• Last Updated:
  • Jun 4th, 2018 4:32 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
3836 posts
324 upvotes
Toronto
I have been using voip.ms and Bria for business for about 5 months now. Prior to that I was using Groundwire.

5 lines from voip.ms feeding Bria. I use caller ID prefixes to identify the type of calls coming in (sales, hr, etc). Bria now has push notifications which was the main reason for the switch.

Overall I am happy with the service. Call quality most of the time on lte is flawless. Much clearer than traditional cell phone service.

Fongo and text me are good for personal occasional use. But my needs have outgrown what those apps can provide.

If you use voip.ms connected to Bria overseas, I'd give it 4/5 stars for call quality. Again it depends on the data speeds and the server you are connected to. You may have to change the server based on ping speeds when you travel for optimum call quality.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8777 posts
2800 upvotes
marc_t wrote:
Jan 27th, 2018 10:10 am
Groundwire has push as well
https://www.acrobits.net/hesk/knowledge ... article=52

For years, way before Bria ever did

Also allows multiple registrations and doesn’t require a subscription
Please do not PM me for technical assistance unless I PM you first. Please post on the forums instead. I help out when I can. Thank you.
OBi200/202 Freephonline PDF guide (version 1.55) can be found here. OBi200 info can be found here. For OBi202 info, click here.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
1171 posts
287 upvotes
Oakville
msauer wrote:
Apr 16th, 2017 10:54 pm
For the SIP app I run the bria app, which I found to be more reliable then the free options, and also very easy to setup.

Another plus is with voip.ms I was able to set up a physical SIP phone at my house, which also rings when someone dials my number. So I can choose to talk on my cell phone or the physical sip phone.
I'm currently experimenting using CSipSimple with voip.ms and the Fido data plan. I find that when both my cell and home phone (with ATA) are registered/connected to my voip.ms primary number/account, only one rings when someone calls. Both are registered on the same server (e.g Toronto4). I wonder if Bria would solve this problem.

When I created a sub-account and connected/registered my cell to that, I can direct incoming calls accordingly using an IVR. For example, when somebody calls my number, the IVR greeting says "Press 1 for home, Press 2 for cell" . I can also call between home and cell using internal 3-digit extensions.

I'm debating if I should port my regular cell number over to my Fido plan (free, just to keep my number), port to voip.ms (US$9 port fee plus US$0.85/month) or just give it up totally.

I have incoming text messages forwarded to email. To respond I do an email reply, delete all the original message and type my new message/text. On a PC it's my preferred method as I can use a real keyboard but I have to make sure I stay below the character count as there is no indicator. On my cell I just use the VoIP.ms SMS app.

One thing for sure, there are many options. As a non-expert, I find the features of voip.ms impressive.

NEMESIS_2008 wrote:
Jan 26th, 2018 11:30 pm
If you use voip.ms connected to Bria overseas, I'd give it 4/5 stars for call quality. Again it depends on the data speeds and the server you are connected to. You may have to change the server based on ping speeds when you travel for optimum call quality.
Where overseas have you tried it?

I'm going to Australia soon. It'll be interesting to see how well it works there. There's a server in Melbourne.
May 29, 2006
486 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto
RETD wrote:
Jan 31st, 2018 7:02 pm
I'm currently experimenting using CSipSimple with voip.ms and the Fido data plan. I find that when both my cell and home phone (with ATA) are registered/connected to my voip.ms primary number/account, only one rings when someone calls. Both are registered on the same server (e.g Toronto4). I wonder if Bria would solve this problem.
Bria is not going to solve this problem. The reason is you cannot have two devices registering with the same account information. If you want to ring multiple devices you have to use "Ring Groups" in your DID routing. Here are the steps to:

1. Create a sub account and configure your softphone to use the sub account. You can skip this step since you have created a sub account and using IVR to terminate calls to your cell
2. Create a ring group and select both main device (ATA) and the sub account (Softphone)
3. Change the DID routing to use the "Ring Groups"

If you are using IVR then you cannot use Ring Groups routing as they are mutually exclusive.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
3836 posts
324 upvotes
Toronto
Hong kong
Vietnam
Thailand
Singapore

Anywhere in the world it will work. Mine was connected to Chicago server.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
1171 posts
287 upvotes
Oakville
sc888888 wrote:
Jan 31st, 2018 9:19 pm
Bria is not going to solve this problem. The reason is you cannot have two devices registering with the same account information.

