• Jun 22nd, 2018 10:09 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
8925 posts
2271 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
craftsman wrote:
Apr 15th, 2017 8:08 pm
One of the big complaints about VWs in general is their dealer service and their general overall knowledge of how to fix things... I can't imagine what it would be like with a completely different product - ie no internal combustion engine and pure electric.
Some dealers are not that great, but I had good experience lately with my dealer. I can also see them working on my cars through glass. If anything Nissan/Infiniti/Honda dealers were horrible in my past. So YMMV as usual. I may be a minority on here, but all 3 of my VWs have been pretty much bulletproof. All turbos, lots of electronics too due to them being fully loaded. VWs have been most reliable cars I owned. Looking to add egolf to the lineup in the future.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
5047 posts
1786 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
Andro wrote:
Apr 15th, 2017 9:29 pm
I may be a minority on here, but all 3 of my VWs have been pretty much bulletproof. All turbos, lots of electronics too due to them being fully loaded. VWs have been most reliable cars I owned. Looking to add egolf to the lineup in the future.
That's great to hear. I'm considering getting a VW SportWagen or VW T-Roc (compact SUV under development) in the future.
A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."
I like wearing tinfoil hats.

¯\_(-.-)_/¯

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ "Behold!"
Jul 4, 2006
780 posts
174 upvotes
Oakville
Had 3 VWs, minor issues that were remedied under warranty.

Just do your regular service and you will be fine.

All cars have some issues, especially when it has newer technology.

Get a Corolla and you will most likely have less issues as it uses Toyota's technology that has been proven to be reliable over many years. Updates are minimal that's why you tend to have less issues.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2011
1140 posts
234 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
sc888888 wrote:
Apr 15th, 2017 9:11 pm
The base e-Golf is like the Leaf SV. e-Golf have heated windshield but not the Leaf. The 35kW battery and is air cooled is better than the Leaf.

On the other hand there is less dealer incentive with the e-Golf and much more on the Leaf especially later in the year when the Leaf 2.0 is announced. The leaf in US is going to be heavily discounted.
Agree.
Is air cooled actually the worst? means no coolant at all.
<No political content in signatures>
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
30932 posts
7657 upvotes
GTHA
napoleonbot wrote:
Apr 17th, 2017 11:32 am
Is air cooled actually the worst? means no coolant at all.
Press release on why active-cooling system is not needed...

VW decides against active-cooling system for e-Golf lithium battery
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/03/31/vw-e ... m-battery/

Generally speaking, regarding the system, it's important to note that the e-Golf was designed with efficiency in mind. The battery pack utilizes ultra-efficient lithium-ion cells that deliver 25Ah per cell with an energy density of 59Wh per lb. The pack is comprised of 264 cells, packaged into 27 modules (of either 6 or 12 cells) delivering 323 volts and weighing in at 700 lbs. As it relates to battery temperature, VW has developed a Battery Management Unit with an intelligent thermal control that allows the pack to remain within an optimal temperature window, helping to maintain performance and range in a variety of temperatures. This system allows the e-Golf to operate, even in more extreme temperatures, without the need of a cooling system and without dramatic impacts in performance based on testing.

In terms of the battery pack, the engineering goal was to develop a highly efficient system as opposed to one that focused on charge-time or capacity (like some of our competitors). In partnership with Panasonic, VW utilizes a lithium-ion cells designed for gentle charge and de-charge during use which helps to reduce heat and energy consumption often associated with cells designed for rapid charging and de-charging. Our engineers refer to them as "marathon cells." Additionally, without a cooling system weight savings are achieved which aides in overall efficiency of the vehicle. Due to the efficiencies achieved, minimal waste heat is created during operation (i.e. during fast charging) and is quickly directed by the battery metal structure into the chassis, away from the battery, helping to prevent extreme temperature conditions inside the pack.

Our engineers tell us that the e-Golf has passed various long-term engineering evaluation milestones in desert temperatures and cold weather climates, without the necessity of a cooling system.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
2461 posts
1392 upvotes
Oakville, ON
tk1000 wrote:
Apr 17th, 2017 11:44 am
Press release on why NOX Reduction system is not needed...

VW decides against NOX Reduction System for TDI engines

Generally speaking, regarding the system, it's important to note that the Golf TDI was designed with efficiency in mind. The TDI utilizes ultra-efficient engine control systems that deliver outstanding emissions compliance when tested or outstanding vehicle performance when on the road in the real world. As it relates to emissions, VW has developed an Emissions Compliance Management Unit with an intelligent thermal control that allows the TDI to remain within an optimal compliance window, helping to maintain performance and range in a variety of temperatures. This system allows the Golf TDI to operate, even in more extreme temperatures, without the need of an advanced catalyst reduction system and without dramatic impacts in performance based on real world use.

