VR & AR Discussion Thread [PSVR/Rift/GearVR/Vive/HoloLens/SulonQ]

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 1st, 2017 6:06 pm
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5861 posts
1230 upvotes
Digital Foundry plays Tekken 7's PS VR mode:

Running on a Regular PS4 Tekken 7 is 900p native resolution.
They were not able to play it on a PS4 Pro at the preview event they went to.

Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2006
5125 posts
1803 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
XFactor11 wrote:
May 5th, 2017 4:00 pm
Digital Foundry plays Tekken 7's PS VR mode:

Running on a Regular PS4 Tekken 7 is 900p native resolution.
They were not able to play it on a PS4 Pro at the preview event they went to.

Pretty cool that they're trying different genres such as this.
Seems like a missed opportunity by them not having a first person mode though, or at least as a secondary mode.
The more VR / PSVR content the better.....keep it comin'!!!!!!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2006
5125 posts
1803 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
I wonder if the MS offerings will be compatible with OSVR/Rift/Vive software, or if it's going to be something completely different and run strictly on Windows 10?

On another note, my 2nd Touch bundle is scheduled to arrive tomorrow, which will give me a third Rift sensor.

Robo Recall is already amazing with just two (using a diagonal setup in two opposing corners of the room), but I'm looking forward to see the benefits of completing the setup.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5085 posts
1560 upvotes
Toronto
What happened to all the PSVR buyers in this thread? Was hot for a minute and haven't heard anything for months now
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
6505 posts
701 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
May 11th, 2017 5:20 pm
What happened to all the PSVR buyers in this thread? Was hot for a minute and haven't heard anything for months now
We're too busy using it lol

joke aside, mine's collecting dust until some more games come into town. Not a fan of B titles and horror games, so there's only 1 or 2 tech demos to play right now.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5861 posts
1230 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
May 11th, 2017 5:20 pm
Only about a dozen RFD users write on these boards regularly.

I still use VR occasionally.
There aren't any must have game applications on PS VR.

The biggest one is Resident Evil 7 but you can also play it with better controls in regular console mode.

VR is a different way to play games but it does not rival the best games out there, sort of like how the Wii was, but the Wii at
least had some must play exclusives games that are among the best games ever made (Super Mario Galaxy).

If you are a video game enthusiast and want a supplementary gaming device to complement the PS4,
I would recommend a Nintendo Switch over PSVR because the Switch has higher quality game experiences and exclusives (especially local multiplayer games).

For 360 degree or 180 degree VR Movie viewing, download the free LittlStar App from the TV and Music apps on the PS4 store to view 360 or 180 VR movies on PS4.
http://tinyurl.com/k7z4q4x

The LittlStar app plays all video files, whereas the one in the PS4's menu has compatibility issues viewing some movies.
While 360 or 180 degree VR movies are neat to watch, I'd say 3D movies on 3D Monitors or 3DTVs are just as good or better since PSVR lenses are not full 1080p resolution.

The biggest PS VR exclusive game out soon is Farpoint which releases in about 1 week:
Last edited by XFactor11 on May 11th, 2017 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2006
5125 posts
1803 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
XFactor11 wrote:
May 11th, 2017 6:54 pm
If you are a video game enthusiast and want a supplementary gaming device to complement the PS4,
I would recommend a Nintendo Switch over PSVR because the Switch has higher quality game experiences and exclusives (especially local multiplayer games).
I LOVE the Nintendo Switch.
Only because I managed to buy two off of Amazon's Warehouse Deals section for $251 all-in each, then sold them for $500 apiece.
Then used that money in turn to pick-up a BNIB Oculus Rift off of Craigslist for $450....pocketing $48.
Yup........I LOOOOOOOVE the Nintendo Switch!!!!! Winking Face

Tonight is DriveClub VR night, not sick of my PSVR yet!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5861 posts
1230 upvotes
DriveClub is a below mediocre racing game in VR or otherwise.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is the most fun racing game ever made IMO.
It is especially good for local or online multiplayer play anytime.

Woah! wrote:
May 11th, 2017 8:35 pm
I LOVE the Nintendo Switch.
Only because I managed to buy two off of Amazon's Warehouse Deals section for $251 all-in each, then sold them for $500 apiece.
Then used that money in turn to pick-up a BNIB Oculus Rift off of Craigslist for $450....pocketing $48.
Yup........I LOOOOOOOVE the Nintendo Switch!!!!! Winking Face

Tonight is DriveClub VR night, not sick of my PSVR yet!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2006
5125 posts
1803 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
XFactor11 wrote:
May 11th, 2017 8:50 pm
DriveClub is a below mediocre racing game in VR or otherwise.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is the most run racing game ever made IMO.
It is especially good for local or online multiplayer fun.
To each their own, but we obviously have polar-opposite interests in what we deem to be fun racing....cartoon arcade vs sim-style.
And no, DriveClub is NOT a sim, yet somewhere in between the two, kind of a SimCade.

I can see Mario Kart being a lot of fun sitting on the couch with friends and making a party out of it.

