• Sep 1st, 2017 6:06 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2006
5124 posts
1803 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
raspeed wrote:
Dec 7th, 2016 1:46 pm
No Guts No Galaxy .. that's what I always say.

I'm starting to like the mech mode in Titanfall 2. The Titan vs Titan mode is fun ... would be nice if they had bigger maps and company vs company in that mode. It would be great.
Good to hear!
I'll probably start it tonight.
I ordered it from Amazon's Warehouse Deals, a used/open-box one for $30.
They shipped it to my door, next day in less than 24hrs from ordering it.
To top it off, it was still new & sealed in the wrapper.
WTF????
Not complaining! Smiling Face With Open Mouth
I was just at Wal-Mart and it's $80 there.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5861 posts
1230 upvotes
I finally got around to playing Carnival Games PS VR. For $10 it is a decent VR Game when it went on sale sometime in the last few weeks.
At regular price it is $27. Most of the theme park areas and games are locked at the start and you unlock more by replaying the standard carnival games.

I was using two PS Move controllers so I could throw with either my right or left hand, or dual wield pistols in the shooting gallery.

Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2008
2363 posts
171 upvotes
Forgot to mention that my Touch controllers arrived. They're more intuitive in some games than the Vive controllers (e.g. in H3VR you can use the grip button to pick up guns, rather than the trigger), but the Vive clickpad works better for ported Vive games than the Touch joysticks do (e.g. H3VR requires moving the joystick in one direction and holding it to do the equivalent of the Vive clicks).

The big thing I've noticed is that Vive games look much clearer when playing them with the Rift. The blurry screen edges that used to annoy me with the Vive seem to be completely gone. That's particularly noticeable in H3VR where gun sights were often just a blob in the Vive.

The only real problem is that I can't use a diagonally-opposed tracking setup in my room, so there's one corner where the tracking gets a bit jittery (I have two cameras on one wall, and the third on my computer desk, where it can barely see that corner).
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2003
3431 posts
1024 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
I finally received my Touch controllers last night and setup was a breeze. I need to make more space in my basement for a larger play space however. I found myself hitting my walls and, since my current setup is on the small side, the guardian grid was pretty much constantly on the screen.

I only had a little over an hour to play around, but it feels great. Now I need to pick up some good experiences. All I really have so far is the handful of free games from Oculus (haven't had a chance to try all of them), The Climb (also haven't played much with Touch yet), and Table tennis on Steam.

They feel great in the hands and most movement feels pretty natural. Once I have my room setup properly I think I'll be spending a lot of time with touch.

I didn't get my pre order bonus games from Best Buy and when I called Customer service to check up on it, they had no idea what I was talking about. I'm going to email Oculus and see if they can help me out, because I recall a post on twitter from them confirming the bonus titles.

I think that in the future, when I order any oculus products, I'm going to be going straight through Oculus.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2006
5124 posts
1803 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
Melkor wrote:
Dec 30th, 2016 10:42 am
I finally received my Touch controllers last night and setup was a breeze. I need to make more space in my basement for a larger play space however. I found myself hitting my walls and, since my current setup is on the small side, the guardian grid was pretty much constantly on the screen.

I only had a little over an hour to play around, but it feels great. Now I need to pick up some good experiences. All I really have so far is the handful of free games from Oculus (haven't had a chance to try all of them), The Climb (also haven't played much with Touch yet), and Table tennis on Steam.

They feel great in the hands and most movement feels pretty natural. Once I have my room setup properly I think I'll be spending a lot of time with touch.

I didn't get my pre order bonus games from Best Buy and when I called Customer service to check up on it, they had no idea what I was talking about. I'm going to email Oculus and see if they can help me out, because I recall a post on twitter from them confirming the bonus titles.

I think that in the future, when I order any oculus products, I'm going to be going straight through Oculus.
Congrats!
I'm still using a DK2, I picked it up last month second hand for $240, so it's still "new" to me, LOL!!!!
In my case, it's mostly used for racing sims, and aside from the SDE, it's actually very impressive and is performing far better than expected.

