Automotive

VW e-Golf starting at 36K

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 15th, 2019 6:57 pm
Deal Addict
May 2, 2017
1918 posts
2941 upvotes
ahammad wrote: Indeed, my order was placed last October. I expected about a year, but beyond that, it's ridiculous.

I'll report back on what the salesman says.
I think VW is probably asking people to confirm because of the number of people who were backing out last minute. People seem to be putting deposits on multiple EV's at multiple dealerships, then just taking the one that comes first and cancelling all the other orders (e.g. Martin above). So it's not really fair to the people that have reserved months (or a year+) ago that those cancellations will then go to some person on a dealer's waiting list (who may have been waiting only a few weeks).

Even if 20-30% do not confirm, that will potentially move your spot in line up quite a few places.

For the record, I waited about 10.5 months for my eGolf, from online reservation to delivery. Given that VW has said the eGolf is essentially sold out worldwide, anyone who hasn't ordered will likely be waiting a long time.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
1510 posts
759 upvotes
Toronto
Spectre26 wrote: If anyone doesn't mind Atlantic Blue, there was a e-Golf in inventory at Downtown VW when I signed for a GTI a few weeks ago. Not sure if it's still around but it's still up in their new inventory page.

https://www.volkswagendowntowntoronto.c ... o/15275140
Called at noon. Was sold first thing in the morning. Back to waiting/searching...
Home automation, NOVO (HiFi) Magazine, Google Trusted Photographer, electric vehicles.
Nov 17, 2017
42 posts
12 upvotes
So after being told back in November that I'd have my e-golf in June, with delivery being then pushed back to "2019 not sure what month", I closed on a Hyundai Ioniq today at $1200 under MSRP.

Same range, some additional features and a bigger hatch space.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2004
16011 posts
7474 upvotes
RFD
User729596 wrote: So after being told back in November that I'd have my e-golf in June, with delivery being then pushed back to "2019 not sure what month", I closed on a Hyundai Ioniq today at $1200 under MSRP.

Same range, some additional features and a bigger hatch space.
But the question is will you get the Ioniq in time? What time frame did the dealer tell you? Because apparently the wait times for the 2018s are just as long as the eGolf...don't think it'll come before the elections...
Nov 17, 2017
42 posts
12 upvotes
radeonboy wrote: But the question is will you get the Ioniq in time? What time frame did the dealer tell you? Because apparently the wait times for the 2018s are just as long as the eGolf...don't think it'll come before the elections...
Yeah, I'm getting the one they have on their lot. Same one I test drove. Picking it up next week.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2016
2209 posts
1814 upvotes
User729596 wrote: Yeah, I'm getting the one they have on their lot. Same one I test drove. Picking it up next week.
Nice, which dealer/city? I am still waiting to hear back about my e-Golf, since the information from the dealer and the information from VW is different right now. But if it has been pushed back, I might consider the ioniq even though I prefer the Golf.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2004
16011 posts
7474 upvotes
RFD
User729596 wrote: Yeah, I'm getting the one they have on their lot. Same one I test drove. Picking it up next week.
Nice, that is the best way to get one now, to get the 2017 model. Congrats
Nov 17, 2017
42 posts
12 upvotes
ahammad wrote: Nice, which dealer/city? I am still waiting to hear back about my e-Golf, since the information from the dealer and the information from VW is different right now. But if it has been pushed back, I might consider the ioniq even though I prefer the Golf.
I'm in Ottawa, getting it at Bank Street Hyundai. It is the only one they had.

That being said, there is a black one at Pathway Hyundai here in Ottawa:

http://www.pathwayhyundai.com/new/Ioniq%20EV.html

They are looking to sell it. I could have got it for MSRP but I was able to get $1200 off at the other dealership.

They are also willing to trade it to another dealer as they were going to do that for as I was actually dealing with Surgenor Hyundai.

Not sure where you are but I would talk to your nearest Hyundai dealers and see if they have any. If not I would get them to try and get the black one from Pathway Hyundai for you.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2016
2209 posts
1814 upvotes
User729596 wrote: I'm in Ottawa, getting it at Bank Street Hyundai. It is the only one they had.

