Automotive

VW e-Golf starting at 36K

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 16th, 2018 11:22 am
Aug 21, 2017
29 posts
4 upvotes
Managed to snag a test drive at Clarkdale VW in Vancouver. Great car. I'm less than impressed with the knowledge of the sales staff however. Nice guy, but assured me I was testing the base model...I wasn't...it had the tech package and leatherette. He apologized for his mistake. He now tells me NAV is standard on the base model but I'm not sure about that. I guess VW needs to school their salespeople a little more on this product. I shouldn't walk in there knowing more...

Tried to get him to sell me the demo model, but they won't budge. It's apparently the last one in Western Canada. My sense is no one can answer any questions as to when we might get cars. I just put a deposit down and was told maybe Oct. Nov. this year. Not gonna hold my breath. Irritating, but at the same time VW can't just mass produce these things and have them sit there. Bottom line tho, after all the reading and reviews, this is the car to beat for the price. Will more than suit my needs....apart from taking my kids camping. Will rent a van then.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2012
1229 posts
270 upvotes
Woodbridge
Got quoted 44k for egolf base with leatherette... 30k after rebate, madness FFE was 19k otr.
May 25, 2005
555 posts
106 upvotes
Doesn't make sense unless that is an all in price (Tax, freight, etc) since the eGolf is $36k for the base plus $500 for leatherette.

I am hoping to put in an order in the next month or two. I don't need it till early 2018 so hopefully that timeline matches with what VW is delivering on.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2012
1229 posts
270 upvotes
Woodbridge
Azer wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2017 9:40 am
Doesn't make sense unless that is an all in price (Tax, freight, etc) since the eGolf is $36k for the base plus $500 for leatherette.

I am hoping to put in an order in the next month or two. I don't need it till early 2018 so hopefully that timeline matches with what VW is delivering on.
People are paying it none the less, demand is crazy for the car it seems, 2 other people buying when I was sitting down.

Was told to expect Mar/April delivery for 2018 by sales rep.
Aug 21, 2017
29 posts
4 upvotes
Johnny0c wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2017 9:49 am
People are paying it none the less, demand is crazy for the car it seems, 2 other people buying when I was sitting down.

Was told to expect Mar/April delivery for 2018 by sales rep.
People are paying it? I find that suspect. Dealers don't increase prices like that when the builder has an MSRP (at least I've never heard of them doing that). I certainly wouldn't pay 44 when the price is 36.
May 20, 2017
48 posts
6 upvotes
ON
kellyevan535972 wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2017 10:02 am
People are paying it? I find that suspect. Dealers don't increase prices like that when the builder has an MSRP (at least I've never heard of them doing that). I certainly wouldn't pay 44 when the price is 36.
If you add PDI and tax it will be close to 44k
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2012
1229 posts
270 upvotes
Woodbridge
kellyevan535972 wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2017 10:02 am
VW is misleading as they state 36k but don't include the 1.6k freight in price, after tax you're already at 43k-ish without even adding any dealer admin fee's etc.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1041 posts
296 upvotes
Vancouver
kellyevan535972 wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2017 5:12 pm
Managed to snag a test drive at Clarkdale VW in Vancouver. Great car. I'm less than impressed with the knowledge of the sales staff however. Nice guy, but assured me I was testing the base model...I wasn't...it had the tech package and leatherette. He apologized for his mistake. He now tells me NAV is standard on the base model but I'm not sure about that. I guess VW needs to school their salespeople a little more on this product. I shouldn't walk in there knowing more...

Tried to get him to sell me the demo model, but they won't budge. It's apparently the last one in Western Canada. My sense is no one can answer any questions as to when we might get cars. I just put a deposit down and was told maybe Oct. Nov. this year. Not gonna hold my breath. Irritating, but at the same time VW can't just mass produce these things and have them sit there. Bottom line tho, after all the reading and reviews, this is the car to beat for the price. Will more than suit my needs....apart from taking my kids camping. Will rent a van then.
I'm in vancouver. What trim you aiming for? Price? You think the trunk is big enough for a normal stroller with room to spare?
Aug 21, 2017
29 posts
4 upvotes
I am aiming for base trim. 35,995. It's a regular hatchback. Back seats fold down nicely and would accommodate a stroller and more. I need space for a drum kit and the odd bike and the golf will do!
Aug 21, 2017
29 posts
4 upvotes
Johnny0c wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2017 10:19 am
VW is misleading as they state 36k but don't include the 1.6k freight in price, after tax you're already at 43k-ish without even adding any dealer admin fee's etc.
Wouldn't call them misleading. All dealers advertise base price without freight and PDI. Usually, an asterisk indicates additional charges.
Feb 19, 2017
176 posts
68 upvotes
Anyone have insight into what the maintenance costs will be on these vehicles? Being an EV it should be much reduced from the regular Golf, but VW is pretty notorious for high maintenance costs.
Aug 21, 2017
29 posts
4 upvotes
Way less than conventional ICE. No moving parts, pistons, spark plugs or mufflers to wear down! No oil to replace! No filters!...ok maybe a cabin filter? Can't really speak to the cost of owning a VW, never had one before.

http://knowhow.napaonline.com/electric- ... need-know/

The big cost will be battery replacement. I'm hoping that 10 years from now they will be a lot less. A VW Golf battery ain't cheap at the moment. $10-$15 grand I've heard.
Jan 8, 2009
687 posts
122 upvotes
Ontario
kellyevan535972 wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2017 2:27 pm
Wouldn't call them misleading. All dealers advertise base price without freight and PDI. Usually, an asterisk indicates additional charges.
Dealers must advertise all-in prices, manufacturers can omit freight and PDI for some reason. All the e-golfs to date have the nav/swipe screen package and leatherette pushing the price to around $41k plus tax and before rebates (plus whatever fees the dealership may try to add on). Its unusual the way that VW has been publicising the $36k figure online as its usually the dealership that advertises cars for sale. Together with taking an online deposit this has blurred the lines between the role of a dealer and the manufacturer. It was certainly never possible to buy an e-golf for 36k.
Jan 8, 2009
687 posts
122 upvotes
Ontario
kellyevan535972 wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2017 6:07 pm
Way less than conventional ICE. No moving parts, pistons, spark plugs or mufflers to wear down! No oil to replace! No filters!...ok maybe a cabin filter? Can't really speak to the cost of owning a VW, never had one before.

http://knowhow.napaonline.com/electric- ... need-know/

The big cost will be battery replacement. I'm hoping that 10 years from now they will be a lot less. A VW Golf battery ain't cheap at the moment. $10-$15 grand I've heard.
Our Camry Hybrid (and its battery) were 11 years old last month and the battery still seems to work as well as new. Same 12V battery as well. Car has over 250k km. When the car is finally scrapped the battery will be the most valuable recycling component (1350 USD core credit) followed by the rare earth magnets in the electric motor. All Toyota hybrid batteries are recycled and to make sure this happens when a rare failure occurs Toyota pays for them. Currently trying to find interior trim parts at breakers but not many cars being scrapped.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

User729596