• Last Updated:
  • Feb 12th, 2013 2:00 am
Tags:
None
May 26, 2010
339 posts
125 upvotes
Calgary
Hmm well you guys have been quite helpful. Whats up with the patches on the back of the elbow though? What is that material and is there a reason it is something else or is just a "look". Trying to decide now between these 4

Nobis - Cartel (which I like the style the most)
CG - Borden Bomber
MK - Ballistic Bomber
CMFR - OXTON Bomber

I like the coyote fur and lower pockets (which the cartel doesn't have). Anyone have any comparisons on these? Considering the CMFR is much cheaper is it the sure choice here? Not sure if I am crazy about the colour/style.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2011
1427 posts
261 upvotes
Toronto
CanadaGooseForumAdmin wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 1:34 am
How did that Vietnam rumour even start? Because now that I check back on photos I've saved of the Moose Knuckles labels, I do see Made In Canada... :facepalm: Have I been perpetuating a lie? If so, I deeply apologize. In any case, good to hear MK is all-Canadian again. Now to lobby to get Nobis to return production to home turf. :lol:

Since we're on the subject of materials, here are CMFR's materials labels:

Hmm, in the mk thread a while ago it was stated that the stirling parka was made in Vietnam while the ballistic remained made in Canada. I don't think it was confirmed by anyone though. However it was a while ago and I can't recalled clearly. At least now they're in Canada regardless so that's good ;) .
5∞ Flickr

Fashion hurts pussyboi
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2011
4910 posts
753 upvotes
Elbow patches are a contrast material, "320gsm, Italian made 60% Linen / 40% Cotton Biosoftal waxed finished" material. The Impact Oxton (middle product in XxXSnake23XxX's image) is entirely made from this.

This material also exists elsewhere in the standard jacket, particularly the inside storm flap, the back outside of the collar as seen when the hood is detached, etc.

Since my jacket is black, the elbow patches aren't really an eyesore and are a non-issue. I can understand people hating them on non-black jackets though. Good thing I only like black jackets for myself anyway. :lol:

I'm not a bomber fan, but out of those four bombers you listed, the no-brainer is the Oxton because of the price. Not sure which one I'd pick if they were all at regular retail price though.

Alrighty, I'm off to bed. Wasn't planning to stay up this late, but when XxXSnake23XxX first posted this in the Fashion & Apparel subforum and then here in Hot Deals, I kinda got sucked into the discussions. :lol:
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2011
1427 posts
261 upvotes
Toronto
wanner2a wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 1:39 am
Hmm well you guys have been quite helpful. Whats up with the patches on the back of the elbow though? What is that material and is there a reason it is something else or is just a "look". Trying to decide now between these 4

Nobis - Cartel (which I like the style the most)
CG - Borden Bomber
MK - Ballistic Bomber
CMFR - OXTON Bomber

I like the coyote fur and lower pockets (which the cartel doesn't have). Anyone have any comparisons on these? Considering the CMFR is much cheaper is it the sure choice here? Not sure if I am crazy about the colour/style.
What are you looking for in a comparison?

Err if the Borden is similar to the chilliwack it is less puffy than the nobis and CMFR

Moose knuckle - more fashion "forward". Many of the older crowds dislike the design and branding tactics. Looks very sleek and outer material different. White fox fur instead of coyote. Tightest fitting. Go true to size.

Nobis - only 1 listed not made in Canada. A bit bulkier and warm. Has more technical features than the other jackets. Should size down 1.

Canada goose - similar to chilliwack or discontinued yorkville. Not much to say. Should size down 1-2 sizes.

CMFR. Similar to mk design. Both lower and higher fleece lined pockets. Most subtle branded. Red coyote fur, but stiffer than the cg and nobis coyote furs. True to size or size down 1

All 4 models and removable hoods. Err dont know what more to compare. Maybe if you hadmore questions ill think of something.

They are all similarly warm but personal experience is that since the CMFR is thicker and tighter fitting it is warmer than the CG and blocks out more wind with high collar. Did not wear other 2 brands for prolonged periods of time to not much to comment.

Phone typing, ignore errors.
5∞ Flickr

Fashion hurts pussyboi
May 26, 2010
339 posts
125 upvotes
Calgary
Firebolt wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 1:46 am
What are you looking for in a comparison?
Quality, fit, finish, temp. Is there any reason to get one of these over another other than the price? Does it come down to a personal preference?

