• Oct 25th, 2017 5:28 pm
[OP]
Dec 15, 2015
27 posts
2 upvotes
Canada

VOIP Provider in Canada

Hi,
I'm looking for a VOIP provider in Canada that can work with a VOIP app like "Zoiper". I've currently ruled out "VOIP.MS" because they confirmed it's not automatically billing with the credit card. Instead we have to manually replenish funds into the account balance.

Update: Will need to be able to make US calls too.

Any recommendations?

Thank you!
82 replies
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1010 posts
237 upvotes
CSX222 wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 4:16 pm
Hi,
I'm looking for a VOIP provider in Canada that can work with a VOIP app like "Zoiper". I've currently ruled out "VOIP.MS" because they confirmed it's not automatically billing with the credit card. Instead we have to manually replenish funds into the account balance.

Any recommendations?

Thank you!
Voip.ms is really the best in terms of features.
And auto-billing is not really a problem. I replenish it maybe once a year or two, with a $25-50 ... not a hassle at all

Free one is Fongo/Freefoneline, but there are initial setup costs (around $50 to $100).
[OP]
Dec 15, 2015
27 posts
2 upvotes
Canada
I couldn't find any information on US rates from VOIP.ms, do you happen to know? I have to make varies US calls on a weekly basis.

Thanks!
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1010 posts
237 upvotes
CSX222 wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 4:42 pm
I couldn't find any information on US rates from VOIP.ms, do you happen to know? I have to make varies US calls on a weekly basis.

Thanks!
It is negligible, like $0.01/minute... All the rates are listed on voip.ms web site (and they are really the best ones around).

But if you really want to talk a lot to the U.S. why do not you get a Goggle Voice number and use Hangouts? It will be completely free! And the voice quality is reportedly the best.
[OP]
Dec 15, 2015
27 posts
2 upvotes
Canada
Company requires me to publish a number, and it's usually local clients I deal with. So a local 604, 778, or 250 number looks the best. If Google Voice offers that, great. I in fact didn't know they did.

Calls to US vendors require me to be able to call the US, but only the US. Have not had any vendor calls beyond North America.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
12270 posts
1014 upvotes
Toronto
I use freephoneline.ca for all local and non-long distance calls. Any other long distance calls I make with Google voice. I have both services running off a obi200.

Having Google voice is great for me because friends and family in the USA call my Google voice number and my phone rings in Toronto.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1010 posts
237 upvotes
CSX222 wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 4:54 pm
Company requires me to publish a number, and it's usually local clients I deal with. So a local 604, 778, or 250 number looks the best. If Google Voice offers that, great. I in fact didn't know they did.

Calls to US vendors require me to be able to call the US, but only the US. Have not had any vendor calls beyond North America.
Sorry, I might have mislead you. Google Voice offers only U.S. numbers.
(but Hangouts can use a Canadian number as a CallerID!)

Another option for you is Anveo (it is U.S. based, but I think it does offer Canadian numbers). I tried it briefly before,
however voip.ms tasted better to me..
Last edited by Tichi on Oct 11th, 2017 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4276 posts
490 upvotes
NORTH YORK
CSX222 wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 4:16 pm
Hi,

Update: Will need to be able to make US calls too.

Any recommendations?

Thank you!
I trust you have a cell. Instead of using app like "Zoiper", you can get a free 604, 778, or 250 from TextmeUp. sms and incoming call are free.
Outgoing call costs 2 cents/minute.
Payment can be made through paypal
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
free TextmeUp SMS/MMS/incoming call
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1010 posts
237 upvotes
Another creative option for the OP is to combine different voip providers for incoming/outgoing,
like Hangouts with a Canadian Caller ID for outgoing, and
something free like Fongo/Freephoneline for incoming...

Inspire! ;)
[OP]
Dec 15, 2015
27 posts
2 upvotes
Canada
I do have a cell, the whole point of doing this is to eliminate the company cell, so I'm carrying 1 phone, and not two.
I'm not sure about relying on all calls on 2 cents a minute, I have conference calls that run up to over an hour on a weekly basis.

I prefer to call in from the work number.
Unlimited Canada wide calls for a flat fee, then call the US as needed for 1-2 cents per minute seems better. Toll fee numbers such as 1-888 and 1-877 shouldn't be counted as international right?
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4276 posts
490 upvotes
NORTH YORK
CSX222 wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 5:15 pm
I'm not sure about relying on all calls on 2 cents a minute, I have conference calls that run up to over an hour on a weekly basis.
BTW 60 minutes amounts to $1.20 a week or ~$5 a month.
I bought a minute bucket of $10 for 500 minutes of call. That is a lot
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
[OP]
Dec 15, 2015
27 posts
2 upvotes
Canada
danieltoronto wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 5:18 pm
BTW 60 minutes amounts to $1.20 a week or ~$5 a month.
Exactly, then you have to factor in minutes outside of the conference calls, which makes it at least $6-7 a month.

So if other plans are about $5 per month for unlimited calls within Canada, doesn't that seem better? Especially if I have an increase flux in calls, my cost stays the same.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4276 posts
490 upvotes
NORTH YORK
CSX222 wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 5:22 pm
Exactly, then you have to factor in minutes outside of the conference calls, which makes it at least $6-7 a month.

So if other plans are about $5 per month for unlimited calls within Canada, doesn't that seem better? Especially if I have an increase flux in calls, my cost stays the same.
No. A decent unlimited voice plan of Canadian (unlimited zone) costs over $40 a month excluding calls to the US.
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1010 posts
237 upvotes
CSX222 wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 5:22 pm

Ultimately, you have to crunch simple math by yourself, based on your particular needs.
The five options already mentioned (voip.ms, anveo, texmeup, fongo/freephoneline, google hangouts/voice) are the best ones around.
And again, having different incoming/outgoing providers can help if you are super cost-conscious.
Last edited by Tichi on Oct 11th, 2017 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Dec 15, 2015
27 posts
2 upvotes
Canada
Hey, I decided to look at textmeup anyway, since it was free to sign up, there's an unlimited calling to US & Canada for 4.99, that works!