Volunteer Cyber Security Jobs?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 19th, 2018 1:05 pm
[OP]
Nov 1, 2013
185 posts
20 upvotes

Volunteer Cyber Security Jobs?

I have quite a bit of knowledge & experience in Information Security (Incident Handling, Threat Risk Assessments, Vendor Engagements, network Security, Networking and Trouble shooting etc.) am not looking to lock myself into a full time job for next couple of months but am getting bored to death meanwhile.
Can any Infosec professionals here please advise or guide me if it will be possible for me to find some volunteer cyber security jobs - such as with Not profit orgs or with Cyber Security consultants so that I can contribute and also learn something useful during my spare time? It could be for something as simple as running vulnerability scans, preparing detailed reports, assisting audit projects etc.
Where can I look for such opportunities?
3 replies
Jan 29, 2017
939 posts
774 upvotes
You can contribute to open source security projects, participate in your local OWASP chapter(or start one), bug bounty hunting.
[OP]
Nov 1, 2013
185 posts
20 upvotes
peli33 wrote:
Jul 13th, 2018 8:57 am
You can contribute to open source security projects, participate in your local OWASP chapter(or start one), bug bounty hunting.
That is a good suggestion peli33. i have contributed to isaca exams in the past so can expand it further to keep myself busy.
however all this provides me with academic knowledge, i am looking for something that will allow me to get down and dirty with real experience - something that can be performed in a brick and mortar place.
Jan 29, 2017
939 posts
774 upvotes
Louking wrote:
Jul 17th, 2018 2:19 pm
That is a good suggestion peli33. i have contributed to isaca exams in the past so can expand it further to keep myself busy.
however all this provides me with academic knowledge, i am looking for something that will allow me to get down and dirty with real experience - something that can be performed in a brick and mortar place.
I don't think you will find many volunteer opportunities with serious work in an enterprise environment. If you just want to run VA scans, you could experiment with bug hunting programs - make sure to understand rules of engagement.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)