Expired Hot Deals

[VLCANADA] Recertified TP-Link AC1900 Dual Band 4.3" Touchscreen WiFi Gigabit Router, 2.4GHz 600Mbps + 5GHz 1300Mbps, 2 USB Ports

20 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6025 posts
4495 upvotes
North York
What's the point of a touchscreen on this? Better dust indicator?

Router should be one of those devices you set up and forget about it. Not holding the router and play with its touchscreen every day, are you?
Dec 26, 2010
86 posts
4 upvotes
Anyone know if this router is any good for VPNs?
Mar 26, 2012
19 posts
4 upvotes
Mississauga
konsensei wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 1:04 am
What's the point of a touchscreen on this? Better dust indicator?

Router should be one of those devices you set up and forget about it. Not holding the router and play with its touchscreen every day, are you?
As a sys admin, I agree with you. I haven't used this device before, but if it does what I am expecting it does; it allows users that are less tech inclined to be able to configure their router a bit better than what comes out of box. I've had loads of difficulty explaining to people to go to a browser and type in 192.168.1.1 etc. I don't think it's something you would sideload some games on, but I do think it can allow for users to configure settings directly on the router which isn't such a bad thing.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
14865 posts
2044 upvotes
Toronto
Kreuger wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 3:53 am
For VPN server or as a client?

Many routers can't run as a VPN client.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6025 posts
4495 upvotes
North York
Kreuger wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 3:53 am
Would not recommend running VPN clients on router levels.
There would be websites and apps blocking your VPN. You would then have to log into your router, disable the VPN and restart the router everytime.
Feb 1, 2011
196 posts
75 upvotes
Vancouver
not sure. but search youtube, some video about setting up tplink router and vpn
Nov 6, 2018
69 posts
17 upvotes
The touch screen will be used once to configure router, and you won't touch it for years. It's a little better than useless
Last edited by Jeantran on Nov 10th, 2018 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
11176 posts
1115 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Instead of being so focussed on the touchscreen, why don't people comment about the rest?

I would base the deal on whether performance is good, while seeing the touch feature as being a novelty.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8207 posts
513 upvotes
I own this for a little while then decided to give it to my parents. So they have been using it.

Overall it does its job. Comparing it to my tplink ac5400, it's firmware is very basic, missing a lot of advanced features and yeah after your initial setup, the touchscreen does become useless. Overall coverage is ok.
Nov 6, 2018
69 posts
17 upvotes
rabbit wrote:
Nov 10th, 2018 3:22 am
Instead of being so focussed on the touchscreen, why don't people comment about the rest?

I would base the deal on whether performance is good, while seeing the touch feature as being a novelty.
It's good price. Performance should be enough for most users too. Looks sexy as well. Overall it's great for people has minimum router configuration experience.
Sep 21, 2017
45 posts
26 upvotes
will this router provide a better wifi coverage than the hitron coda 4582 that rogers provide? one of our bedrooms has spotty signal hoping a better router would solve the issue.
Aug 31, 2007
449 posts
83 upvotes
rabbit wrote:
Nov 10th, 2018 3:22 am

Sure lets do that - https://wikidevi.com/wiki/TP-LINK_Touch_P5

Broadcom BCM4709 1ghz, 2 cores. 128mb ROM, 128 RAM.
From what I read, because of the broadcom chip third party firmware is a nada

Overall decent specs for the price? I can't personally comment or verify if this is good deal compared to the competition or other sales cuz I haven't looked in it yet. Just way too many routers going on sale the time.

From my first impressions - if you need something that just works and works well, and touch screen probably makes it even more easy to use for the average joe. I would get it.

If your a power user who likes to experiment with open source third party firmware, this is not for you. If you plan on making this router a repeater, I wouldn't count on it.

You could also turn any old/new router into a wireless access point by disabling the DHCP server and firewall (on the extra router, not the main one) and plug it into your LAN to basically turn it into an unmanaged switch/accesspoint. If all you want to do is to extend the current range of your wifi, this could also be an option.
Cymynet wrote:
Nov 11th, 2018 7:04 am
will this router provide a better wifi coverage than the hitron coda 4582 that rogers provide? one of our bedrooms has spotty signal hoping a better router would solve the issue.
See above, flat out replacing ur old router with a new router probably won't help you in your case. Your bedrooms with weak signal is probably caused by interference and your positioning of your current router. I suggest clearing any possible interference, so like metal objects, appliances, your computer, put the routing away from walls and wiring etc. an see if it helps your signal, otherwise you will need to extend ur range with an access point or repeater.
Nov 26, 2006
597 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto
How is this compared to my Netgear R7000?