• Sep 21st, 2011 11:39 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2003
1313 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto
I still got a dialtone after disconnection and I'm curious... does anybody know if 911, 0, and other "basic/emergency" calls still work?
Deal Guru
Jul 15, 2008
10543 posts
4141 upvotes
Toronto
Ice wrote: I still got a dialtone after disconnection and I'm curious... does anybody know if 911, 0, and other "basic/emergency" calls still work?

Sorry to bump old thread, but I have the same question.

I still get a dial-tone and I'm wondering whether it can be used for 911 (in the event that internet goes down, and so does VoIP).
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2009
1364 posts
81 upvotes
Ice wrote: I still got a dialtone after disconnection and I'm curious... does anybody know if 911, 0, and other "basic/emergency" calls still work?

No connection, NO calls. Period. How do you think the signalling and voice packets get routed when there's no connection?

Your ATA is providing the line voltage from which the phone produces a dial-tone. However, once your ATA loses registration (~5mins for most people) the voltage is gone and your phone detects this and stops providing dial tone.
Deal Guru
Jul 15, 2008
10543 posts
4141 upvotes
Toronto
apn64 wrote: No connection, NO calls. Period. How do you think the signalling and voice packets get routed when there's no connection?

Your ATA is providing the line voltage from which the phone produces a dial-tone. However, once your ATA loses registration (~5mins for most people) the voltage is gone and your phone detects this and stops providing dial tone.

I'm talking about my disconnected POTS line, which has voltage and hence a dialtone. Thats why I want to ask if it still works for 911 even without me having service with Bell, of course I know if my ATA goes down there won't be a connection to call, thats why I was asking whether my POTS will work for 911 in the event that my VOIP does fail.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
7430 posts
2503 upvotes
BC
chinesedevil wrote: I'm talking about my disconnected POTS line, which has voltage and hence a dialtone. Thats why I want to ask if it still works for 911 even without me having service with Bell, of course I know if my ATA goes down there won't be a connection to call, thats why I was asking whether my POTS will work for 911 in the event that my VOIP does fail.

Your line probably just hasn't been taken out of service yet. If you wanted to test dialing ability, *611 would be a good test, but I expect the line will go dead soon enough.