Scarborough

VR & AR Discussion Thread [PSVR/Rift/GearVR/Vive/HoloLens/SulonQ]

PSVR

http://www.playstation.com/en-au/explor ... tation-vr/

Oculus Rift and Gear VR

http://www.oculus.com/en-us/

HTC Vive

http://www.htcvive.com/ca/

Microsoft HoloLens (Augmented Reality - Not VR)

http://www.microsoft.com/microsoft-hololens/en-us

Sulon Q (VR & AR Tether-Free Headset)

http://www.sulon.com/

Last edited by TDotHacker on Oct 19th, 2016 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
840 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 1, 2012
2458 posts
464 upvotes
Scarborough
Just watched the trailer for Microsoft's HoloLens for the first time. I gotta admit it seems very impressive. Obviously they are shooting for a different demographic here.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 6, 2004
6305 posts
295 upvotes
GT'eh
Isn't the newer Samsung Gear VR 2nd gen? I have heard reviews from friends who have the that said its promising but you can't use it lying flat on your back.
Ne0's items:Finito
♠ G@mer & t3<h [onnoisseur ♠ Spitting t3<hy lingo since the 80's

Send PM's HERE♠ eBay|600+ ♠ | XB360 GT:Ask? ♠ PSN ID:ILLmatic_KINGPIN
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3206 posts
640 upvotes
Toronto
TDotHacker wrote:
Mar 11th, 2016 2:50 am
Just watched the trailer for Microsoft's HoloLens for the first time. I gotta admit it seems very impressive. Obviously they are shooting for a different demographic here.
I don't think Hololens will really catch on in a gaming sense. I also heard somewhere that MS is starting to roll out Dev kits, but each is like $3000. I doubt game devs will put that kind of money into a niche game for a product that might not be commercially viable.

However I can see it being so useful in professional applications. Imagine a surgeon using it, with it displaying patient heart rate, blood pressure, etc so they don't even have to look up from the surgery? Or a pilot using it, visualizing the flight path and all the information they need right on a literal head's up display? Or an engineer or architect or... so many possibilities.

I'm actually excited for PS VR, because here's a device that won't require a powerhouse PC to play, but provides more interactivity than the Gear VR, and hopefully at a competitive price. They did come out and say that it won't be as powerful as the Oculus, but then again, the PC specs of the Oculus, plus the fact that it requires 3 USB ports could make it a bit unwieldy.
XBox Live: M1GO | PSN: CURRENTLY INACTIVE
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2040 posts
190 upvotes
With the SteamVR assessment tool available, I'm ow even less convinced PSVR is viable. There are rigs that utterly decimate the PS4's performance that are barely squeaking in capable rankings. Even with the external processing unit I don't think they're going to maintain an acceptable level of visual fidelity and the necessary frame rate.

Hololens is still interesting. Not as a product though - the actual consumer implementation shown so far is absolutely terrible, but as a technology platform? It's super interesting.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5335 posts
1737 upvotes
Toronto
Ascott wrote:
Mar 11th, 2016 10:44 am
With the SteamVR assessment tool available, I'm ow even less convinced PSVR is viable. There are rigs that utterly decimate the PS4's performance that are barely squeaking in capable rankings. Even with the external processing unit I don't think they're going to maintain an acceptable level of visual fidelity and the necessary frame rate.

Hololens is still interesting. Not as a product though - the actual consumer implementation shown so far is absolutely terrible, but as a technology platform? It's super interesting.
I forgot to post my results but I tried the VR performance test after you mentioned it last night and my i7 2700K and GTX 970 landed just a little over the "Ready" line. It ran around 120fps the whole time, nothing below 90fps, and visual fidelity was rated as 6.5 "High". The level of detail and fidelity of the demo looked a lot better than I was expecting but nothing mind blowing and if takes a 970 and higher just to pull that off I have no idea how PSVR is supposed to produce anything close to that.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3206 posts
640 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote:
Mar 11th, 2016 10:51 am
The level of detail and fidelity of the demo looked a lot better than I was expecting but nothing mind blowing and if takes a 970 and higher just to pull that off I have no idea how PSVR is supposed to produce anything close to that.
It won't: http://www.techradar.com/us/news/gaming ... ft-1316658

