Voip with Canadian Number to use overseas

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 13th, 2017 8:08 am
[OP]
Oct 10, 2017
4 posts

Voip with Canadian Number to use overseas

Hi Guys,
I am a new member here and I have already searched in the forum regarding the above topic, but unfortunately without any success, shortly I will explain the reason ... At the moment I am working for an international company that has just open a branch here in Vancouver and we are going to request some canadian sim cards in order to contact clients, etc.. Next week, I will be back to the headquater in Italy, and probabily I will be in Canada 7 days/months in the future for business... I have already contacted local phone company (Roger), but the overseas roaming is too expensive even with the promotions plus, my Italian office is located in remote area where there is just one mobile company working and Roger was not able to garantee that the sim card will work in my office.

What I am going to suggest to my IT manager is to buy a canadian prepaid sim card, registered to the company (so they can deduct VAT an other costs), and at the same time to buy a canadian voip number, where customers can contact me and I can call them back (based on this point the canadian voip number must be registered to my company in order to deduct all the costs)...
Summarizing:
1) Canadian prepaid sim card to recharge when I am in Canada (must be registered to the company) - NOT AN ISSUE AT ALL, 90% I will go with Roger
2) Canadian voip number that I can use with android and ios that can registrered to the comany in order to deduct all the costs and that is really a canadian number, so my client will not pay overseas rates to call me...

I need your help for point.2 so, and n.1 if I am missing something

Just to let you know. A couple of years ago I have worked in Australia for 1 year, and luckily there were skype numbers available there, so I could use skype services... Canada has not this agreement with skype.
Thank you so much, and sorry for my English, but unfortunaltey I am not an English native.
15 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4095 posts
460 upvotes
NORTH YORK
xzzxFare wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 4:28 pm
.. At the moment I am working for an international company that has just open a branch here in Vancouver and we are going to request some canadian sim cards in order to contact clients, etc.. Next week, I will be back to the headquater in Italy, and probabily I will be in Canada 7 days/months in the future for business...
You can get a free 647#, 604# from TextmeUp. sms and incoming calls are free.
Outgoing call costs 2 cents/minute. When using the app, you need to be on wifi or 4g to operate
Payment can be made through paypal.
You can call back from EU back to Canada at around 2 cents a minute.
I suggest you get a free number from them first and test out the voice quality thereof by calling in (free) .
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
free TextmeUp SMS & incoming call
[OP]
Oct 10, 2017
4 posts
Hi Daniel,
thank you so much for your quick reply. i have tried the app, and at least with android it seems very usefull. Thank you a lot. Last question, due the fact that you seems very confident with this app, please can you confirm that the number will be mine "forever" or after a couple months / years I cannot use it anymore, and I have to change it, I didn't find this point on the terms.
Thank you
Feb 9, 2017
5 posts
1 upvote
xzzxFare wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 5:50 pm
Hi Daniel,
thank you so much for your quick reply. i have tried the app, and at least with android it seems very usefull. Thank you a lot. Last question, due the fact that you seems very confident with this app, please can you confirm that the number will be mine "forever" or after a couple months / years I cannot use it anymore, and I have to change it, I didn't find this point on the terms.
Thank you
I doubt if they will ever take the number back as long as you have a credit.
But it does quote $7.99 a year (see setting/ # / extend for one year). It seems that only applies when you are not using it or not having any credit.
I will worry later.
What is important is that the call quality is up to what you expect. it is not as good as carrier to carrier calls
Its voice quality does suffers when you are in and out of Wifi and 4 g zone. Say you are talking on the phone on 4 g and you are heading back home with wifi. Once in wifi zone, the call will be cut off because data is cut off. That you need to be careful.
[OP]
Oct 10, 2017
4 posts
Once again, I have to say thank you !!!
I will forward all this information to my IT at headquaters.
In a couple of days I will give you how we are going to proceed in case that someone else, in the future, will be in the same situation.
Cheers!
Mar 23, 2009
131 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
You an also use voip.ms to foward calls to your Italian mobile with your Canadian VOIP number. And can use SpeakOut PAYG when back in Canada (7-11) which I believe is on the Rogers network anyways. Credit lasts a whole year I think.
Deal Guru
Mar 25, 2003
10985 posts
1371 upvotes
Markham
I use Fongo App. Get Local GTA#
and people can call you and you can call them for free (need data or Wifi)
80TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 60TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
40TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
11TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2012 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro / 6TB HP Mediasmart EX 485
[OP]
Oct 10, 2017
4 posts
Hi guys, first of all I would like to thank you for the replies... I found a problem with Text me up (at least with my phone Xiaomi model). If the phone is in stand by , it doesn't ring, and nothing happened in the display... you have to open the app then check on history, and finally you will see the lost call...
It seems to be a very big issue...
I will try, as suggested with Fongo App... in Android Market I am not able to find it, there is just the version "Fongo World Edition" and they will charge me 8.5 CAD roughly ... I saw that in amazon canada I can download the app for free, and it is called "Fongo - Free Calls + Free Texts". Please can someone tell me if the app in amazon market is the right one, and confirm that I can receive sms, in order to register the number with what's app ?

