Voip with Canadian Number to use overseas

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2018 9:52 pm
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5034 posts
655 upvotes
NORTH YORK
On second thought, the feature of having more than one number is useful for business use. But for personal use and in respect of the small real estate on a cell, use of 2 or more # is not quite practical.
@CSX222 is using it for business. The availability of multi number is a HUGE PLUS with each company or subsidarary or department having a different #
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5034 posts
655 upvotes
NORTH YORK
xzzxFare wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 6:27 pm
Hi guys, first of all I would like to thank you for the replies... I found a problem with Text me up (at least with my phone Xiaomi model). If the phone is in stand by , it doesn't ring, and nothing happened in the display... you have to open the app then check on history, and finally you will see the lost call...
It seems to be a very big issue...
I will try, as suggested with Fongo App... in Android Market I am not able to find it, there is just the version "Fongo World Edition" and they will charge me 8.5 CAD roughly ... I saw that in amazon canada I can download the app for free, and it is called "Fongo - Free Calls + Free Texts". Please can someone tell me if the app in amazon market is the right one, and confirm that I can receive sms, in order to register the number with what's app ?

I will try to use Voip.ms in the case that Fongo will not working properly

Thank you so much
Hi
I have found out that using Textmeup with 4g or LTE (3 bars or above not wifi) for calls results in sound quality very close to that of carrier to carrier call. Try that out.
I wasn't aware of the difference until 2 days ago.
That applies to all VOIP calls. Test their respective results only with LTE or 4 g
Daniel

Sep 11, 2018
6 posts
Sorry to resurrect an old post, but I have just switched from an HTC phone to Xiaomi Redmi Note 5A Prime and ever since doing so have found that I don't receive any incoming calls or messages on TextMeUp when connected to 4G data (it kind of works on Wifi). I've spent ages trying to find the cause and eventually searched the internet and found this post. It seems strange - I can't work out what to change! Did you solve it?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5034 posts
655 upvotes
NORTH YORK
jeremyporteous wrote:
Sep 12th, 2018 6:28 pm
Sorry to resurrect an old post, but I have just switched from an HTC phone to Xiaomi Redmi Note 5A Prime and ever since doing so have found that I don't receive any incoming calls or messages on TextMeUp when connected to 4G data (it kind of works on Wifi). I've spent ages trying to find the cause and eventually searched the internet and found this post. It seems strange - I can't work out what to change! Did you solve it?
You may not be able to find the solution out if you continue with xiaomi.
Xiaomi server is located in China PRC whereas HTC server is in China ROC (Taiwan). If you have access maybe you can try out Asus phone also with its server in ROC (China).
Textmeup does not have setting for different server at all.
Another way is to use TextNow or other Voip app. See if that helps
Daniel

Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
3102 posts
835 upvotes
Toronto
jeremyporteous wrote:
Sep 12th, 2018 6:28 pm
I noticed my VoIP app gets wacky when enabling under wifi setting "switch to mobile data if wifi connection is bad" . Also on TextNow app , there is setting similar to above something like "switch to better data or wifi" and enabling that messed everything up. Double check your phone settings disable these auto switching settings.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5034 posts
655 upvotes
NORTH YORK
danieltoronto wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 5:11 pm
You can get a free 647#, 604# from TextmeUp. sms and incoming calls are free.
Outgoing call costs 2 cents/minute. When using the app, you need to be on wifi or 4g to operate
Things have changed since Oct 2017.
Now it is free call(to US/Can)/text/free number (as long as you are in Can/Us). If you do not use that frequent enough they take your # away.
That is the fun part to prevent that and without paying a cent. Every 3 days make sure you call or text at least once (say call your home until its VM takes over). That is fair as they need to get some payment for providing their service.
Other helpful hints:
1.I need to try out out next time when I am in London. The VOIP confirms that if you are in London, you can call local London # free too.
2.I hate the advertisement while texting on the cell. But you can take all those advertisement out as well when you text on the desktop. Here is a screen shot
.................Image
Daniel

Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2005
1097 posts
41 upvotes
Mississauga
danieltoronto wrote:
Sep 14th, 2018 1:15 am
Things have changed since Oct 2017.
Now it is free call(to US/Can)/text/free number (as long as you are in Can/Us). If you do not use that frequent enough they take your # away.
That is the fun part to prevent that and without paying a cent. Every 3 days make sure you call or text at least once (say call your home until its VM takes over). That is fair as they need to get some payment for providing their service.
Other helpful hints:
1.I need to try out out next time when I am in London. The VOIP confirms that if you are in London, you can call local London # free too.
2.I hate the advertisement while texting on the cell. But you can take all those advertisement out as well when you text on the desktop. Here is a screen shot
.................Image
Sorry, how do you get it to do free texting or calling? Want to use this for my kid for emergency calling with his fido data only phone..
thanks for your help..
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5034 posts
655 upvotes
NORTH YORK
imnew wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 7:47 am
Sorry, how do you get it to do free texting or calling? Want to use this for my kid for emergency calling with his fido data only phone..
thanks for your help..
You can get a local Textmeup # (say Toronto 647, 437) from Playstore and start texting and calling , VM right away (you need wifi or data). No harm in trying
The advertisement while texting is disturbing indeed on a cell. But if you use your browser on your desktop/laptop/netbook to text , then you won't see any advertisement at all. And you can see calls (with CID too) coming in as well.
Outgoing call is free for any # Can /U S as long as you are in Can/US.
It is around 3 cents a minute calling countries in E U or the Far East
Demerit or Drawback : no porting in #
You will be urged to pay for the number you just have got. To get around that without paying, you can call say your home phone once every three days to keep using the #. Or they take the # away which is fair as it costs them to provide you with servce.
Daniel

Sep 11, 2018
6 posts
danieltoronto wrote:
Sep 13th, 2018 8:11 pm
You may not be able to find the solution out if you continue with xiaomi.
Xiaomi server is located in China PRC whereas HTC server is in China ROC (Taiwan). If you have access maybe you can try out Asus phone also with its server in ROC (China).
Textmeup does not have setting for different server at all.
Another way is to use TextNow or other Voip app. See if that helps
I'm not using any Xiaomi servers. I'm using the TextMeUp app (v3.13.2). It works fine on Wifi, but on 4G data it does NOT work for incoming calls/messages. The same SIM and app work fine in another non-Xiaomi phone (Blu). I don't think it's possible to set up with another Voip app.

Switch to mobile data if wifi connection is bad is NOT enabled in Wifi settings, and battery/power saving on the TextMeUp app is DISABLED.

I can't see any similar settings in TextMeUp app although I think it is the same company as TextNow.
Oct 1, 2009
235 posts
59 upvotes
Welcome to rfd.

Since I'm frugal, I only have fongo as my main and only number. I do pay roughly $11 bux (after taxes) for 6 months of texting.

Can't complain too much about it. I use it, it works.some minor issues here and there but it doesn't bother me that much.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5034 posts
655 upvotes
NORTH YORK
jeremyporteous wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 11:06 am
I'm not using any Xiaomi servers. I'm using the TextMeUp app (v3.13.2). It works fine on Wifi, but on 4G data it does NOT work for incoming calls/messages. The same SIM and app work fine in another non-Xiaomi phone (Blu). I don't think it's possible to set up with another Voip app.
What is the signal strength of your data SIM in ? dBm and ? asu
My guess is that your dBm is over 100 (=sub par. ). Both figures are smaller the better
Daniel

Sep 11, 2018
6 posts
danieltoronto wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 7:00 pm
What is the signal strength of your data SIM in ? dBm and ? asu
My guess is that your dBm is over 100 (=sub par. ). Both figures are smaller the better
It's shouldn't be a signal strength issue as I'm in the middle of a big city and it works fine in the exact same location with the same SIM/app in another phone (dBm is -79). I've also tried another data SIM from a different carrier in the Xiaomi phone and this has the exact same problems and given others have reported an issue with the Xiaomi it must be something to do with the phone and perhaps the slightly different operating system MIUI?

I already tried setting TextMeUp app to Autostart, ensuring permissions include "Start in background" and changing Battery Saver to "No restrictions" but am not sure what else could be changed.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5034 posts
655 upvotes
NORTH YORK
jeremyporteous wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 11:06 am
BLu , if I am correct, use non (China PRC) server as it can be bought at B&H and newegg.ca.
See if you can borrow a Samsung or Asus phones to test if the problem came from the PRC server!!!!
Daniel

Sep 11, 2018
6 posts
danieltoronto wrote:
Sep 16th, 2018 4:06 am
BLu , if I am correct, use non (China PRC) server as it can be bought at B&H and newegg.ca.
See if you can borrow a Samsung or Asus phones to test if the problem came from the PRC server!!!!
I'm not sure what the relevance of a China or not server is, since I'm using the TextMeUp app so it should use their own servers. Also Blu is an American company not Chinese, and it also works fine on an HTC phone.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5034 posts
655 upvotes
NORTH YORK
jeremyporteous wrote:
Sep 16th, 2018 5:05 pm
I'm not sure what the relevance of a China or not server is, since I'm using the TextMeUp app so it should use their own servers. Also Blu is an American company not Chinese, and it also works fine on an HTC phone.
Yes. Textmeup uses it's own server. And so do Facebook, Twitter, whAtsapp, Skype.....None of them can get through the server of the nation with the most powerful censorship on earth
Daniel