• Last Updated:
  • Jan 26th, 2010 11:11 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Mar 9, 2008
216 posts

[Rogers] Vonage Retentions Deal

I just got the $24.99 retentions deal ($40 plan for $25) and one month credit for my plan and my virtual line. I just called and told them I wanted to cancel. They transferred me to retentions. The lady seemed surprised since I've been with Vonage for 5 years. I told her that Rogers was offering their VOIP service with the $30 plan for $20 (see Rogers retentions thread) for a 1000 mins and that this was worthwhile since my usage tends to be between 700-900 mins per month. And I said that I was also getting a second line on cell with the same area code as my virtual line for 0 dollars a month (0.20 PAYGO) with Rogers which would meet my needs since my second line was limited usage.

She said that "New for 2010, I can make you a special offer..." And offered me the retentions deal and a month free. There's no contract or term. I can cancel at anytime. I said, "Fair enough. Set it up." Logged in to check. Credits are there. Done. Report to RFD.
11 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2003
1720 posts
225 upvotes
Toronto
i have had this deal for the last 3 yrs...its been there for a while
[OP]
Mar 9, 2008
216 posts
samson wrote:
Jan 25th, 2010 7:31 pm
i have had this deal for the last 3 yrs...its been there for a while
Yeah, I know it's an old deal. But several comments on here of people not being able to get it. I had called before and they simple offered to drop me to the $20 plan. I just wanted to put up what I said this time to get the deal, for everybody else's benefit.
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2007
2509 posts
328 upvotes
North York
Whats the best deal for a new customer for Vonage - can I get a number for the US?
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
2988 posts
1138 upvotes
I have been with comwave for 4 years, perfect voip service for $9.95.
Jul 28, 2009
141 posts
25 upvotes
switch to magic jack ..... 20$ for the entire year.
amazing
Jul 11, 2005
54 posts
3 upvotes
Honestly,

Vonage was good before, but today there are better choices.

When you get a VOIP line, you should look for what is important for you. Most company nowadays provide good line connectivity. It is the services package that you should pay attention to as well as the price of the packages. Some companies try to simulate normal land lines providing like voicemail, caller ID and etc.. some companies provide free LongD to different parts of the world for cheap prices. Some companies international domestic numbers. It all depends on what you value.

I currently use ITalkBB in Toronto. They provide a great value for the buck. I think my package is $24.99 / month with free LongD to pretty much all countries around the world include mobile numbers. They also have a 8.99$ / month if you only want free LongD in Canada and US. I also get all the normal services like Caller ID, Call waiting and etc for both plans.

If you anyone is interested in my getting my agent just contact myself. The package I got was free 30 day trial with no commitment and also if I sign a contract of some sort I got some free months I think.

Fallen - Toronto
Sep 26, 2004
149 posts
4 upvotes
Mississauga
vonage closed the Canadian office and left everyone jobless, not any getting support from me.
Get magic jack and connect it to an old pc to run all the time and have a line for the whole house.

24.99 comes and goes all the time it runs for a year then you call back and get it again .
Oct 18, 2009
103 posts
41 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I called back in Aug 2009 and got the 24.99 unlimited North America + Europe plan. I got 2 months of credit on my account.
[OP]
Mar 9, 2008
216 posts
It's a good deal if you are stuck with Vonage numbers (like I am). Numbers originated with Vonage can't port. So if you are stuck (which I am since I don't want to change numbers right now), you might as well save a few bucks.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2008
3859 posts
613 upvotes
Windsor
jetz wrote:
Jan 26th, 2010 9:45 pm
It's a good deal if you are stuck with Vonage numbers (like I am). Numbers originated with Vonage can't port. So if you are stuck (which I am since I don't want to change numbers right now), you might as well save a few bucks.
Really? Didn't know that.... I thought there was some laws against restricting number portability?

I'm considering changing my vonage since there's loads of cheaper deals out there now, but dropping to $25 would be a start...
May 6, 2009
125 posts
47 upvotes
For those suggesting MagicJack, I seriously think NetTalk is a better option.

http://www.nettalk.com/

For one, you don't need a computer. And, as for now the $100 price includes lifetime service, unlimited US/Canada calling.