I will try to use Voip.ms in the case that Fongo will not working properly

Thank you so much
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4095 posts
460 upvotes
NORTH YORK
xzzxFare wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 6:27 pm
Hi guys, first of all I would like to thank you for the replies... I found a problem with Text me up (at least with my phone Xiaomi model). If the phone is in stand by , it doesn't ring, and nothing happened in the display... you have to open the app then check on history, and finally you will see the lost call...
You need to set up the ring tone at Textmeup setting/ phone/ ring tone.
It rings
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
Deal Guru
Mar 25, 2003
10985 posts
1371 upvotes
Markham
xzzxFare wrote:
I will try, as suggested with Fongo App... in Android Market I am not able to find it, there is just the version "Fongo World Edition" and they will charge me 8.5 CAD roughly ... I saw that in amazon canada I can download the app for free, and it is called "Fongo - Free Calls + Free Texts". Please can someone tell me if the app in amazon market is the right one, and confirm that I can receive sms, in order to register the number with what's app ?

Thank you so much
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... oice&hl=en
80TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 60TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
40TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
11TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2012 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro / 6TB HP Mediasmart EX 485
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
2339 posts
435 upvotes
Toronto
Try www.freephoneline.com they own fongo but you can pay $50 to buy SIP account to use with VoIP apps on your smartphone or if you want to use landline phone, you can buy ATA adaptor like obihai 100 to receive and send calls from anywhere like from Italy. It's free to sign up and get a local number, free to call most of cities in Canada too.
Dec 15, 2015
23 posts
1 upvote
Canada
xzzxFare wrote:

Thank you so much
This must be a problem with Android or your phone, I don't have this issue. I'm currently using it in a 1 month trial basis, worked well today. Saw all incoming and texts for work.

To answer the inquiry on the number, I looked into this myself too.

I got the 4.99 Unlimited plan, and paid $2.79 to remove ads for 1 month. Since this is just 1 month trial.

I had planned to pay $11.99 to remove ads permanently if I am satisfied by the end of 30 days, and would continue paying the 4.99 on subscription. But, I've come to realize the 6.49 for "Remove Ads + Unlimited Calls" is the better plan. Because it keeps your number for every month you subscribe to. If I paid 11.99 to remove ads permanently, then pay the $6 annually to guarantee my number is safe (in case of a long vacation or something), then it comes out just about 6.49/6.50 a year as well.

Sure I could do that anyway then continue to save $1.50 every month afterwards, but it seems messy and I have to remember to renew the $6 annual fee. I cancelled the 4.99 subscription, so in about 30 days I will have to remember to re-subscribe for the 6.49 monthly plan. But that will make things easier going forward.

A question I have though in regards to textmeup, if danieltoronto or someone else more experienced can answer - what if we add a second number in textmeup, does it need another 6.49 / month plan, or do we just need to lock it with the $6 / year annual fee to secure the number?

I don't foresee myself requiring another number. But it's "good to know".
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4095 posts
460 upvotes
NORTH YORK
@CSX222
what if we add a second number in textmeup, does it need another 6.49 / month plan, or do we just need to lock it with the $6 / year annual fee to secure the number?I don't foresee myself requiring another number. But it's "good to know".
AFAIK, only one number and one app is allowed in one phone (even for dual SIM)
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4095 posts
460 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Wow something new. I never saw that in my phone.
There are other changes. I used to be able to access my TextmeUp text and all contacts on my desktop. All of a sudden, this is gone.
And according to TextmeUp, the feature will be introduced later
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan