• Last Updated:
  • Mar 15th, 2013 12:08 am

Poll: What VOIP service do you use?

• Total votes: 71. You have voted on this poll.
Fongo

11%
Freephoneline.ca

24%
voip.ms

65%
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3308 posts
297 upvotes
ToNIX wrote:
Feb 28th, 2013 9:50 pm
Have you tried switching server?
Of course. Tried Montreal, New York and Tempa (worst ping) servers. And then they had problems with the Toronto servers and everyone got switched to Tempa. International calls were choppy, breaking up and no audio to other party occasionally. It's not consistent. But don't get me wrong their service is good.
mfrania wrote:
Mar 1st, 2013 1:48 pm
I've been testing VoIP.ms for a while now and so far my experience has been similar to yours. The feature set is great and the local calls are fine but I get a mediocre performance at best on international calls. Now I'm looking at Anveo as well but I can't figure out their pricing. Can I just get a "Personal Unlimited" number for $2.00 and then pay whatever I use in outbound calls? What are the "Flexible Subscription Packages" (found under the "Plans & Pricing" tab) and do I need one? Any help would be appreciated. TIA.
It looks like Anveo is cheaper if you don't have sub accounts. With cheaper $0.8 E911 fee (half the price of others and don't know how they make it because last time I was told by voip.ms that they don't make money out of it) and Personal Unlimited $2 plan I can have unlimited incoming and pay per call for outbound calls. Mind you voip.ms is charging in 6s increment as opposed to Anveo's one min. However Anveo still cheaper with unlimited incoming calls. voip.ms has incoming call on top of DID charges. So all in all I guess it's worth to try out Anveo with their free port in number promotion.

What you were describing was to the FREE flexible subscription packages with Personal Unlimited and you will get a year of unlimited inbound calls for $24 (prepaid for a year with free port in).
FS : DSL Modem, Promise NS4300N NAS, Nokia 7710, PM Me
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2008
7792 posts
821 upvotes
Toronto
ToNIX wrote:
Feb 28th, 2013 9:53 pm
Set up a "Ring Group" with your cellphones numbers (multiple numbers work, the first cellphone to take the call gets it, obviously).

Then manage your DID, click "Additional Failover Options Click here to display" and on Unreachable, select the ring group you've created.
Do you get charged for incoming and outgoing to the ring group? To be more specific, call forwarding charges for the incoming call (1c/min) as well as the forwarded call (1.25c/min premium) for a total of 2.25c/min. For ring groups do they charge the same way as if I were to just forward my calls to my cell when my account is unreacheable?
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2002
1852 posts
60 upvotes
Toronto
Wow... such a varying port time.

nearly a month... that is extremely long.
Deal Addict
May 26, 2011
1737 posts
440 upvotes
Mar 1st, 2013 8:27 pm
With cheaper $0.8 E911 fee (half the price of others and don't know how they make it because last time I was told by voip.ms that they don't make money out of it)
VoIP.ms claims they they provision your location information to their 911 service provider at the time you subscribe to 911 service. Anveo provisions your location information at the time you place the call. Anveo's technique is cheaper, though VoIP.ms' has fewer points of failure because the 911 service provider already has your address before you make a 911 call.
[OP]
Apr 13, 2004
681 posts
265 upvotes
Thanks to everyone that's contributed thus far, this thread has been immensely helpful in my voip education.

2 Questions I have:
1. Am I correct in my understanding that with FPL, after the $50 SIP key, regardless of whether you port or not, e911 is included? As well, most outbound calls to Canada are free and you only pay for the inbound calls?

2. I'm about confused with CNAM and having your callerId show a text name for outbound calls. Is this service not provided in Canada, or is it only provided for #'s ported in from a telco? I've been reading the voip.ms wiki and related materials and from what I can gather, the DID they provide don't have callerId naming capabilities... but a number ported in from a telco will/might?
Heatware (11-0-0)
Spongeboy
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3308 posts
297 upvotes
Spongeboy wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2013 2:08 am
Thanks to everyone that's contributed thus far, this thread has been immensely helpful in my voip education.

2 Questions I have:
1. Am I correct in my understanding that with FPL, after the $50 SIP key, regardless of whether you port or not, e911 is included? As well, most outbound calls to Canada are free and you only pay for the inbound calls?

2. I'm about confused with CNAM and having your callerId show a text name for outbound calls. Is this service not provided in Canada, or is it only provided for #'s ported in from a telco? I've been reading the voip.ms wiki and related materials and from what I can gather, the DID they provide don't have callerId naming capabilities... but a number ported in from a telco will/might?
1. I believe e911 is mandatory so you will be charged for to have it included. For FPL, ALL calls (inbound and outbound) in Canada, subject to their telco, are free if you pay %50 for the SIP setup.

