Locked: [VLCanada] MSI GTX 1070 & Sapphire RX 580

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 14th, 2018 4:02 pm
Oct 21, 2005
418 posts
179 upvotes
Ziggy007 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 8:14 pm
Here is my advice to everyone: Don't support the scum companies marking cards up nearly 100% from MSRP to play the market.

Vote with your wallet folks, make these businesses fail.
Yeah, you should buy your cards from companies that sell GPUs below market value... oh wait, there aren't any of those!

Retail stores get stuck with tons of stuff nobody wants to buy, and many have to shut the doors because of lagging sales. And you're gonna call them scum because they're selling GPUs at market value?? Really?
Oct 8, 2008
9 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
All I want to do is make things look nicer on my monitor. Unfortunately people growing tulips make it impractical.

Sigh.
Jun 29, 2016
41 posts
20 upvotes
Newegg has a bunch of 580 and 570 in stock for almost the same price.
Temp. Banned
Jan 25, 2018
216 posts
134 upvotes
I’ve seen some prebuilts that made me wish I didn’t get the prebuilt I got on clearance from Walmart which included a 6700k, 16gb, ssd, Hdd and a 1070 for 1650 after tax.

Then I see 1070s at this price and I die from laughter
Deal Fanatic
Mar 15, 2005
5298 posts
850 upvotes
LBJackal wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 8:19 pm
Yeah, you should buy your cards from companies that sell GPUs below market value... oh wait, there aren't any of those!

Retail stores get stuck with tons of stuff nobody wants to buy, and many have to shut the doors because of lagging sales. And you're gonna call them scum because they're selling GPUs at market value?? Really?
It's called free market.

They are selling cards for double MSRP. The market can respond by resisting these dirtbag tactics.
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2012
1825 posts
862 upvotes
mb
Ziggy007 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 9:14 pm
It's called free market.

They are selling cards for double MSRP. The market can respond by resisting these dirtbag tactics.
The fact that cards arent selling out anymore is telling me that people have already stopped buying.

Newegg should be ashamed for asking $1730 for this card that was supposed to retail for us $499 https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product
Deal Fanatic
Mar 15, 2005
5298 posts
850 upvotes
nadrojcote wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 9:52 pm
The fact that cards arent selling out anymore is telling me that people have already stopped buying.

Newegg should be ashamed for asking $1730 for this card that was supposed to retail for us $499 https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product
Newegg has been the worst offender in the graphics card scam business the past month or two. I don't shop there anymore
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2012
1825 posts
862 upvotes
mb
Oddly for some cards they havent been, Only been bad the last couple weeks. They had gigabtye 1070 ti on for $550 about two weeks ago, right before that I bought an evga 1070 ti FTW for $630.
Aug 8, 2006
60 posts
21 upvotes
Mississauga
jimlzm wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 6:11 pm
I bought a few things from this company, and got them on time. Seems legit to me.
r1lee wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 8:15 pm
Says the guy with 1 post lol.
r1lee - one post, yes, but did you notice his account was created in 2002? He waited 16 years before making his first post on RFD - I can only imagine that he feels strongly about them. (Either that, or he deleted his posts.)
Oct 21, 2005
418 posts
179 upvotes
Ziggy007 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 9:14 pm
It's called free market.

It's not dirtbag tactics. It's supply and demand. Are you a dirtbag if you sell your house for double what you paid for it two years ago?? Or are you gonna be a nice and virtuous home owner and eschew the market value by listing at what you think is a "fair" markup?
nadrojcote wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 9:52 pm
The reason cards stopped going out of stock instantly is because mining became less profitable and buyers were scared off. There's no moral reason people aren't buying them.
Dec 17, 2007
371 posts
47 upvotes
Montreal
martbob wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 4:23 pm
Anyone know the miner situation? Is it still a good investement to have a GPU mining with etherum being at 800$ cad ?

Last time I calculated it was a 1 year ROI. I may be wrong on that.

Mining is a terrible investment but a great hobby that can be profitable, check out whattomine.com for theoretic returns using profit-switching software/pools that auto-exchange into ETH.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 15, 2005
5298 posts
850 upvotes
LBJackal wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 8:42 am
It's not dirtbag tactics. It's supply and demand. Are you a dirtbag if you sell your house for double what you paid for it two years ago?? Or are you gonna be a nice and virtuous home owner and eschew the market value by listing at what you think is a "fair" markup?

The reason cards stopped going out of stock instantly is because mining became less profitable and buyers were scared off. There's no moral reason people aren't buying them.
Except the technology industry has a long and notorious history of creating artificial scarcity and colluding to raise prices on customers.

Comparisons to RE are ridiculous because the value to an actual home rarely goes up, the land underneath it does. Land is a finite resource that has special value for factors like being near transit, size, location etc. Video cards can be manufactured in the tens of thousands over a weekend in China.
Oct 21, 2005
418 posts
179 upvotes
Ziggy007 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 9:24 am
Except the technology industry has a long and notorious history of creating artificial scarcity and colluding to raise prices on customers.

Comparisons to RE are ridiculous because the value to an actual home rarely goes up, the land underneath it does. Land is a finite resource that has special value for factors like being near transit, size, location etc. Video cards can be manufactured in the tens of thousands over a weekend in China.
NewEgg and Canada computers didn't create artificial scarcity, and they're not colluding. They're selling GPUs at the market value. Just as every successful business in every market does. And you call them scumbags for this, why? Because you're upset you can't afford the card you want??
Feb 3, 2008
156 posts
130 upvotes
Montreal
Are these guys some kind of Ncix relaunch?
Jun 18, 2017
37 posts
30 upvotes
Jaytee wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 8:18 pm
ETH is moving to proof of stake probably around the middle of this year.
There's no set time frame, no one knows when it will happen.