RIGHT NOW is about the best time that you'll be able to pick up A LOT of Oculus & Steam VR games during the Steam Winter Sale for fairly large discounts.
Project CARS, Assetto Corsa, Dirt Rally are all VR capable, and rFactor 2 has VR coming.....those are all on for 50% off.
There are also a lot of Oculus Touch & room scale games on sale as well.
I thinks you'd be surprised at what you'll find for pocket change.

So far I've spent around $70 for roughly $200+ worth of games, and am planning to grab around another $50 worth before the sale ends (10am PST Jan 2nd 2017).
Even with the older DK2, I've been able to grab a lot of non-Touch games which use either my steering wheel setup or a gamepad.

This is a great time for VR, there's so much content for tech which is just now becoming mainstream.
Far more than when 4K TV's first hit the market (and even currently).
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2003
3431 posts
1024 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
Woah! wrote:
Dec 30th, 2016 2:03 pm
Congrats!
I'm still using a DK2, I picked it up last month second hand for $240, so it's still "new" to me, LOL!!!!
In my case, it's mostly used for racing sims, and aside from the SDE, it's actually very impressive and is performing far better than expected.

RIGHT NOW is about the best time that you'll be able to pick up A LOT of Oculus & Steam VR games during the Steam Winter Sale for fairly large discounts.
Project CARS, Assetto Corsa, Dirt Rally are all VR capable, and rFactor 2 has VR coming.....those are all on for 50% off.
There are also a lot of Oculus Touch & room scale games on sale as well.
I thinks you'd be surprised at what you'll find for pocket change.

So far I've spent around $70 for roughly $200+ worth of games, and am planning to grab around another $50 worth before the sale ends (10am PST Jan 2nd 2017).
Even with the older DK2, I've been able to grab a lot of non-Touch games which use either my steering wheel setup or a gamepad.

This is a great time for VR, there's so much content for tech which is just now becoming mainstream.
Far more than when 4K TV's first hit the market (and even currently).
Awesome deal on the DK2. Can you recommend the cheapest/effective racing wheel and pedals? I'm not that into racing and driving Sims, but I would love to give it a shot. I just don't want to spend a load of cash on a wheel and not enjoy it.

As for the sale, I've spent about $50 on Oculus home and picked up a couple of cheaper titles on steam. This sale has definitely hurt my wallet.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2006
5124 posts
1803 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
Melkor wrote:
Dec 30th, 2016 5:03 pm
Awesome deal on the DK2. Can you recommend the cheapest/effective racing wheel and pedals? I'm not that into racing and driving Sims, but I would love to give it a shot. I just don't want to spend a load of cash on a wheel and not enjoy it.

As for the sale, I've spent about $50 on Oculus home and picked up a couple of cheaper titles on steam. This sale has definitely hurt my wallet.
Thanks.
Considering the price I'm pretty happy with the DK2, and it's still relevant and works with any non-Touch Oculus CV-1 titles, plus the side bonus of being able to use the older runtimes (Alien Isolation, GRID, Doom III BFG, etc.)
I wanted to try one out after picking up a PSVR, which is great but so far only has one racing game (DriveClub VR).
Didn't wanna spend a lot (I'll probably wait for v2 or v3 on the Rift, Vive, or something else), and knowing that there are a lot more PC titles for racing in VR, figured it'd be a great introduction.

There is more of a SDE with the DK2 in comparison to the PSVR, but once I'm using it the immersion factor takes over.
I can't believe how much content is currently available for the Oculus, Steam VR and compatible OSVR.
Even some of my older PC games work (Alien Isolation, GRID Autosport, Half-Life series, etc.).
I've just returned from grabbing another $60 in Steam cards to use before the sale ends.....shopping wave #2 begins, LOL!!!!

As far as a wheel, I'm not sure if you are PC only or use a console as well.
I'd easily recommend any of the current Thrustmaster wheel/pedal line-ups.
If buying used, you can get entry level for as low as $50 (bungee system), or their higher end stuff for $200-$300 (belt drive/FFB & rumble).
There was an open-box T300RS on Amazon for $240 earlier, but it's gone now.

The great thing about racing games is that when you use the interior cockpit view your hands are line up with the drivers arms & wheel as well........you are THERE!!!!!

