• Jun 4th, 2018 4:32 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 2, 2013
986 posts
110 upvotes
Mississauga

VOIP.ms

I've read/ heard tons about people using Voip.ms on top of data plans to get away from the pathetic services and prices offered by our big 3 wireless operators. I've finally had enough myself and am planning to go that route.
A few questions :

1. Is VoIP.ms the recommended service? Are there others that are better/ cheaper but still decent/ more recommended?
2. Is there texting too, or is it voice only? What's the interface like? (Android or iPhone-wise. Is there an app? How does it work?)
3. What are a majority of people using for data to use VoIP, and whats the data usage like? How much data do you use in an "average" month?
4. Who are you using for data provider to be able to use VoIP without Wifi?
5. Any restrictions on international usage? (frequent traveller - short, sporadic trips).

Appreciate the info!
108 replies
Jun 21, 2008
279 posts
53 upvotes
mississauga
apoorv wrote:
Apr 13th, 2017 3:10 pm
I've read/ heard tons about people using Voip.ms on top of data plans to get away from the pathetic services and prices offered by our big 3 wireless operators. I've finally had enough myself and am planning to go that route.
A few questions :

1. Is VoIP.ms the recommended service? Are there others that are better/ cheaper but still decent/ more recommended?
2. Is there texting too, or is it voice only? What's the interface like? (Android or iPhone-wise. Is there an app? How does it work?)
3. What are a majority of people using for data to use VoIP, and whats the data usage like? How much data do you use in an "average" month?
5. Any restrictions on international usage? (frequent traveller - short, sporadic trips).

Appreciate the info!
1. i went full on with voip.ms for my main line after testing for about a year.
2. texting is included on certain #'s, and it is free so far
3. im using the fido 3gb data plan since about a month ago, data usage is very minimal(so are my phone calls), also i'm on wifi at home as well
4. see above
5. i have tested it vigorously from home and in the area, but not away from my home province etc. The call quality is pretty good. I also used fong and hangouts for a while, but the reliability of voip.ms made me stick to it for now. hope this answers your questions. There is a lot of resources on RFD to draw from, use them
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4698 upvotes
apoorv wrote:
It's what I use. Not that I have any weight around here.
It depends on the DID. I think most of the newer ones have it now. It'll show a little icon if it's SMS capable. No MMS though.
(Their) UI is horrible. It's a "mobile" site and is just... bad.
There's 3rd party apps though and they work pretty well. https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... _sms&hl=en
It works just as expected.

I haven't measured it separately but it depends on the codec.
SMS doesn't use much since it's just text.
Voice uses a little more. If you can use better codec, you can get down to 10kB/s. So it depends on the call volume.
Virgin
Has to be LTE
As long as you have decent internet, you can have service.
Feb 11, 2007
870 posts
463 upvotes
Toronto
I'm thinking of trying voip.ms also but there's also Callcentric which is cheaper depending on your usage. Any thoughts?
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
2050 posts
914 upvotes
apoorv wrote:
VoIP.ms is a very good service. It is especially good for low usage users (which most people going the data-only route are) because the monthly fees for the number are low so there is no commitment.
For higher usage there are better options (flat fee) but they may not support SMS. These are usually "home phone" or business VoIP providers.
apoorv wrote:
There is texting (SMS) and it's currently free. There is also text forwarding to email or another number. VoIP.ms is just a service provider, they don't have apps. You can find third-party apps, but my experience is that you would need one calling app (SIP client) and one texting app (VoIP.ms specific third party apps). I have found that Google Hangouts works best for calling in terms of quality, reliability and battery use both on Android and iOS. The catch is that Google Hangouts is not a SIP app, so you can't just enter your VoIP.ms username/password, you instead forward your VoIP.ms number to a US Google-issued number (and pay a cent or so per minute to voipms). SMS can also be forwarded to Hangouts the same way.
apoorv wrote:
Fido. Data usage is 1MB per minute. I mostly use WiFi.
apoorv wrote:
This is the best setup for international usage. All you need is a data-only SIM or WiFi and your phone works everywhere in the world with no extra charges. FreedomPop SIMs cover most of the western world for data, and the great part is that your phone number is not bound to the SiM, once you use up your data allowance you just swap the SiM with next one, essentially giving you free unlimited service.
Nov 27, 2014
8 posts
4 upvotes
Bragg Creek, AB
I also use voip.ms service. I use Fido's $15/month data only plan. I have 3GB / month for that price, although it appears that deal is gone, and now you only get 2GB/month. Still that is plenty for a lot of phone calls and texts. I run the VoIP.ms SMS app from the google play store for texts.

