VR & AR Discussion Thread [PSVR/Rift/GearVR/Vive/HoloLens/SulonQ]

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 14th, 2017 8:57 pm
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5778 posts
691 upvotes
Grimsby
future buyers are required to buy everything separately.
I hope that's not true, it seems really dumb. People are not going to be thrilled when the cashier starts pointing out the 4-5 other items they're missing with their $549 purchase. 2 move controllers, camera, games, etc.

And yeah Alien: Isolation is pretty crazy in VR. I eventually got tired of hiding in closets and disabled the AI so I could explore though haha.
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
977 upvotes
Vaughan
Redmask wrote:
Dec 1st, 2016 10:48 pm
I hope that's not true, it seems really dumb. People are not going to be thrilled when the cashier starts pointing out the 4-5 other items they're missing with their $549 purchase. 2 move controllers, camera, games, etc.

And yeah Alien: Isolation is pretty crazy in VR. I eventually got tired of hiding in closets and disabled the AI so I could explore though haha.
You mean the move controllers and camera that Sony completely jacked the price up on? And not a single person has complained about it?

Not a small amount either. $129 for two move controllers, $75 for the camera, $549 for the core. What else is needed?

Basically ripping off anyone that wants to buy PSVR. Funny how no one rips into them for doing this.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5778 posts
691 upvotes
Grimsby
Whether its a ripoff is debatable, its actually way still cheaper than a Rift or Vive + computer/etc. Also I did just point it out. Not sure what you're looking for here, a crowd of people angrily protesting at Sony HQ? People will just not buy the thing which will hurt Sony but they only have themselves to blame. If they buy it anyway well, I guess the market spoke.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
4940 posts
1583 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
Redmask wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2016 11:21 am
Whether its a ripoff is debatable, its actually way still cheaper than a Rift or Vive + computer/etc. Also I did just point it out. Not sure what you're looking for here, a crowd of people angrily protesting at Sony HQ? People will just not buy the thing which will hurt Sony but they only have themselves to blame. If they buy it anyway well, I guess the market spoke.
I don't know how Sony managed to offer such a great OLED screen without any screen-door issues.
From what I've read in comparisons/shootouts, even the higher priced Oculus CV-1 & HTC Vive HMD's still have noticeable screen-door issues even with their higher rez screens.

Most reviews seem to state that the PSVR's OLED RGB screen has a higher sub-pixel count, resulting in a smoother image than it's PC counterparts.
Rift/Vive: 2160x1200x2 = 5,184,000
PSVR: 1920x1080x3 = 6,220,800 (actually 20% higher!)

I only have an Oculus DK-2 for comparison, and I can honestly say without a doubt that the PSVR headset absolutely destroys it in clarity.

As far as controllers are concerned, perhaps a lot of people (myself included) realized that there are a lot of old PS3 Move controllers floating around in the used market.
The plus side is that they were hardly utilized, so most are generally in great condition, as well as 3rd party batteries readily available from various manufacturers.

When I first got my PSVR I already had 3 Move controller from the PS3 days (thankfully I never sold them, whew!), all work perfectly and hold their charge for longer than I've ever played in a single session.
I think I paid around $5 each for them on clearance when new, and same for the charging docks.
Since receiving the PSVR I've managed to pick up 3 additional used ones from EB Games ($13 for one) and a local Pawn Shop ($20 for two).
All 6 are paired with the PS4 Pro, and haven't had a single issue with any of 'em.

Yeah, the new Sony re-packaged ones are IDENTICAL, and there's no way I'd have paid full price for a pair of those when they're easily sourced with minimal effort.

I'm glad to see it's selling well, and hopefully Sony sticks with it.
BTW, there's a new VR playable demo out today for Resident Evil 7:Biohazard, gonna give it a shot tonight.
If it's as creepy as the Kitchen demo was, I'll keep my $49 Amazon pre-order and pickup a pair of brown pants to wear while playing it. Face Screaming In Fear
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
977 upvotes
Vaughan
Huh, there's definitely screen door effect on the PSVR.

I noticed it immediately when I played it.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5778 posts
691 upvotes
Grimsby
Woah! wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2016 6:55 pm
I'm glad to see it's selling well, and hopefully Sony sticks with it.
BTW, there's a new VR playable demo out today for Resident Evil 7:Biohazard, gonna give it a shot tonight.
If it's as creepy as the Kitchen demo was, I'll keep my $49 Amazon pre-order and pickup a pair of brown pants to wear while playing it. Face Screaming In Fear
I think it'll sell a lot better if they keep offering people multiple SKU options but fair enough.

How was the RE7 demo?
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2003
3364 posts
989 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
I'm still waiting for Bestbuy.ca to charge my credit card for my Oculus Touch preorder. I hope it comes tomorrow or Wednesday. The initial reviews seem to be very positive. I can't wait for people to try it over the holidays. I get just as much enjoyment watching others in VR for the first time as I do using it myself.

edit: so bestbuy changed the release date from Dec 6 to dec 23. ON THE RELEASE DATE. Totally unacceptable. If they would have let people know before the pre order window was over, we could have pre ordered direct from Oculus. I hate this company so much.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
4940 posts
1583 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
Redmask wrote:
Dec 4th, 2016 10:53 pm
How was the RE7 demo?
Insanely creepy. Face Screaming In Fear
I'm DEFINATELY keeping my $50 Amazon Prime pre-order for RE VII.
Can't believe that the entire game is gonna be fully playable in VR.

I'm just downloading the free PS+ VR game Hyper Void now, plus the Star Wars X-Wing VR mission.

Between owning the PSVR, and now an Oculus DK2 for the PC, I'm feeling like there's almost too much VR content available.
Be careful what you wish for, LOL!!!!! Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2008
2363 posts
171 upvotes
My Oculus Touch order has been 'shipped' for almost a day, but UPS still aren't showing it as in transit. Hopefully it will go out at some point today.

BTW, Virtuix, the people making the Omni treadmill, just cancelled all non-US orders, except to Chinese arcades. So the only way to get one in Canada now is ebay or waiting to see if they get a Canadian distributor set up. Though at the new price (US$999 vs $699 or $499 for the cancelled pre-orders), it will be hard to justify.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5778 posts
691 upvotes
Grimsby
Mechwarrior 5 was announced a few days ago and it's going to have VR support. Pretty much exactly the kind of cockpit game I wanted to see on a VR platform. They finally listened to reason and it will have a full SP campaign too.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
5904 posts
1656 upvotes
Heh, MW5 .. that's been a long wait. Interesting it's going to be SP, I guess they don't want to compete with themselves.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
4940 posts
1583 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
MW5 would be awesome in VR!!!

I'm so sick of all of these fast battle-mech type of games which have come out over the last few years.
Getting back to a slower/tactical mech game would be more than welcome.

I still have my Steel Battalion controller.

Think I'm gonna hook it up later, as I still have an original Xbox connected in the games room.

Amazon delivered my Titanfall 2 game yesterday as well, hoping that the single-player campaign has a slower pace than the multiplayer.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
5904 posts
1656 upvotes
No Guts No Galaxy .. that's what I always say.

I'm starting to like the mech mode in Titanfall 2. The Titan vs Titan mode is fun ... would be nice if they had bigger maps and company vs company in that mode. It would be great.