... and TodayHello is my Hero ..."
Hydropwnics wrote:"TodayHello is a certified hustler and original gangster."
Jun 10, 2004
205 posts
14 upvotes
Yeah they used to ship USPS until recently, now they ship DHL and you get hit by the customs handler/broker and then Canada Post adds $7.50 to that (because they have to collect money for the handler). So for a small order you end up paying a good 25 bucks extra.

The good thing is with the new shipping it's a lot faster. With USPS there was no tax, no duty, but it would take a month to get here.

I'm now looking for another US online order company that uses USPS after many years of use of Vitacost because of the above change. Any suggestions?
Jun 25, 2007
368 posts
7 upvotes
Good that I saw this post before placing an order. Tried to keep it under $20, but then found out it doesn't matter since it's not being shipped via USPS...sucks though because they do have good prices.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2008
4722 posts
1021 upvotes
Montreal
Is there a customs charge chart for DHL?
What would the fee be for a $50-100 order?
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
1421 posts
325 upvotes
Edmonton
Looks like only two shipping options through Vitacost are DHL and UPS. UPS is not standard so price is exorbitant. DHL is reasonable and I checked with DHL and the brokerage charge is only $10.00 for a relatively small order. It only goes to percentage at a certain threshold. Vitacost has a referral program which allows you to save $10 off your first order. It ends up being a wash so you'll only pay the shipping charges which is reasonable considering the savings on the product.

Anybody have any recent experience ordering from them?
Apr 20, 2011
203 posts
2 upvotes
Scarborough
anyone have any recent experience ordering vitacost items by DHL shipping to toronto? they seem to have just as much bad reviews as good reviews...
Jan 23, 2006
570 posts
17 upvotes
My family has been ordering from vitacost a lot lately. They say most of the small packages are delivered by canada post and there is no duty or extra charges. Vitacost charges $2.99 flat for shipping.
Jun 10, 2004
205 posts
14 upvotes
Packages seem to take a long time (3+ weeks), and you never know when it will be redirected to Canada Post for extra "collection", or it will be left at the door. It's a gamble.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
1421 posts
325 upvotes
Edmonton
My average has been two weeks. I have been ordering more frequently since they started the $2.99 flat rate shipping. You can track your item up until it leaves the States when it goes by mail. Shipping is fast. They do have a referral program for $10 off your first order. PM me if you need additional info.
× < >