Project CARS is around $11 on Steam ($25 for the GOTY edition with a ton of content), Assetto Corsa is around $20 (fiddly non-VR menus, but the gameplay works well), and rFactor 2 is around $20 as well but not VR ready at the moment.
I find that Project CARS is currently the most user friendly VR title, even the game menus can be activated just by hovering your view on items for a couple of seconds.
Very slick.
There's even a free version called the Pagani Edition if you wanna try it out in VR before buying.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/429180/

If you'd prefer something non-racing, Euro Truck Simulator is also VR ready.

Good luck!
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2003
3431 posts
1024 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
Woah! wrote:
Dec 30th, 2016 7:01 pm
Thanks.
Considering the price I'm pretty happy with the DK2, and it's still relevant and works with any non-Touch Oculus CV-1 titles, plus the side bonus of being able to use the older runtimes (Alien Isolation, GRID, Doom III BFG, etc.)
I wanted to try one out after picking up a PSVR, which is great but so far only has one racing game (DriveClub VR).
Didn't wanna spend a lot (I'll probably wait for v2 or v3 on the Rift, Vive, or something else), and knowing that there are a lot more PC titles for racing in VR, figured it'd be a great introduction.

There is more of a SDE with the DK2 in comparison to the PSVR, but once I'm using it the immersion factor takes over.
I can't believe how much content is currently available for the Oculus, Steam VR and compatible OSVR.
Even some of my older PC games work (Alien Isolation, GRID Autosport, Half-Life series, etc.).
I've just returned from grabbing another $60 in Steam cards to use before the sale ends.....shopping wave #2 begins, LOL!!!!

As far as a wheel, I'm not sure if you are PC only or use a console as well.
I'd easily recommend any of the current Thrustmaster wheel/pedal line-ups.
If buying used, you can get entry level for as low as $50 (bungee system), or their higher end stuff for $200-$300 (belt drive/FFB & rumble).
There was an open-box T300RS on Amazon for $240 earlier, but it's gone now.

The great thing about racing games is that when you use the interior cockpit view your hands are line up with the drivers arms & wheel as well........you are THERE!!!!!

Project CARS is around $11 on Steam ($25 for the GOTY edition with a ton of content), Assetto Corsa is around $20 (fiddly non-VR menus, but the gameplay works well), and rFactor 2 is around $20 as well but not VR ready at the moment.
I find that Project CARS is currently the most user friendly VR title, even the game menus can be activated just by hovering your view on items for a couple of seconds.
Very slick.
There's even a free version called the Pagani Edition if you wanna try it out in VR before buying.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/429180/

If you'd prefer something non-racing, Euro Truck Simulator is also VR ready.

Good luck!
I looked into the Thrustmaster T80 and the 458 Ferrari spider edition for Xbox One. From what I've read it seems that there's compatibility issues with them on PC. I'm an Xbox One gamer, but I'm on interested in a wheel for VR. So it doesn't matter what I get. I saw one on Microsoft store for $199 (forget model name) but it's out of stock. I would have grabbed that one for sure. I think $199 would be the highest I'd be willing to pay for a wheel.

Man, I wish I could get Alien running in my CV1. I haven't had the shit stared out of me in a while.

Thanks for the feedback. Enjoy your steam shopping!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2006
5124 posts
1803 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
Melkor wrote:
Dec 30th, 2016 9:00 pm
I looked into the Thrustmaster T80 and the 458 Ferrari spider edition for Xbox One. From what I've read it seems that there's compatibility issues with them on PC. I'm an Xbox One gamer, but I'm on interested in a wheel for VR. So it doesn't matter what I get. I saw one on Microsoft store for $199 (forget model name) but it's out of stock. I would have grabbed that one for sure. I think $199 would be the highest I'd be willing to pay for a wheel.

Man, I wish I could get Alien running in my CV1. I haven't had the shit stared out of me in a while.

Ah yes, that's the TMX wheel.
It's a decent choice, and don't worry, it'll show up again at that price or even less.

