• Last Updated:
  • Mar 16th, 2024 3:55 pm
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1326 upvotes
Sauga

Volkswagen questions and answers

This is a replacement for the "Ask me anything about Volkswagens" thread. Please keep the following rule in mind:
Retailers and other businesses are allowed to participate on the forums to provide support to users as long as they clearly identify themselves and pursue no commercial activity whatsoever. This prohibition includes private messages. Businesses can answer support questions or provide product information, but cannot offer prices or quotes even when specifically asked for them.
(Please note: I am not associated with VW in any way. I started this thread back when I was a moderator, as an Official VW Q&A thread. If you have any questions, just post them in this thread.)
6327 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2009
5157 posts
1250 upvotes
Caledon
Sounds good ok to me, but can I start my own thread?
[removed external advertising links]
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
572 upvotes
actng wrote: why not just tax these guys and make some money instead of prohibiting them from making a living?

that's what these threads are for honestly.

anyone truly interested in VW for it's technical superiority would goto vwvortex.com. anyone looking in here is trying to buy or sell a vw. so why not just tax them and make it a win win for everyone.
april fools was 2 months ago. or do you mean ability to always make the GTI worst in its class for handling while more $$ from the MKV 3 to the MK6?

if you mean ability to stay at the very bottom of all dependability studies for 10 years running..then yes..technical superiority in ability to make the most unreliable cars on the road
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
7020 posts
2906 upvotes
Victoria, BC
gilboman wrote: ... if you mean ability to stay at the very bottom of all dependability studies for 10 years running..then yes..technical superiority in ability to make the most unreliable cars on the road
Ouch!

But here's a nagging technical question that was never really answered:

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/volkswag ... ts-785059/

I noticed that Alex did not join in that discussion, but someone related to VAG must have the answer to these questions:

- is the problem related to poor grounding?

- will the migration to LEDs fix the problem for good, or will it just result in more expensive repair costs albeit at longer intervals?

- did VAG ever switch from traditional bulb retainers to circuit board mounts with built-in redunancy for brake and tail light bulbs?

- do VAG assembly lines get bulbs and other lighting components from the same O.E. suppliers as other German makes?

- although there are fairly new VW's and Audis running around with bulbs out, is it mainly older Rabbits, Jettas, Foxes, etc. that perpetuate the stereotype?
Jan 10, 2007
967 posts
1 upvote
gilboman wrote: april fools was 2 months ago. or do you mean ability to always make the GTI worst in its class for handling while more $$ from the MKV 3 to the MK6?

if you mean ability to stay at the very bottom of all dependability studies for 10 years running..then yes..technical superiority in ability to make the most unreliable cars on the road
LOL. Ok that's mostly true, but from what I have read on Consumer Reports, VW has made some good inroads into better quality for 2010. That said I would not buy one, but would consider leasing one.
Nov 22, 2009
433 posts
47 upvotes
Markham Ontario
gilboman wrote: april fools was 2 months ago. or do you mean ability to always make the GTI worst in its class for handling while more $$ from the MKV 3 to the MK6?

St. Antoine logs, "Chassis is superb, with a class-benchmark balance of ride poise and handling prowess."

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/hat ... z0p2UBHvr9

It seems they have really improved the 2010.
2nd year in a row it won the motortrend sport hatch comparison (against Ralliart, WRX 3speed)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2005
5983 posts
159 upvotes
all the lights tbelow he tape player for the 2002 golf (base) stopped working, is this an easy DIY job or is a fuse broken?

thanks!
images are not permitted in sigs
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2005
5983 posts
159 upvotes
virtuman1980 wrote: are you referring to the backlight of the hvac controls? if it is, easy diy:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.ph ... light=hvac

Hope this helps.
thanks for the quick link!

so i have to replace all of them? and im just wondering why all the bulbs in that section all blows out together..(all the bulbs below the tape player, in your link, the cd player is off)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2005
5983 posts
159 upvotes
actually, after re-reading it.. it's just for the heater backlight, the AC and recirculation and the two dials on the sides are out as well.
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
17115 posts
3872 upvotes
GTA
we also need a rule to keep the trolls out of these threads.
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1326 upvotes
Sauga
Anonymouse wrote: If it's allowed, I'd appreciate a post of the current VW CPO rates.
Just to clarify what is allowed... Dealership reps are welcome to post nationwide or region-wide details, but dealer-specific offers are not allowed. And this thread is open to any VW dealer employees, as long as they post within the rules.

There's no point in each sales person having his "own" thread. That will just lead to clutter and questions being posted in multiple threads.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2005
5983 posts
159 upvotes
Rehan wrote: Just to clarify what is allowed... Dealership reps are welcome to post nationwide or region-wide details, but dealer-specific offers are not allowed. And this thread is open to any VW dealer employees, as long as they post within the rules.

There's no point in each sales person having his "own" thread. That will just lead to clutter and questions being posted in multiple threads.
Could you merge the other thread together or should i repost what i have asked?
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1326 upvotes
Sauga
afretes wrote: Sounds good ok to me, but can I start my own thread?
It's better to have one thread for everyone to use. It would be good to have other VW dealer reps participate with helpful information in these thread, too. The topic itself should not be "owned" by any one specific sales person.
Sep 11, 2006
976 posts
430 upvotes
Tomy wrote: thanks for the quick link!

so i have to replace all of them? and im just wondering why all the bulbs in that section all blows out together..(all the bulbs below the tape player, in your link, the cd player is off)
No, the bulb is inside the middle knob and it illuminates the entire section. Change it and everything will come back on.

Oh, btw, turn the middle knob to the straight up and down position and it will come out easier. Give it a shot and good luck!