Expired Hot Deals

VPN Unlimited Infinity: Lifetime Plan - 10 devices

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 31st, 2017 2:51 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2012
3853 posts
962 upvotes
I am not using it because they promised a kill switch feature upon disconnecting for years, but still don't have it.
As we all know, the Greater Toronto Area is the center of the universe!
Sep 2, 2007
604 posts
108 upvotes
Alternately you can use a seed box to download and upload torrent files

Your computer is not directly connected to the torrent therefore you do not have to worry about VPN disconnects

Speeds can be faster

The seed boxes are usually more expensive but as with VPN providers prices and options are all over the map
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2011
1006 posts
992 upvotes
Ottawa
Wouldn't it make more sense to get a SOCKS 5 proxy if you're only going to use the VPN for torrents?
Sep 2, 2007
604 posts
108 upvotes
SOCKS 5 gives you a different IP address and usually added speed it is however an unsecured connection
Admittedly better than nothing but still not secure as a VPN is "supposed" to be
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
12430 posts
4028 upvotes
Oakville
Does it matter if your socks connection is unsecured, really?
Public Mobile
Feb 16, 2016
154 posts
76 upvotes
Do NOT get this. I got this deal over a year ago. I can hardly get over 5 mbps down for torrents. And the connection is unstable so speeds drop constantly. Also, if using a "torrents" server web browsing is impossible/disabled.
Jun 8, 2012
199 posts
35 upvotes
wearysky wrote:
Jul 28th, 2017 10:31 am
Well, in theory HBO could sue you, but there's a $5000 cap for so it's not really worth it for them to do so. However if you get enough of these, your ISP is probably within their rights to cut you off.

I've gotten two in recent weeks, after years of never getting any. I don't do much torrenting, just once in a blue moon to pick up an episode of a show that I can't find anywhere else. HBO in particular seems to be pretty vigilant about monitoring torrents of their shows. If I can find one of these VPNs for cheap enough I might snag one, split it with a buddy or two.
Odd. I've been using torrents for a while now although not as much as before due to streaming but I've never gotten a letter. Is this because I use private trackers? Are you using a public tracker?
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
12430 posts
4028 upvotes
Oakville
SHR3WD wrote:
Jul 28th, 2017 2:33 pm
Odd. I've been using torrents for a while now although not as much as before due to streaming but I've never gotten a letter. Is this because I use private trackers? Are you using a public tracker?
Yeah, it's unlikely that HBO has infiltrated private trackers yet. I do so little torrenting that I've never bothered hunting down a private tracker.
Public Mobile
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2006
1314 posts
336 upvotes
BC
illicit wrote:
Jul 28th, 2017 2:01 pm
Do NOT get this. I got this deal over a year ago. I can hardly get over 5 mbps down for torrents. And the connection is unstable so speeds drop constantly. Also, if using a "torrents" server web browsing is impossible/disabled.
I was about to say that I consistently get 25Mbps from the Canadian Torrents VPN. But I just logged into my VPS and found it hasn't been connected for 3 weeks. Doh! Prepare for letters for the next few months.. So while I am pretty sure I consistently get 25Mbps or higher, I am no longer as sure.

So I don't know if its OpenVPN or VPN Unlimited to blame for the disconnected VPN. I had to reboot my VPS for the connection to come up. I have more experience with StrongSwan, which to me has been way more reliable to use than OpenVPN, but no provider supports Strongswan from what I can tell.

Just ran speedtest from my VPS in Seattle using Canadian torrents VPN connection to Vancouver speedtest:
Hosted by Shaw Communications (Vancouver, BC) [3355.37 km]: 197.69 ms
Testing download speed................................................................................
Download: 17.36 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed................................................................................................
Upload: 25.72 Mbit/s

Edit: Switched to US torrents server. So this is US torrents VPN on a Seattle VPS tested to a Vancouver server:
./speedtest-cli --server 4243
Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
Testing from Leaseweb (209.58.139.34)...
Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
Selecting best server based on ping...
Hosted by Shaw Communications (Vancouver, BC) [2389.94 km]: 134.266 ms
Testing download speed................................................................................
Download: 55.44 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed................................................................................................
Upload: 61.34 Mbit/s

The Canadian server had 87% workload but the US one had 40% workload.

Also, my takeaway from the two torrent servers is that they are still intended for "legal" torrents like linux ISO's and not intended for movies/shows, etc. At one point when I logged into the desktop app, I think it gave me a promo of like $39.99 to get Infinity protection and +5 devices, and I was thinking that it wasn't a "safe" investment if the main purpose is for video torrenting as you'll still get your account shut down if they receive complaints. Since my subscription is up next Feb, I figured I'd use it until my account did get shut down and then see what other providers are still standing...

I have my own VPS for VPN and ad blocking, so I don't really need this. But they do have ad blocking servers which would be a decent feature to have if you connect to a lot of hot spots and stuff in day to day use.
Nov 2, 2012
155 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto
I'm using FrostVPN, and can download torrents. The issue is that my regular browsing stops and I can't get access to other websites while downloading. !!!

Just says site can't be found, but the torrent is still downloading. Any ideas why that's happening?
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2008
1523 posts
559 upvotes
I use VPN unlimited ....bought 3 years for $18 a couple years back, have a few months left.

At first I used it for Netflix but that got killed off

So i just use it for risky torrents now (any HBO show and TNT shows) ...speed is ok ....
Nov 29, 2016
23 posts
1 upvote
which best vpn with port forward ( openvpn router ).. need just one for private torrentting.. Pia I never be able to configure that on openvpn router.. Thanks!!
Mar 15, 2005
230 posts
34 upvotes
I've used this service for a few years now and its fine for my light use needs and i happy with it, totally worth the $30 lifetime i paid. It no longer works for netflix since netflix has declared war on location spoofing, but afaik almost every vpn service is in the same boat. As well netflix canada now has enough content that i dont really care.

They dont officially support ovpn, but if you email them they will give you an ovpn file and a list of servers and it works great. Apperently only a handful of thier servers support torrents. France, luxenburg, and ontario east. I can max out my 100mbit teksavvy connection when torrenting on the service using the ontario east servers. - the paris/luxenburg werent terrible either, i remember getting 8-9 megabytes/sec when i tested it. Mind you i'm using this: https://forums.lime-technology.com/topi ... orrentvpn/ - a docker container of the rtorrent app which establishes a connection to the vpn service. :)

The only downside i can think of with this service is that android client seems to have an issue on my current phone, where it chews up cpu when idleing and will randomly crash.
Nov 10, 2012
16 posts
4 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Got a promo code "INFINITY15" from xda and was able to apply it to get $15 off. Have been using it for close to 3 years; not a heavy user, but it's decent. Not a bad deal IMO
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
12430 posts
4028 upvotes
Oakville
hankwu8 wrote:
Jul 31st, 2017 2:15 pm
Got a promo code "INFINITY15" from xda and was able to apply it to get $15 off. Have been using it for close to 3 years; not a heavy user, but it's decent. Not a bad deal IMO
That was enough to get me to give it a try. :)
Public Mobile