• Last Updated:
  • Aug 25th, 2012 10:32 pm
Tags:
None
Jul 27, 2009
116 posts
74 upvotes

Voip providers

I am just trying to get rid off BELL. By switching to techsavvy, im paying half of what i used to and im getting 3x the speed. I got a phone number line, and the number that i had for 12 years.
I want to switch Voip, but i dont wanna lose the number. I barely use that number, but i get phone calls thru it once in a while.

I was looking at vBuzzer and it looks pretty good. Any suggestions?
15 replies
Jun 2, 2008
504 posts
62 upvotes
There are plenty of alternatives to VOIP.ms. Look into Anveo.com and Callcentric for options.

Voip.ms has been having some issues lately and they only seem to be getting worse.
Jul 27, 2009
116 posts
74 upvotes
Most of the voip plans are ten bucks a month, i dont mind paying that to keep an old number.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2011
1540 posts
405 upvotes
c-ditty wrote: There are plenty of alternatives to VOIP.ms. Look into Anveo.com and Callcentric for options.

Voip.ms has been having some issues lately and they only seem to be getting worse.
No issues with voip.ms here. I would recommend them.

akarimov wrote: Most of the voip plans are ten bucks a month, i dont mind paying that to keep an old number.
You don't need a plan unless you do talk a lot on the phone. We're not talkers and my bills have been around 2-4$/month (plus the DID price).

Recently, my parents started doing long distance call through my home phone for a whooping 0.0152$/minute (you have to pay both for in/out). When they call, they get a message to either press 1 to call me or 2 to dial a new number. They then have to enter a pin and then their number. Neat trick. I've used caller id filtering to direct them to a Digital Receptionist (IVR) with a recording, which sends them to a DISA (Direct Inward System Access) if they press 2.
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2007
2959 posts
463 upvotes
Montreal
c-ditty wrote: There are plenty of alternatives to VOIP.ms. Look into Anveo.com and Callcentric for options.

I don't have any problems at all with them and no mentions of server outages. Maybe its your configuration?

Anywhos to OP I've been using voip.ms and have had no major issues with them. If you are going to use them and want to keep your number there's a $25 port fee over to their service. Do NOT call your phone provider to cancel.

Btw are you using DSL or cable with TEksavvy?
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2004
1113 posts
293 upvotes
I've switched over to FreePhoneLine.ca and use cable internet from Acanac.

So far so good, just a couple of minor hiccups. I always have my cellphone for backup anyways.

Here's a list of some other providers around here.
http://tinyurl.com/29995zd
Jul 27, 2009
116 posts
74 upvotes
Im using cable. I got the 18mbps, but getting 33mbps.

So, if i dont cancel with Bell, how do i transfer the number?
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2011
1540 posts
405 upvotes
akarimov wrote: Im using cable. I got the 18mbps, but getting 33mbps.

You will need an ATA to transfer the voice over ip (like the PAP2T-NA or the Obi100/Obi110, which I use).
Jul 27, 2009
116 posts
74 upvotes
Didnt understand a thing you just said. Off to google it :)
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1617 upvotes
North York
i would avoid vbuzzer.
they are not what they used to be like.
out of all the providers IN canada i would have to say the best 2 i have tried have been primus talk broadband and LES.net.
voip.ms is great but i think they are in the united states. comwave customer service sucks and lots of complaints about how you have to use thier ata.
i hate acanac due to how they treated me in the past. freephoneline is good but they have had entire days of downtime in the past. my 2 cents.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2010
5313 posts
1250 upvotes
voip.ms are based in Montreal. They also have offices in Yucatan, Mexico. Been with them for over a year, had no issues whatsoever.
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2007
2959 posts
463 upvotes
Montreal
akarimov wrote: Im using cable. I got the 18mbps, but getting 33mbps.

The provider puts in the cancellation request. You need a copy of your phone bill and you email it to them.
Mar 4, 2008
118 posts
3 upvotes
At freephoneline you can teleport the Bell phone number for $20. I did this and that was a big mistake. For years Bell are bugging me with letters to go back. After teleporting the phone number lots of unwanted calls with all kind of solicitations.
If you use third party internet provider and have a dryloop with Bell they will limit your speed to 1 Mbps and sometimes lower that to lose internet connectivity.
When you get away from Bell is good to go forever without any trace.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)