• Last Updated:
  • May 11th, 2018 6:41 pm
[OP]
Apr 24, 2018
4 posts
3 upvotes

VOCs: the silent cause of cancer

Ah that new car smell. Deadly.
I'm a retired painter currently on a rampage trying to explain to people about the danger of most paints. Bottom line: call your paint store, don't trust cheap paints. Benjamin Moore and S. Willaims are both zero VOC before colorants, tints are added. Ask what the VOC level of the tint is: do not breathe this crap for weeks as it off-gasses in your house!
Good luck.
Ask any question: I've been working on this for some time now
Images
  • bradthepainter.com.jpg
7 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
3722 posts
385 upvotes
Toronto
If I'm not a painter, should I care?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
5162 posts
5052 upvotes
Toronto
Don't anyone tell the woooo crowd that "essential oils diffuser" == VOC pollution of your house.
Revolutionary times must on occasion make do with considerable abridgements in order to accentuate the political line more strongly.
Apr 19, 2018
47 posts
5 upvotes
Bottom line: air out your house well after a paint and don't use VOCs.
[OP]
Apr 24, 2018
4 posts
3 upvotes
RCGA wrote:
Apr 25th, 2018 2:54 pm
They are all around you.
Wash all clothing before you wear: most articles are now 'finished' with formaldehyde. Like skin cancer? Not me.
[OP]
Apr 24, 2018
4 posts
3 upvotes
bananabrother wrote:
Apr 26th, 2018 1:46 am
Bottom line: air out your house well after a paint and don't use VOCs.
Remember that the off-gassing of paint takes weeks in the summer and months in the winter. You may need a air-exchanger.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6708 posts
4912 upvotes
Oakville
RCGA wrote:
Apr 25th, 2018 2:54 pm
You probably end up breathing in more VOCs in your house than the painter who did the work due to much longer exposure time.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11470 posts
1636 upvotes
City of Vancouver
I was outside between houses spraying leather protectant on a bunch of items this spring. I was breathing in that horrible smell during the process. When it got dark outside and I brought in the items into the basement to continue drying, it stunk up my basement and a bit upstairs. Should I just not spray my leather? My friend doesn't as she thinks spraying changes the feel of the leather.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)