Do the Nobis go on sale ever? I could hold out till the summer if they are still around and I can get a deal. My $70 north face parka is doing alright for the time being.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2011
4910 posts
753 upvotes
Nobis is semi-frequently on sale from places like StyleXchange and FadedSoul, amongst other possible retailers. Keep an eye on the general Nobis retail discussion thread: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/nobis-ba ... t-1003269/

That, and we have at least two Sponsored posters here on RFD who sell volumes of discounted Nobis. Give Jimboski or ghostfacechilla a shout. Plenty of satisfied customers. I'm not one of them as I have never purchased anything from them, but I trust them for other reasons. Read their feedback if unsure.

Alright, this time I'm off to bed. ;)
Dec 23, 2009
485 posts
20 upvotes
Markham
wanner2a wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 1:50 am
Quality, fit, finish, temp. Is there any reason to get one of these over another other than the price? Does it come down to a personal preference?

Do the Nobis go on sale ever? I could hold out till the summer if they are still around and I can get a deal. My $70 north face parka is doing alright for the time being.
Nobis did go on sale for %30 off a while back at stylexchange. All the good sizes were sold out fast though. Try buying from Jimboski, he sells Nobis for good price.
Mar 26, 2007
657 posts
38 upvotes
wanner2a wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 1:50 am

Nobis has some QC issues. They seem to pill easily
Apr 13, 2012
333 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
this is a pretty amazing deal...i actually bought my impact oxton, slightly used, at a price higher than what it's selling for in this sale...great jacket, and very warm...before buying, be sure to check out the cmfr jacket reviews in CanadaGooseForumAdmin's sig...it links to all of the user reviews from posters here (although curiously, my review hasn't been linked yet, although i believe BananaWeed is away on vacation now)...there's also fit pics of us wearing these jackets so you can assess what size to purchase...
Aug 28, 2011
294 posts
33 upvotes
Calgary
The Oxton Impact looks like a garbage bag. Passed.

The all-black Oxton Exclusive looks too gang banger. Passed.

So I bought the Oxton Original in (grey)? Size small. I'm 5'9" and 150lbs. Hopefully it'll fit?

Anyway, I missed out on the previous Simons.ca GC sale so this makes up for it. Ha.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2012
2808 posts
796 upvotes
fingwerk wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 4:04 am

The all-black Oxton Exclusive looks too gang banger. Passed.

So I bought the Oxton Original in (grey)? Size small. I'm 5'9" and 150lbs. Hopefully it'll fit?

Anyway, I missed out on the previous Simons.ca GC sale so this makes up for it. Ha.
Small sounds about right for you, assuming average build.

I'm about 2-3" taller than you and about 10lbs heavier. I'm wondering if a Medium will be too big. Small is just not available.. ugh.

I'm trying to get the All-Black Oxton Exclusive because I have a natural colour fur bomber already, leather, I might add. I want something out of the ordinary -- yeah, I'm a bit of a fashionista... O_o Besides, a jacket worth nearly $875, for $350.. I can't seem to pass that up.
Apr 13, 2012
333 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
CanadaGooseForumAdmin wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 1:02 am
I've got a 36" chest. Size XS for me. For the record, I've got a slim athletic build, 155lbs, 5'10". So not much different from you, I would imagine. XS or S possibly, depending on your chest size. Get to a store where you can try on a CMFR jacket to be sure. List of stockists: http://cmfrcanada.com/shop.php Unfortunately the CMFR website is sorely lacking in a size chart. If you can't find CMFR in stores, find your Canada Goose Chilliwack size and gamble. Chilliwacks are a dime a dozen so you shouldn't have as much trouble tracking one down, even if you have to try on one that you find from a Kijiji seller.
i don't know, CGFA...i'm the same height as you, but about 160 or so and have a skinny build (i don't work out) and i bought the M impact oxton...it fits very snug on me and already rides up my waist whenever i move my arms even slightly upward, so it would be hard for me to imagine someone with a similar build being comfortable wearing a size S (even harder with an XS)...
fingwerk wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 4:04 am
to be honest, i thought the same way after looking at pics, but they don't do the jacket justice at all...i bought my impact oxton after actually looking at one in person and the shiny waxed cotton is an appealing look imo...but obviously it's not for everyone...

maybe a fit pic would help? i can't even remember where mine is :lol:
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2005
3398 posts
188 upvotes
Toronto
I've been looking for a warm jacket like this. Anyone know how light these jackets are?
I'm 5"8 168 lbs with a small athletic build
I'm thinking of small but only medium is available. I don't really like buying stuff online because you never know how it fits until you try it on and returns are a hassle with an online purchase.
× < >