For the SIP app I run the bria app, which I found to be more reliable then the free options, and also very easy to setup.

Another plus is with voip.ms I was able to set up a physical SIP phone at my house, which also rings when someone dials my number. So I can choose to talk on my cell phone or the physical sip phone.

My only complaints are that if someone sends you an MMS message, you will not get it, and no one is notified that the message did not go through. I've had people try to send me maps using MMS, that I never got, which was annoying.

Second, I find there is a bit of delay in the calls sometimes which is longer than a normal cell call or land line call. That can get to you. But overall I'm really happy with the setup, you can't beat the price!

Actually I've been wondering if the delay may be better on the iPhone. My physical sip phone has no delay at all connected to voip.ms, it is only present when I talk using voip.ms on my Samsung Galaxy S6.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2007
2075 posts
628 upvotes
Toronto
msauer wrote:
Apr 16th, 2017 10:54 pm
I also use voip.ms service. I use Fido's $15/month data only plan. I have 3GB / month for that price, although it appears that deal is gone, and now you only get 2GB/month. Still that is plenty for a lot of phone calls and texts. I run the VoIP.ms SMS app from the google play store for texts.

For the SIP app I run the bria app, which I found to be more reliable then the free options, and also very easy to setup.

Another plus is with voip.ms I was able to set up a physical SIP phone at my house, which also rings when someone dials my number. So I can choose to talk on my cell phone or the physical sip phone.

My only complaints are that if someone sends you an MMS message, you will not get it, and no one is notified that the message did not go through. I've had people try to send me maps using MMS, that I never got, which was annoying.

Second, I find there is a bit of delay in the calls sometimes which is longer than a normal cell call or land line call. That can get to you. But overall I'm really happy with the setup, you can't beat the price!

Actually I've been wondering if the delay may be better on the iPhone. My physical sip phone has no delay at all connected to voip.ms, it is only present when I talk using voip.ms on my Samsung Galaxy S6.
Hi msauer, after reading this thread, as well as some other threads, if I keep my Fido data (old 6GB for $35/mth), and drop my talk & text plan ($36/mth), I guess I could port my phone # over to VoIP.ms, yes?

Also, may I ask why you downloaded the Bria app please? Like, would you still be able to phone calls & send/receive text with just VoIP.ms alone? What will the Bria app do that the VoIP.ms or Fongo app not be able to do? Or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
2050 posts
914 upvotes
tigerhawk33 wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2017 4:28 pm
Hi msauer, after reading this thread, as well as some other threads, if I keep my Fido data (old 6GB for $35/mth), and drop my talk & text plan ($36/mth), I guess I could port my phone # over to VoIP.ms, yes?

Also, may I ask why you downloaded the Bria app please? Like, would you still be able to phone calls & send/receive text with just VoIP.ms alone? What will the Bria app do that the VoIP.ms or Fongo app not be able to do? Or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.
The VoIP.ms app is just for text (it is not even an official app, officially there is no voipms app right now). Voipms is a service provider. You need an app to use the service, and Bria is one such app, there are many. On some Android phones you can configure the native phone dialer to connect to voipms. The difference with Fongo is that they have and app and their service works with their app. While VoIP.ms is just a service provider and you choose your own app (SIP client).
Jun 14, 2010
292 posts
183 upvotes
Toronto
tigerhawk33 wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2017 4:28 pm

