• Mar 13th, 2014 5:21 pm
Tags:
Jul 31, 2004
783 posts
56 upvotes
Vancouver
TCB069 wrote:
Jun 9th, 2009 12:08 pm
Can anyone post their thoughts on the vitamix? my g/f really wants one, but its so pricey...

i'm hesitant on buying such an expensive kitchen appliance after i bought her a $500 kitchen aid stand mixer which after using she didnt like and would have preferred a smaller one....
I haven't bought one yet, but the question I always ask with any kitchen appliance is do you have something right now that doesn't meet your needs? I want one because I've destroyed a couple of $100 blenders by crushing ice and making thick, heavy dips and I want something that won't wear out as easily. If you're hoping that a new one will simply inspire you to blend more, I'd probably suggest not getting it.
Jun 10, 2009
3 posts
vancouver
Does anyone know when and where Vitamix Roadshow will be surfacing in Calgary, ALTA?
With the Canadian dollar picking up stamina, has anyone headed south of the border to purchase?
Thank you!
Jan 31, 2007
294 posts
1 upvote
deals4m wrote:
Jun 11th, 2009 1:05 am
Does anyone know when and where Vitamix Roadshow will be surfacing in Calgary, ALTA?
With the Canadian dollar picking up stamina, has anyone headed south of the border to purchase?
Thank you!
From what the rep told me when she was in Markham, she's in Vaughan this week, the next stop for her is Regina, then Alberta
Jun 10, 2009
3 posts
vancouver
Anyone know what dates and where Vitamix roadshow will be in Calgary, ALTA costco??

As well, any wholesaler reps here in Vancouver. Friend is a naturalpath and wants to start up.

Thanks
Nov 14, 2006
523 posts
110 upvotes
Calgary
The Heritage Meadows Costco has the Vitamix 5200 blender on sale from today until August 3rd or 4th (picked mine up today!). Then they'll be at the North location from Aug 5-16. It's $499 for the regular 5200 package.

I've been scoping these out for awhile - trying to decide between the Blendtec and the Vitamix. The Blendtec is apparently more powerful, but it came down to the fact that I mostly make frozen fruit smoothies, so I like the concept of the tamper that Vitamix includes with their model.

I first checked these out in person at the Vitamix booth at the Stampede a few weeks ago. The display booths at the Stampede/PNE/Capital Ex/etc are hosted by the actual Vitamix company (the same as the online/telephone retailer) and their pricing will be the same ($579 for the standard package - more to get the dry blade container package or different colours). My experience with both the display salespeople as well as the telephone salespeople is that they will not negotiate price. The online/phone salespeople can offer free shipping (or you can find a code online) but that's about it. You can also buy a reconditioned "display model" for slightly cheaper online/by phone, and I was told that any order of two or more would be eligible for a 5% discount. One of the salespeople I spoke with said they were actually not allowed to match Costco's price as a part of their agreement with Costco (could have been typical salesperson BS). I told them that if they could do anything about the price to make it more competitive, I would buy it on the spot and they would have a guaranteed direct sale, but they were adamant that they would not budge on the price so I walked.

As for the Costco model, they only have the white version, in the standard 2L/64oz wet-blade package. The reason Costco can offer the discounted price is that they pre-buy a bulk order at wholesale prices, then hire the Vitamix reps to come in and do the presentation in order to convince their customers to buy one. So the display at Costco may look the same and may even be done by the same people as the other show displays, but the sales are directly through Costco and not the Vitamix company (so again don't bother trying to negotiate with the sales rep there either! ...well, like any true RFDer, you should always try anyway - you never know). The Costco sales apparently have a reduced 2-year warranty from the standard Vitamix company 7-year warranty, but I was given a code that would extend my Costco purchase to the full 7-year manufacturer's warranty. I'm also comforted by the fact that Costco will return virtually any unsatisfactory purchase, no matter how long you've had it!

One final note is that one of my friends came across a pretty sweet deal a few years ago, where the online site had a buy one get one half off deal. However, I think hers is the 5000 model with the non-BPA-free container so it may have been around the time they were blowing out the 5000 model to make way for the new 5200s.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions!
Jul 22, 2009
1 posts
toronto
There is a show which started yesterday July 22, 2009, sorry not sure how long it is running.
The 5200 is $499 and the dry unit is another $99
Jan 12, 2008
20 posts
I just called the Newmarket location, and they said that the show is going to Peterborough next, after August 2nd 2009.

I am out of town - so will have to make the trek to Peterborough next week!!!
Nov 29, 2005
12 posts
Saw the Vitamix demo at Costco Mississauga (Mavis/Matheson area). They'll be there until Aug 16. The lady doing the demo said its the same machine used at Booster Juice and that 80% of the market uses the machine. I should have asked her to clarify if she was referring to the model they were selling at the demo (5200).

The 'ice cream' sample they had was tasty, just like Booster Juice.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5137 posts
49 upvotes
medina wrote:
Aug 7th, 2009 9:02 pm
Saw the Vitamix demo at Costco Mississauga (Mavis/Matheson area). They'll be there until Aug 16. The lady doing the demo said its the same machine used at Booster Juice and that 80% of the market uses the machine. I should have asked her to clarify if she was referring to the model they were selling at the demo (5200).

The 'ice cream' sample they had was tasty, just like Booster Juice.
I think that Orange Julius also used those it looks like.

I also know that to blend the milkshakes Baskin Robbins and many places use the Warring drink mixers (like to make the McFlurry type drinks and Blizzards maybe....)
Jan 28, 2007
194 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
i'm interested in getting one now.
anyone see it in the gta this week?
Sep 18, 2003
147 posts
6 upvotes
Edmonton
Anyone seen this in Edmonton recently? Was thinking of getting one last time but didn't get around to it..
Deal Expert
Sep 4, 2003
18422 posts
85 upvotes
Toronto
No doubt these machines are amazing... the samples they gave out (ice cream, soups, smoothies) were awesome. They nearly had me as I am a health nut and love fresh fruits and veggies, ice creams, smoothies and soup! However, is this blender really worth $500?

Most department stores have blenders between $50-100 that can match 90% of what this does. Maybe not bringing a soup to a boil. But most blenders above 4-500Watts can crush ice and make your icecream/smoothies. Ice is probably the hardest thing you'll need to crush so any blender that has an ice crushing feature is almost as good as a Vitamix IMO.

http://www.blendersdirect.com/buying-guide/brands.cfm
Not all blenders crush ice. Check the manufacturer's specifications. Usually a minimum of 450 watts is needed to crush ice - 500-600 watts for the most efficient handling of ice.
Jan 28, 2005
236 posts
36 upvotes
Has anyone seen these at a Costco in Toronto recently or know the price/deal they are selling these for at the CNE?
Jan 28, 2007
194 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
I picked up a Vita Mix at Costco, etobicoke location today around 3.30 pm.

The roadshow was there and they had a few behind the display.

The 5200 model for $499.99
blender attachment for grinding down to flour $99.99
nector soy mix, two containers for $69.99
regular 3 yr warranty, but if you buy and register within the week extends to 7 years.

we'll see how it works out. if me no likey, back it goes! :D
× < >