Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2012
1434 posts
270 upvotes
TORONTO

VoIP: Would this work?

I'm looking to ditch rogers at the end of this month. I plan on sharing an internet connection with my neighbor, possibly with the 150 down/10 up plan from either Start or Teksavvy.

I want to get rid of home phone and switch to VoIP (Even though rogers is voip? lol) but my neighbor also wants to switch to VoIP. I will have the modem in my house while I give them 1 port from my router to use.

Question here is can I keep two VoIP numbers (two different phone numbers) on 1 ip? And we'll both be buying our ata devices. So will there be any conflicts/technical issues? Please advise.
8 replies
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14291 posts
1970 upvotes
Toronto
Yeap no problem. It will route through NAT on most providers.

Run a physical gigabit wire to him since he's your neighbour (I'm assuming he's next door).
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2007
2669 posts
321 upvotes
Should be fine. Router should have 4 switches, and if 1 is dedicated to him, you still have 3 to play around with for the ATA adapter.
RFD 2009 Wins:
1x Free Song Download, 1x $25 Gas Card (Huggies)
1x T-shirt (Cadbury Bicycle Factory)
1x 3-Pack Juicy Fruit Stix (Juicy Fruit Spontaneous Contest - July 17th)
1x 2-Person Pass to "I Love you Beth Cooper" (FOX)
2x Mascot Toque, 15x Wallpaper Downloads, 3x Tattoo Download (Wrigley)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2012
1434 posts
270 upvotes
TORONTO
blackdragon12 wrote:
Jul 13th, 2013 7:38 pm
Should be fine. Router should have 4 switches, and if 1 is dedicated to him, you still have 3 to play around with for the ATA adapter.
Basically I'll have the modem (1 port) connected to a router (4ports). 3 are in used for myself and 1 splits off to him. He'll then attach another router and do what he wants with his voip/connections.

So it should work correct, would there be any reduced speeds/issues? I'm certain is 150down/10up should be good enough.
Deal Addict
May 26, 2011
1734 posts
437 upvotes
150/10 is plenty of room for two VoIP channels, but anything can be saturated. If you or he use torrents for example, your bandwidth will get used up pretty quickly and there won't be room for VoIP, causing poor audio quality. If that does happen you can set up QoS on your router to throttle your speed slightly.

Sometimes, double NAT can be a problem for VoIP, which is what will happen if your neighbour attaches a router to your router. You'd remove one point of failure if your neighbour used a switch instead of a second router.
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2005
1266 posts
241 upvotes
PianoGuy wrote:
Jul 13th, 2013 8:06 pm
150/10 is plenty of room for two VoIP channels, but anything can be saturated. If you or he use torrents for example, your bandwidth will get used up pretty quickly and there won't be room for VoIP, causing poor audio quality. If that does happen you can set up QoS on your router to throttle your speed slightly.

Sometimes, double NAT can be a problem for VoIP, which is what will happen if your neighbour attaches a router to your router. You'd remove one point of failure if your neighbour used a switch instead of a second router.
+1 regarding the double router. Your neighbour should only use the switching function of his router. I.e. plug into one of the LAN ports and leave the WAN port empty. Don't forget to just use 1 DHCP server on the LAN -- best to switch the neighbour's DHCP server off.
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2001
14332 posts
1284 upvotes
Oshawa
With two ATAs, each having two lines apiece, OP is also going to be responsible for figuring out the port forwarding on his router.
Blacklisted brands: Sony, Lenovo, Dell, Vizio
Deal Addict
May 26, 2011
1734 posts
437 upvotes
In a best-case scenario, port forwarding will not be necessary. I would suggest it be used only to compensate for inferior equipment that doesn't work any other way.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
15190 posts
3269 upvotes
Alternatively you could get 2 IPs and stick a switch in between the modem and routers.
This way you don't double NAT and your neighbor can't peek at all your dox.
Keeps accountability separate too just in case your neighbor does something questionable.

And yeah, there's no limit. I currently have 14 phone numbers routed to an ATA. I can only dial out with 6 of them since I'm capped at number of lines on a single phone, but my other phones in my house can have separate numbers. I just choose not to.
× < >