That being said, there is a black one at Pathway Hyundai here in Ottawa:

http://www.pathwayhyundai.com/new/Ioniq%20EV.html

They are looking to sell it. I could have got it for MSRP but I was able to get $1200 off at the other dealership.

They are also willing to trade it to another dealer as they were going to do that for as I was actually dealing with Surgenor Hyundai.

Not sure where you are but I would talk to your nearest Hyundai dealers and see if they have any. If not I would get them to try and get the black one from Pathway Hyundai for you.
Hahaha! I am actually down the street from Bank Street Hyundai. I also purchased another Hyundai from Pathway about 7 months ago.

Are you leasing it?
Nov 17, 2017
42 posts
12 upvotes
ahammad wrote: Hahaha! I am actually down the street from Bank Street Hyundai. I also purchased another Hyundai from Pathway about 7 months ago.

Are you leasing it?
Yes I am leasing it. The dealer is applying the government incentive for me.

I contacted every Hyundai dealer in Ottawa and it appears that black one is the last one in the entire city. The concerns I ended up having with the e-golf were, a-when the hell it would actually come, if at all; and b-what will be the state of the government incentive at that time.

If you are serious I would contact the following guys at Surgenor Hyundai on St. Laurent as they were willing to sell the black ioniq to me at MSRP and apply the government incentive for me:

mike.patterson@surgenor.com

Roman.Sidoli@surgenor.com
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2008
1828 posts
884 upvotes
Up in the air
Could anyone who has an e-golf tell me if their's came with a VW plastic cover under the front hood? Looks like mine is missing, but maybe they don't come with them any more? The image on the left is what mine looks like. I know it's mostly cosmetic, but still...
Images
  • mine.jpg
  • stock.jpg
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2008
1828 posts
884 upvotes
Up in the air
Belzy77 wrote: No cover in Canada.
LOL....OK, thanks, VW cheaping out again.
Feb 24, 2012
25 posts
5 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Given we get the heat pump and DC charging standard. I think a plastic cover is a good trade off. :P
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2008
1828 posts
884 upvotes
Up in the air
Belzy77 wrote: Given we get the heat pump and DC charging standard. I think a plastic cover is a good trade off. :P
Good point...Heavy Exclamation Mark Symbol
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2009
6236 posts
4776 upvotes
Ontario
flyboy320 wrote: Could anyone who has an e-golf tell me if their's came with a VW plastic cover under the front hood? Looks like mine is missing, but maybe they don't come with them any more? The image on the left is what mine looks like. I know it's mostly cosmetic, but still...
Lots of other differences, not just the cover. Looks like a revised design.
Jan 17, 2018
24 posts
7 upvotes
Those of you who have an e-Golf, I have couple of questions,
My car makes a bit of a "growling" kind of noise when i am stationary. Not too loud but loud enough that I can hear it, I took it to the dealer and they said it is normal all egolfs make this noise but I want able to find anyone anywhere talking about this, what is your experience.
Also how is your battery? I got mine about 9 days ago and it showed my 199 sometimes 215 at first but now even on full charge it only shows around 130 mm with everything turned off. Could I have a faulty battery?
Other than that an amazing car.
Thanks in advance.
Feb 24, 2012
25 posts
5 upvotes
NORTH YORK
The noise you are hearing is the heat pump. Normal based on the weather.

I've had mine for a little while and the guage is pretty all over the place and adjusts based on the termperature outside. Until the temp is back to 10-15 degrees you won't see 200km.

How do you find the steering? Mine is so light at low speed that I find it oversteers a ton.
Jan 17, 2018
24 posts
7 upvotes
thanks so much that is great to hear. I wasn't sure if it is supposed to be making that noise :) I was worried after almost a year of wait I may have a lemon on my hand.
thanks again.
I couldn't agree more, the steering in mine is very light at low speeds and yes oversteers for me as well!! overall its probably the best ecar money can buy now and I'm super happy I waited. I didn't find its peppiness and build quality in the alternatives (Ioiniq, Bolt, or leaf), so I decided to wait but was a great wait :)!!!
Dec 7, 2004
302 posts
60 upvotes
Has anyone recently placed an order for a MY2019? Have they provided an estimated delivery or time when they can put in an order?