I just prefer sitting in a cockpit with a racing seat, wheel, pedals, H-shifter, handbrake, button boxes, etc....and VR has taken it to the next level of actually being IN the car!

There are a few good arcade racers like Need For Speed, yet lazy developers like EA have eliminated wheel support with their last two offerings.....a very poor decision on their part which may have cost them a few sales.

Late night DriveClub VR is awesome online as the rooms tend to fill up with a lot of Europeans, who tend to enjoy Motorsports a lot more than North Americans, who are obsessed with football, baseball & hockey.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5085 posts
1560 upvotes
Toronto
Buggy166 wrote:
May 11th, 2017 6:51 pm
We're too busy using it lol

joke aside, mine's collecting dust until some more games come into town. Not a fan of B titles and horror games, so there's only 1 or 2 tech demos to play right now.
Lol word I'm just thinking it's been like what, 6-8 months and there hasn't been any news or hype about any must have games? I guess E3 is around the corner so maybe they have something big they're keeping secret until then but otherwise this seems like it's predictably fizzling out with no must have content just like every other Sony console peripheral released in the past 5-10 years.
Woah! wrote:
May 11th, 2017 9:13 pm
To each their own, but we obviously have polar-opposite interests in what we deem to be fun racing....cartoon arcade vs sim-style.
And no, DriveClub is NOT a sim, yet somewhere in between the two, kind of a SimCade.

I can see Mario Kart being a lot of fun sitting on the couch with friends and making a party out of it.

I just prefer sitting in a cockpit with a racing seat, wheel, pedals, H-shifter, handbrake, button boxes, etc....and VR has taken it to the next level of actually being IN the car!
Same I enjoy Mario Kart but it's in no way comparable or a viable choice for people who are actually interested in motorsports and sim racing. It's barely the same category of game. When/If I do buy into VR I'm going to be picking up a Vive or Oculus to play actual sim racing games like Assetto Corsa and DIRT Rally. The price is just still a bit to steep for something that's currently only good for a few games in 1 genre, especially when it's likely that far better hardware revisions are on the way.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2006
5125 posts
1803 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
ReeGee wrote:
May 12th, 2017 10:36 am
Lol word I'm just thinking it's been like what, 6-8 months and there hasn't been any news or hype about any must have games? I guess E3 is around the corner so maybe they have something big they're keeping secret until then but otherwise this seems like it's predictably fizzling out with no must have content just like every other Sony console peripheral released in the past 5-10 years.

Same I enjoy Mario Kart but it's in no way comparable or a viable choice for people who are actually interested in motorsports and sim racing. It's barely the same category of game. When/If I do buy into VR I'm going to be picking up a Vive or Oculus to play actual sim racing games like Assetto Corsa and DIRT Rally. The price is just still a bit to steep for something that's currently only good for a few games in 1 genre, especially when it's likely that far better hardware revisions are on the way.
I'm not sure if you own DiRT Rally yet, but it's currently on sale for the weekend on Steam, $19.95.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/310560/DiRT_Rally/

That's historically the lowest price ever for this VR capable (Oculus native or Vive using ReVive) title.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5085 posts
1560 upvotes
Toronto
Woah! wrote:
May 12th, 2017 11:54 am
I'm not sure if you own DiRT Rally yet, but it's currently on sale for the weekend on Steam, $19.95.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/310560/DiRT_Rally/

That's historically the lowest price ever for this VR capable (Oculus native or Vive using ReVive) title.
Oh I've owned and been playing it since early access. I play it with a G27 on a regular monitor and hoping to get a VR set for it eventually. Amazing game. Can't imagine how intense it is in VR but I've heard good things
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2002
1733 posts
180 upvotes
Toronto
Seems I lucked out and got my copy of Farpoint /w aim controller a few days early. If you like light gun games, you will enjoy this. Instead of the frantic dual wielding shooters out right now, this is a bit slower paced but favours accuracy and longer range shots. Being able to use the holographic sight to aim is fantastic. Movement is slower compared to a regular FPS like COD but generally works ok.

I'm very interested to see if Battlefront 2 will use this controller in it's VR mode. I think Arizona Sunshine coming out next month will add support.

Anyone else get theirs yet?
15+ Years of 100% Positive Feedback

EBAY / HEATWARE / RFD
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5861 posts
1230 upvotes
Driftwood wrote:
May 13th, 2017 10:36 am
Seems I lucked out and got my copy of Farpoint /w aim controller a few days early. If you like light gun games, you will enjoy this. Instead of the frantic dual wielding shooters out right now, this is a bit slower paced but favours accuracy and longer range shots. Being able to use the holographic sight to aim is fantastic. Movement is slower compared to a regular FPS like COD but generally works ok.

I'm very interested to see if Battlefront 2 will use this controller in it's VR mode. I think Arizona Sunshine coming out next month will add support.

Anyone else get theirs yet?
Did you order from Amazon.ca?

I ordered Farpoint with the aim controller with Amazon Prime for the 20% discount but the delivery estimate is after May 24th.