• Last Updated:
  • Apr 17th, 2016 1:47 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
4233 posts
1220 upvotes

voip.ms and Nomorobo

Came across with this Nomorobo site that claims support of voip.ms. It's free to use to stop robocalls. I asked voip.ms if they have wiki about how to set it up or use it. They don't have an answer.

Wondering if anyone ever used or using it with voip.ms.
FS : Promise NS4300N NAS,Linksys RE400W,E5151,HBB1,VIVOTab RT,MemoPad 8
16 replies
Deal Addict
May 26, 2011
1804 posts
476 upvotes
Vancouver
Set up the number that NoMoRobo gives you as a forward, place your phone and the forward in a ring group, and route your DID to the ring group. It works extremely well.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Neat concept. I'm tempted to give them a shot.
I wonder what the catch is.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
4233 posts
1220 upvotes
PianoGuy wrote: Set up the number that NoMoRobo gives you as a forward, place your phone and the forward in a ring group, and route your DID to the ring group. It works extremely well.
Umm. Thanked. Sounds good. Have to look into it. So this NoMoRobo is supposed to stop Robocalls ONLY (one that keeps speaking when you pick up the phone). Not other actual human calls.
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2014
1691 posts
1029 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
death_hawk wrote: Neat concept. I'm tempted to give them a shot.
I wonder what the catch is.
Maybe they collect data about every call you receive since all your calls, robo or not, ring on their system too.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Sievert wrote: Maybe they collect data about every call you receive since all your calls, robo or not, ring on their system too.
That certainly is a byproduct of how their system works.
Plus they can technically pick up calls that aren't spam under the guise of spam.
Although I'm not sure how far they'd get trying to impersonate you.

If you're already on voip.ms it'd be trivial to set up 2 numbers anyway.
One "important" (eg school closures, doctor's office, etc) that you don't give out to anyone and one "general" number that these guys could filter because everyone has your number.
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2014
1691 posts
1029 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I'm on voip.ms and I very rarely get robocalls. I only get them during during elections because politicians are somehow exempt from honouring the do-not-spam list.
I get a few robocalls on my Fido mobile phone though. I'm still waiting for the tickets to the Bahama cruise I won.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
4233 posts
1220 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: That certainly is a byproduct of how their system works.
Plus they can technically pick up calls that aren't spam under the guise of spam.
Although I'm not sure how far they'd get trying to impersonate you.

If you're already on voip.ms it'd be trivial to set up 2 numbers anyway.
One "important" (eg school closures, doctor's office, etc) that you don't give out to anyone and one "general" number that these guys could filter because everyone has your number.
Well. I doubt an additional "private number" will work. I was with Primus before and rarely got any telemarketing calls. As soon as I ported my home phone number over to voip.ms I suddenly got tons of these calls. Good thing is voip.ms has a good call filtering option or I'll be gone in no time. I suspect they sold my number to some companies as it is the same home phone number I used with Primus.

They probably won't make money by selling it but they certainly make money when more people call my number because it's pay to use.
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2014
1691 posts
1029 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Avatar wrote: Well. I doubt an additional "private number" will work. I was with Primus before and rarely got any telemarketing calls. As soon as I ported my home phone number over to voip.ms I suddenly got tons of these calls. Good thing is voip.ms has a good call filtering option or I'll be gone in no time. I suspect they sold my number to some companies as it is the same home phone number I used with Primus.

They probably won't make money by selling it but they certainly make money when more people call my number because it's pay to use.
Are you sure Primus didn't sell your number as punishment for leaving them?
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2004
1220 posts
119 upvotes
Toronto
Sievert wrote: I'm on voip.ms and I very rarely get robocalls. I only get them during during elections because politicians are somehow exempt from honouring the do-not-spam list.
I get a few robocalls on my Fido mobile phone though. I'm still waiting for the tickets to the Bahama cruise I won.
When I get repeated annoying robocalls or other repeat telemarketers (yes, RBC... that's you!), I set up some fun filtering and forwarding rules... I forward their calls back to them so they annoy themselves rather than me.