But I hope in that case, it means a lower cost product too...
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5335 posts
1737 upvotes
Toronto
M1GOmigs wrote:
Mar 11th, 2016 11:10 am
It won't: http://www.techradar.com/us/news/gaming ... ft-1316658

But I hope in that case, it means a lower cost product too...
That much is assumed but after seeing the just average fidelity of the steamVR test and considering the power it takes just to run that it makes you wonder if PSVR is going to be immersive and worthwhile at all. If the PSVR games don't consist of much more than basic geometry and flat detail would that be worth spending even $100 on? Is there even any footage or demos of what a PSVR title actually looks like? I'd be interested to see
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 1, 2012
2458 posts
464 upvotes
Scarborough
ReeGee wrote:
Mar 11th, 2016 10:51 am
I forgot to post my results but I tried the VR performance test after you mentioned it last night and my i7 2700K and GTX 970 landed just a little over the "Ready" line. It ran around 120fps the whole time, nothing below 90fps, and visual fidelity was rated as 6.5 "High". The level of detail and fidelity of the demo looked a lot better than I was expecting but nothing mind blowing and if takes a 970 and higher just to pull that off I have no idea how PSVR is supposed to produce anything close to that.
Dumbed down graphics and processes I guess..
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 1, 2012
2458 posts
464 upvotes
Scarborough
M1GOmigs wrote:
Mar 11th, 2016 10:01 am
I don't think Hololens will really catch on in a gaming sense. I also heard somewhere that MS is starting to roll out Dev kits, but each is like $3000. I doubt game devs will put that kind of money into a niche game for a product that might not be commercially viable.
Yea it's on their website. 3k for the Dev. Ed.

I like the idea that it's portable. Also, I think it could catch on with the general public because it can turn any room or space around you into your entire OS. Customized the way you like it. Then smartphones will eventually become obsolete in the future if the idea proves to be successful. Maybe this is also what Apple has in the works with. That would be cool to see as well.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3206 posts
640 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote:
Mar 11th, 2016 11:25 am
That much is assumed but after seeing the just average fidelity of the steamVR test and considering the power it takes just to run that it makes you wonder if PSVR is going to be immersive and worthwhile at all. If the PSVR games don't consist of much more than basic geometry and flat detail would that be worth spending even $100 on? Is there even any footage or demos of what a PSVR title actually looks like? I'd be interested to see
Oh it won't be as bad as you're thinking... it's not like mid-90s low polygon count, flat shaded VR or anything that terrible. They actually had some demo units at Fan Expo last summer, but the lineup was too long and I didn't have time to try it. Games like London Heist looked decent - definitely not like what Superhot or Killer 7 looks like, which are what I used to think VR games would look like back in the day.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5335 posts
1737 upvotes
Toronto
M1GOmigs wrote:
Mar 11th, 2016 12:00 pm
Oh it won't be as bad as you're thinking... it's not like mid-90s low polygon count, flat shaded VR or anything that terrible. They actually had some demo units at Fan Expo last summer, but the lineup was too long and I didn't have time to try it. Games like London Heist looked decent - definitely not like what Superhot or Killer 7 looks like, which are what I used to think VR games would look like back in the day.
First time hearing of London Heist. Looks decent. SUPERHOT in VR would actually be awesome. Loving that game
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5335 posts
1737 upvotes
Toronto
I've had a Galaxy S6 for 2 months now and I've been debating getting a Gear VR to mess around with but between the price and reports of it overheating your device I haven't bit yet. Anyone here have one?
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 1, 2012
2458 posts
464 upvotes
Scarborough
OMFG the NFL needs this and I need this for the 2016-2017 NFL Season
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2008
2363 posts
172 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Mar 11th, 2016 11:25 am
Is there even any footage or demos of what a PSVR title actually looks like? I'd be interested to see
Golem seems to have pretty good graphics, but all the videos I've seen confine you to areas where you can't see long distances (rooms, tunnels, etc). That may be how they plan to work around the performance limitations of the PSVR.