In terms of the TDI, the engineering goal was to develop a highly efficient system on the surface for regulators as opposed to one that was actually compliant (like some of our competitors). In partnership with Bosch, VW utilizes a defeat device designed for hiding actual emissions results during testing which helps to reduce costs and consumption often associated with complying with emissions standards. Our engineers refer to them as "defeat devices." Additionally, without an AdBlues system weight savings are achieved which aides in overall efficiency of the vehicle. Due to the efficiencies achieved, minimal performance reduction is created during operation (i.e. during normal use) and is quickly directed by the defeat device to mimic test compliance is a lab helping to prevent extreme performance degradation and cost increases due to compliance.

Our engineers tell us that the Golf TDI has passed various long-term engineering evaluation milestones and emissions compliance in desert temperatures and cold weather climates, without the necessity of a a full catalyst reduction emission system.
See what I did there with the TDI angle in the article?

Sorry, just a little leery of their "truthiness" given their recent track record. I want to believe as I'm interested in the vehicle...
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2004
2858 posts
473 upvotes
CanadianLurker wrote:
Apr 17th, 2017 4:43 pm
See what I did there with the TDI angle in the article?

Sorry, just a little leery of their "truthiness" given their recent track record. I want to believe as I'm interested in the vehicle...
I am thinking of leasing it.
This is not their first year and it is second generation. But yeah, wording is almost identical.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2003
2630 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto
Was thinking about this, but looks like they are all sold out now. According to the website they are not taking anymore reservations.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1520 posts
410 upvotes
Since you get a Green Vehicle plate with this car, I wonder if this would make it a clear winner for someone who has to drive regularly (ie commute) on 400 series highways that have HOV/HOT lanes. If you have a gas model, you have to either have 2 people in the car or be lucky to get a pass for HOT lanes, which you still have to pay for. With the eGolf you can go into HOV/HOT by yourself and it does't cost any extra.

There is the cost of putting in a home charger. There is an incentive of $1000 for that but I don't know how much they typically go for.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
1072 posts
569 upvotes
Have to say I always wanted a VW, they looked good, I like the Americanized German look and style they got going, then they phased out the Diesels and my interest has been zero. I'm still hoping Mazda brings those diesel engines out over here and goodness willing GM's foray into the Diesel Cruze means they extend more diesels to their other cars. The day I can have a midsize or full-size sedan with a diesel engine and not have to buy German Luxury is the day I'm a super happy man.
RFD is love. RFD is life. I wish I had an RFDer for a wife.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
7317 posts
3750 upvotes
Markham
LoANeal wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 12:09 pm
Have to say I always wanted a VW, they looked good, I like the Americanized German look and style they got going, then they phased out the Diesels and my interest has been zero. I'm still hoping Mazda brings those diesel engines out over here and goodness willing GM's foray into the Diesel Cruze means they extend more diesels to their other cars. The day I can have a midsize or full-size sedan with a diesel engine and not have to buy German Luxury is the day I'm a super happy man.
They selling left over VW 2015 brand new TDIs right now.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
1072 posts
569 upvotes
Anikiri wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 12:15 pm
They selling left over VW 2015 brand new TDIs right now.
Okay that incredibly depresses me as I would have bought that instead of my used V6 Accord...I did not know they still had them or was still selling them. That was depressing news...
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
7317 posts
3750 upvotes
Markham
LoANeal wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 12:40 pm
Okay that incredibly depresses me as I would have bought that instead of my used V6 Accord...I did not know they still had them or was still selling them. That was depressing news...
I don't wanna take this home here but these 2015 TDI new VWs come with the following:
- between 7000 to 9500 discount (depending on car) cash
- between 5000 to 7500 discount (depending on car) for finance 0% for 60 months
- also these will come with a 11 year 260k km warranty for emissions which covers everything that a CEL would pull except the transmission
- VW Canada will also pay for new tires, brakes, flushes, and anything else that requires to be done since they have been sitting for around 2 years new

I bought 5 for myself, my friends, and my immediate family. We had to go get last Wednesday when they were released. There aren't much left, but if you want one you can probably still strike one here or there. All of Canada had only perhaps 1500 of them.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
1072 posts
569 upvotes
You have made me a sad man today good sir. A very sad man.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
7317 posts
3750 upvotes
Markham
LoANeal wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 12:52 pm
You have made me a sad man today good sir. A very sad man.
Have an upvote!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)