If you are using IVR then you cannot use Ring Groups routing as they are mutually exclusive.
That's what I suspected. Not sure why it works for msauer though.

Thanks for the advice on ring groups.
Unfortunately I used my IVR to filter out telemarketers and robocallers so I'll stick with the IVR and go with the sub-accounts.

In the list of available servers shown in CSipSimple on my cell, Amsterdam, Paris, Melbourne are not shown though London is. Anybody else have this problem? Is it a CSipSimple version/update issue?
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2003
3300 posts
173 upvotes
Glad I found this thread. I'm thinking of doing the same.

Currently have fongo on the 3gb Fido data plan, but find that a lot of times calls don't come through. Looking for something more reliable.

Sounds like a few people are using Voip.ms and Bria. I currently have voip.ms for the landline so porting the new number in shouldn't be too bad. Was the Bria phone app for android complicated to setup?

Edit: Looking at the porting instructions you have to submit an invoice to prove you are the owner. But since Fongo is free there really isn't any. Has anyone ever tried porting Fongo to VOIP.MS?
May 7, 2012
526 posts
174 upvotes
Mint wrote:
Feb 19th, 2018 11:03 am

Currently have fongo on the 3gb Fido data plan, but find that a lot of times calls don't come through. Looking for something more reliable.

Sounds like a few people are using Voip.ms and Bria. I currently have voip.ms for the landline so porting the new number in shouldn't be too bad. Was the Bria phone app for android complicated to setup?

Edit: Looking at the porting instructions you have to submit an invoice to prove you are the owner. But since Fongo is free there really isn't any. Has anyone ever tried porting Fongo to VOIP.MS?
When porting from Fongo you have to submit a ticket/request to Fongo for your account number and details. They email you the info which you provide to the new provider.
Dec 6, 2012
149 posts
45 upvotes
Midtown Toronto
Mint wrote:
Feb 19th, 2018 11:03 am

If you haven't already tried Bria, I suggest you give Groundwire a try. I have been using for over a year now and i like it. Also you just pay a flat fee to buy the app unlike Bria which is subscription based.
Last edited by donbamo on Mar 9th, 2018 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
2488 posts
564 upvotes
Montreal
suderman wrote:
Aug 16th, 2017 6:21 pm
I ended up writing an npm package to handle the translation. For the tech-savy, it's available here:
https://www.npmjs.com/package/smsglue

Of course, I also have my own instance running, which you can use if you like:
https://smsglue.com
hey suderman,

I just found your post from last summer :)

first, thanks a lot for writing this code and making it available to people here!

I'd very much like to use it, and I've looked at your code. I'm not much of a programmer, but I do run my own server, albeit with serverpilot's help.
I can't possibly go thru and understand all 1000+ lines of javascript (esp in the index.html file). The other files seem ok :)

Would it be possible to run smsglue without the web interface?
Could you make a bare-bones version, perhaps with hard-coded required info (voip.ms username/pwd/DID) ?

Many thanks
Koodo & Tangerine customer since 2006
Jun 16, 2007
352 posts
22 upvotes
King
So the voip clients on android that support push are, acrobits groundwire, acrobits softphone and bria mobile? Has anyone been able to properly configure push with any of these clients and voip.ms? I'm trying with Bria mobile (using their subscription app) and I notice that when it registers with the Bria push servers (CounterPath Bria Push Server 2.0.0 17783) it shows "No registration found" sometimes on the voip.ms portal home page. When that happens I can't receive calls. I can make calls no problem.

Thought this thread might be a good way to solve this and create a how-to post once solved.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2003
3300 posts
173 upvotes
Thanks for the help guys!