What about this place @ $218?
https://www.dwstore.ca/home/product.php?productid=2543

That's the nice side benefit of the DK2 over the CV-1.
I have my PC set as a dual-boot system, one drive running Win 10 for Oculus Home, and another drive other running Win 8.1 for older Runtimes which support the earlier games like Alien Isolation, GRID, Doom III, etc.
Aside from that and the lesser God-rays effect, I'll bet anything that the CV-1 blows the DK2 away in every other category (resolution, SDE, comfort, IPD adjustment, etc.).

There are a few VR horror cheapies on Steam which might be worth looking into.
Emily wants to play is under $3, and Monstrum looks interesting too (aside from the perma-death thing).
The Vanishing Of Ethan Carter VR bundle is also less than $5...that's down from $33!
http://store.steampowered.com/bundle/284/

Here's 22 pages of Oculus Rift only titles on Steam, starting at the low price of free and working upwards.....go nuts!!!!
http://store.steampowered.com/search/?vrsupport=102

I'm just about to start eating away at my $60 worth of Steam cards now.
Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2004
7067 posts
390 upvotes
Finally got around trying out VR in the comfort of my own home, mind you it's only the entry level Samsung Gear VR for $50, but I must say I was pretty impressed.........at first.
I'm not sure what the lasting appeal will be, for me at least. I'm glad I didn't invest on more high end ones for the time being, as I find the experience a little gimmicky. However, considering this is pretty much first generation, I can see this really advance and take off with the right development down the road. It sure has the WOW factor, from young to old, just need the WOW content. And before anyone says it's a crap VR system, was only $50 since I already had the appropriate phone and Xbone controller to begin with, but I'm sure the >$500 would not offer me x10 the experience. At $50 it's fun, anything above $200-$300 not so sure.
STEAM-XBL-PSN: CFRTim
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
6503 posts
701 upvotes
CFRTim wrote:
Dec 30th, 2016 10:54 pm
Finally got around trying out VR in the comfort of my own home, mind you it's only the entry level Samsung Gear VR for $50, but I must say I was pretty impressed.........at first.
I'm not sure what the lasting appeal will be, for me at least. I'm glad I didn't invest on more high end ones for the time being, as I find the experience a little gimmicky. However, considering this is pretty much first generation, I can see this really advance and take off with the right development down the road. It sure has the WOW factor, from young to old, just need the WOW content. And before anyone says it's a crap VR system, was only $50 since I already had the appropriate phone and Xbone controller to begin with, but I'm sure the >$500 would not offer me x10 the experience. At $50 it's fun, anything above $200-$300 not so sure.
Think the only game that can offer "wow" content is Valkyrie, and maybe the odd driving simulator, both basically being "inside the cockpit" type games. Also, add Star Wars Battlefront to that list.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2004
7067 posts
390 upvotes
Buggy166 wrote:
Dec 31st, 2016 9:38 am
Think the only game that can offer "wow" content is Valkyrie, and maybe the odd driving simulator, both basically being "inside the cockpit" type games. Also, add Star Wars Battlefront to that list.
And definitely pr0n Winking Face
STEAM-XBL-PSN: CFRTim
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2006
5124 posts
1803 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
Melkor wrote:
Dec 30th, 2016 9:00 pm

FYI
There's an open-box TMX wheel on Amazon.ca right now for $193.
States that it's still factory sealed.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/offer-listing/ ... BRIGYRJ3Q8
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2003
3431 posts
1024 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
So I spent some time this past weekend playing Oculus Touch titles. wow am I impressed. I haven't tried the Vive so I can't comment on which one I like better, but I'm absolutely loving touch.

Playing goalie and fighting in VR sports challenge is shallow, but a ton of fun.

The Climb stands out. I think I've spent more time with this game than anything else. The hand controls in it are awesome. I'm glad I waited until I purchased touch to play it.

Toy box was a bit of a letdown.

My 7 year old got a kick out of Nvidia VR Funhouse. (so did I for that matter.)

Dead and Buried is incredibly fun. 2 on 2 multi-player is awesome. The gunplay mechanics feel very natural.

I haven't gotten around to playing The Unspoken, but hopefully I can get into it this week.

Overall I'm very satisfied with this purchase.

I had to order another sensor for Room scale though, not too happy about shelling out another $100