2. I don't have any problem with CNAM when I used my FPL to call others with the assigned number. In fact I blocked the number for calling out. You can also set it up in your ATA to have your specific ID sent. Anveo also allow you to set different IDs and choose between them before dialing a number so you could display OFFICE, HOME etc..
FS : DSL Modem, Promise NS4300N NAS, Nokia 7710, PM Me
Deal Addict
May 26, 2011
1737 posts
440 upvotes
Curiously, Caller ID has nothing to do with your DID and where it is from. (In Canada - in the USA it's the opposite.)

With VoIP.ms, if you use Premium Routing for your outgoing calls ($0.0125/minute) Caller ID Name and Number will work. If you use Value Routing ($0.052/minute) Caller ID Name will probably not work, but Caller ID Number will likely work.

Anveo does not support Caller ID Name for outgoing calls and they only have partial support for it for incoming calls. They do support Caller ID Number.
Jun 4, 2007
619 posts
48 upvotes
mohitk wrote:
Mar 1st, 2013 3:23 pm
Yes you can get a number for $2/month and then pay as per usage. You don't really need the packages unless you want those features. They are geared more towards advanced/specialized usage.

Essentially, get the Free plan and a Personal Unlimited number for free unlimited incoming, prepay for a year for free porting and you are all set for $24.
Mar 1st, 2013 8:27 pm
It looks like Anveo is cheaper if you don't have sub accounts. With cheaper $0.8 E911 fee (half the price of others and don't know how they make it because last time I was told by voip.ms that they don't make money out of it) and Personal Unlimited $2 plan I can have unlimited incoming and pay per call for outbound calls. Mind you voip.ms is charging in 6s increment as opposed to Anveo's one min. However Anveo still cheaper with unlimited incoming calls. voip.ms has incoming call on top of DID charges. So all in all I guess it's worth to try out Anveo with their free port in number promotion.

What you were describing was to the FREE flexible subscription packages with Personal Unlimited and you will get a year of unlimited inbound calls for $24 (prepaid for a year with free port in).
Thanks guys. I'll give Anveo a try. Hopefully the quality of their international calls is better than that of VoIP.ms.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
15461 posts
3352 upvotes
chinesedevil wrote:
Mar 1st, 2013 9:14 pm
Do you get charged for incoming and outgoing to the ring group? To be more specific, call forwarding charges for the incoming call (1c/min) as well as the forwarded call (1.25c/min premium) for a total of 2.25c/min. For ring groups do they charge the same way as if I were to just forward my calls to my cell when my account is unreacheable?
Yes. Your DID is receiving a call and the PBX voip.ms runs places a call to whatever number you set which is two calls.
This is why I have desk phones that are part of my ring group so I don't have to pay for 2 calls if I don't have to.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2008
7792 posts
821 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2013 4:16 pm
Yes. Your DID is receiving a call and the PBX voip.ms runs places a call to whatever number you set which is two calls.
This is why I have desk phones that are part of my ring group so I don't have to pay for 2 calls if I don't have to.
Thanks, makes sense. I didn't get how ring group works but it just allows the call to be routed to a bunch of numbers at the same time to see who picks up fastest. Still gotta pay for forwarding I see, I'm just gunna stick with forwarding for now since it works fine when my internet goes down.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
15461 posts
3352 upvotes
I prefer Ring Groups.
There's a few ring groups that I have just one single phone number in.
Makes adding future numbers easier.
[OP]
Apr 13, 2004
681 posts
265 upvotes
Love the functionality of voip.ms, especially the IVR and Ring Groups.

For those with FPL, does FPL offer something similar for re-routing calls (to say a cell phone) if your internet goes down, or the ability to filter out numbers by CallerID?
Heatware (11-0-0)
Spongeboy
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
15461 posts
3352 upvotes
Spongeboy wrote:
Mar 5th, 2013 2:28 am
Love the functionality of voip.ms, especially the IVR and Ring Groups.

For those with FPL, does FPL offer something similar for re-routing calls (to say a cell phone) if your internet goes down, or the ability to filter out numbers by CallerID?
With SIP credentials you could link it to a PBX and filter calls that way. But that's a tad overkill.
I don't know enough about FPL service so I can't comment on failovers.
[OP]
Apr 13, 2004
681 posts
265 upvotes
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who contributed to this poll and discussion. Went with voip.ms and am pretty happy so far :)
Heatware (11-0-0)
Spongeboy
Jun 26, 2007
102 posts
10 upvotes
martinwales28 wrote:
Feb 27th, 2013 4:13 pm
I use nettalk dunno if it is classified as a vo.ip but $40/year unlmtd CAN/US, been using it for 2 years works great. Unit is sold at BB for ~70 and includes 1 year of service. Supports 911 if that matters.
NetTalk is not unlimited. It's capped to just 3,000 minutes of use per month (in their Terms of Serivce). Yes NetTalk is VOiP. I have a Nettalk DUO. Based on my experience, the sound quality and reliability of NetTalk quite awful. I now use both FPL and voip.ms on my new Obi100, and I get much, much better sound quality and reliability than NetTalk.
× < >