Had a local real estate agent running some robobcalls here a few years back - routed all the calls right back to his cell phone. RBC calls me continuously (despite the fact that I've removed my phone number from their records for this very reason), so when they call from one of their standard numbers it just routes back to their own call centre.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Sievert wrote: Are you sure Primus didn't sell your number as punishment for leaving them?
That's what I'm thinking.
Only my published numbers get spam calls.
My other (private, active but unused, internal, etc) numbers don't get nearly the volume that my regular numbers do.
Jay-c wrote: I forward their calls back to them so they annoy themselves rather than me.
HEY! That's my joke.
Since it's so hilarious I'm happy to share.
Please, feel free to spam me. Guess who is ultimately getting the call at the end of the day.
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2014
1691 posts
1029 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Jay-c wrote: When I get repeated annoying robocalls or other repeat telemarketers (yes, RBC... that's you!), I set up some fun filtering and forwarding rules... I forward their calls back to them so they annoy themselves rather than me.

Had a local real estate agent running some robobcalls here a few years back - routed all the calls right back to his cell phone. RBC calls me continuously (despite the fact that I've removed my phone number from their records for this very reason), so when they call from one of their standard numbers it just routes back to their own call centre.
Does a forwarded call get charged to you?
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
16514 posts
3319 upvotes
I'd tend to think spoofing would make this service marginally useful at best, and a serious privacy issue at worst. Setting up an IVR with VOIP.MS solves the robocaller issue, and like someone mentioned, forwarding repeat callers to Lenny is easy and fun.
Blacklisted companies: Roku, Lenovo, Motorola, TP-Link, D-Link, Samsung, HP, LG, Public Mobile, EVGA, Blizzard
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2004
1220 posts
119 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote: HEY! That's my joke.
Since it's so hilarious I'm happy to share.
Please, feel free to spam me. Guess who is ultimately getting the call at the end of the day.
haha I'm glad to hear someone else has a warped sense of humour! I love seeing them show up on my call logs.. I get a little tingle of satisfaction :)
Sievert wrote: Does a forwarded call get charged to you?
death_hawk wrote: Yes. Still worth it though.
Yeah I'll get over the pennies I spend each month on this...
Deal Addict
May 26, 2011
1804 posts
476 upvotes
Vancouver
Avatar wrote: I suspect [VoIP.ms] sold my number to some companies
For the record, I did not experience this with any of the numbers I've ever had with VoIP.ms.
JAC wrote: I'd tend to think spoofing would make this service marginally useful at best
Someone once asked the creator of NoMoRobo (or it could have been TrueCNAM; I don't remember) about this. His answer was that they don't care if the number is spoofed; the point is that they have a number that they can work with. If they detect that someone with a specific caller ID is doing sequential dialing or calling an unreasonably large number of people at one time, they can flag the number. You're correct that it wouldn't work if the telemarketers chose completely random numbers or used a number belonging to a company that legitimately made lots of outbound calls. Fortunately - at least based on the telemarketing calls I receive - there is not a great deal of that. The overseas scammers are in my experience not very sophisticated, and the DNCL exemptions do not allow caller ID spoofing, so the political parties and similar will have valid caller ID.

By the time the overseas scammers figure out how to get around NoMoRobo, I hope that the CRTC/FCC will have gotten off their collective asses and started actually enforcing the rules.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
Caller ID can be spoofed but the ANI cannot, so if NoMoRobo is tracking ANI it can block it.

I built a small main menu on voip.ms and that has blocked all my robocalls. I have a simple greeting that says "You have called xxx-xxx-xxxx, please press 0 to reach coolspot". Legitimate callers will press 0, robodialers get confused. On top of this, I have a caller ID exemption list to bypass the menu for known callers (family, school, etc.).