Thanks in advance.
Pretty sure this won't work. The 6GB $35 requires a voice/text option to work. If you somehow get them to let you kee the data only portion, you can't port your number out, as that will cancel the line.
Nov 27, 2014
8 posts
4 upvotes
Bragg Creek, AB
I kinda lucked out when I set this up. I went into the fido store to look at the LG Gpad 3 tablet. And it just to happened the day I was there, they were sold out. But then the salesman came back to me and said they had tablet that had been returned (open box, barely used). He checked on the computer, and I could buy it for around $90. This seemed like a no brainer to me, as I knew I could sell it for more than that on ebay. I bought it and got a data only SIM for it.

Then I opened up an account with voip.ms, and I ported my old voice FIDO line into them. There was about a $9 charge for the port I believe, and it took about a week.

At that point, I discarded my old Fido voice sim, and put the Tablet data sim (on the $15/month plan) into my smartphone. I enabled call barring on the built in phone app so I wouldn't be able to accidentally make calls using the Fido data-only service (calls still go through, but they are billed at $1/minute).

I sold the LG Gpad3 tablet on ebay for $180, which was pretty sweet! They were $240 new at the time, so the guy still got a deal.

Initally I used a free voip SIP application (CSipSimple). It worked pretty good, but it hasn't been updated in a few years, and it didn't always integrate perfectly into my phone. I thought I would try a paid SIP app. So I bought Bria, which was less that $10, so didn't exactly break the bank since I was not paying $90/month for my cell phone anymore.

I found that Bria was much better integrated into Android. Also there was less call delay on the call compared to CSipSimple - the call delay was the cincher for me.

For texting I use the voip.ms sms app, which works fine, although it doesn't support MMS, which is annoying.

I tried using Fongo, and TextNow for voice/texting, but I was really unhappy with the voice quality of both of those, although their text support is way better. Voice quality was very important to me. If you mainly need texting with very occasionally calls, I would just use TextNow.
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2010
1291 posts
484 upvotes
Quebec
I heard that VoLTE doesn't work very well while moving (eg. in a car), how is your experience with voice quality when not using WiFi?
Mar 11, 2009
5 posts
14 upvotes
I use VoIP.ms with Groundwire for iOS. Voice calls work great, especially with push notifications handling incoming calls.

Texting has always been a mixed bag, though. I understand there's a great VoIP.ms SMS app available for Android, but that doesn't help me. There is one for iPhone in the App Store, but it's very broken. For a long time, I used Pushover to received SMS notifications and replied via email. Works OK. But this is better: I discovered that Groundwire has a chat message feature, disabled by default. It's actually pretty convenient to have both voice and text in one app. But sadly, Groundwire's API does not know how to talk to VoIP.ms' API.

I ended up writing an npm package to handle the translation. For the tech-savy, it's available here:
https://www.npmjs.com/package/smsglue

Of course, I also have my own instance running, which you can use if you like:
https://smsglue.com
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2282 posts
185 upvotes
Toronto
Balzard wrote:
May 3rd, 2017 9:50 pm
I heard that VoLTE doesn't work very well while moving (eg. in a car), how is your experience with voice quality when not using WiFi?
The term VoLTE can't be used in this situation because it is different from what the thread is talking about. VoLTE has many other specific optimizations that make the call seamless and require hardware allows this capability.

However to get back on topic, I don't have any issues with VOIP over LTE.
Jan 11, 2018
1 posts
3 upvotes
suderman wrote:
Aug 16th, 2017 6:21 pm
Of course, I also have my own instance running, which you can use if you like:
https://smsglue.com
DUDE!!!!!!! you are amazing!!!! this actually works fantastically!!! I just switched from Android to iPhone and Ive been having no luck with VOIP.ms sms. on android the viol sms app works great but on IOS it sucks. but this little trick you made works very very well! THANK YOU!