• Mar 15th, 2019 9:33 pm
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
georgecantstandya wrote: Lush:
- providing great sensory pleasure.

synonyms: luxurious, luxury, deluxe, sumptuous, grand, palatial, opulent, lavish, elaborate, extravagant, fancy;
informalplush, ritzy, classy, posh, swanky;
Which is subjective!
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4695 posts
4968 upvotes
GTA
georgecantstandya wrote: A lot of people hating on MB in this thread calling it a poseur car as if that's not a big reason for why people buy cars. *cough* Bentley *cough*
What are you talking about? Bentley has been making luxury cars for 100 years.
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2018
10135 posts
10247 upvotes
Unless you want absolute performance (which the R isn't anywhere near top of class of anyways), the A is much better for interior, design, comfort and technology

The R is so dated and that interior looks several gens behind the A class

The people who say the A class is badge and poser are a bit hypocritical as they're the only ones who care about perception of the model/badge instead of the vehicle. Why does it matter A class is the cheapest MB if it's got the mix of design/features and pricepoint of what someone wants.

Caring that it's the cheapest Mb model is no different than buying a BMW 320i or whatever only for the badge
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2018
10135 posts
10247 upvotes
Nev0513 wrote: Clearly you're not a car guy. That's like saying, where in this city am I going to use ALL the power and handling of my Honda Accord? Yes it can reach to 240 KM/H but am I going to be doing that in the city? NO. The Golf R power will come in handy when you're overtaking someone, in a hurry or just having some fun. If you get the manual, the feeling of just pushing the car far in the RPMs and then downshifting and hearing the exhaust crackle and pop is just amazing. That being said, I am a car guy so I enjoy these little things on my commutes. To some people it won't matter at all. OP should test drive both and then decide.
A car guy won't get a golf R either as it's not really that fast or anywhere near top of class for performance or that fun to drive. It's a car of compromise much like the A class. You talk about car feedback yet the golf R has minimal of the things you mentioned
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2010
1290 posts
476 upvotes
I just went and priced these cars, they're pretty close, but I can't choose either.
Benz can't give you a manual, and VW interior is way too bleak in all black.
I prefer the Benz for all the options you can get and the gee whiz interior.
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2009
2319 posts
1192 upvotes
BC
StatsGuy wrote: Unless you want absolute performance (which the R isn't anywhere near top of class of anyways), the A is much better for interior, design, comfort and technology

The R is so dated and that interior looks several gens behind the A class

The people who say the A class is badge and poser are a bit hypocritical as they're the only ones who care about perception of the model/badge instead of the vehicle. Why does it matter A class is the cheapest MB if it's got the mix of design/features and pricepoint of what someone wants.

Caring that it's the cheapest Mb model is no different than buying a BMW 320i or whatever only for the badge
What? The dsg version is the quickest of the bunch. The interior is far from dated with the digital cockpit it's a bit bland though.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2013
2161 posts
3198 upvotes
GTA
derass wrote: What are you talking about? Bentley has been making luxury cars for 100 years.
Apparently, ya can’t read. Let’s try this again:

“A lot of people hating on MB in this thread calling it a poseur car as if that's not a big reason for why people buy cars. *cough* Bentley *cough*”
Nov 7, 2017
534 posts
571 upvotes
Durham
StatsGuy wrote: A car guy won't get a golf R either as it's not really that fast or anywhere near top of class for performance or that fun to drive. It's a car of compromise much like the A class. You talk about car feedback yet the golf R has minimal of the things you mentioned
Of course not, but OP's decision is between those 2 only.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
4533 posts
5072 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
StatsGuy wrote: A car guy won't get a golf R either as it's not really that fast or anywhere near top of class for performance or that fun to drive. It's a car of compromise much like the A class. You talk about car feedback yet the golf R has minimal of the things you mentioned
Lots of "car guys" get the GTI/R for a DD. The Focus RS is dead and gone, but when it was around the suspension was so rough for DD'ing that it ruled a lot of people out. The Type R looks ridiculous if you're over 30 years old. The STI is a dated platform with little tech features and creature comforts. The S3/CLA AMG/others are priced more expensive, not sure what else to compare it against in its segment? The A250 is a welcome addition and a very strong contender, but a real "car guy" would wait for the AMG version.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
3873 posts
1142 upvotes
GTA
miorya wrote: To be honest, I really don't know how reliable these 2 brands are. I just ask people I know who own the cars on their opinion of it.
A250 is a brand-new model. Regardless of which brand is more reliable, just don't expect A250 to be any more reliable than R.
Also consider repair time as it would be extremely hard to find any part in stock for the first 1 year or so. Pretty much any part order will be backorder to the factory.
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
12390 posts
6571 upvotes
Vaughan
vkizzle wrote: Which is subjective!
Luxury to everyone is subjective. You're going to have a different definition of luxury compared to someone else when it comes to cars.
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2018
10135 posts
10247 upvotes
froesesp wrote: What? The dsg version is the quickest of the bunch. The interior is far from dated with the digital cockpit it's a bit bland though.
I said in the class, the golf R is a lot slower than a CTR and way less fun to drive but it's better for daily driving so a compromise.

Anyone who cares about best performance or fun to drive as important factor won't be buying a golf R anyways was my point and both the golf R and A class is a compromise/balance
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2018
10135 posts
10247 upvotes
Ecsta wrote: Lots of "car guys" get the GTI/R for a DD. The Focus RS is dead and gone, but when it was around the suspension was so rough for DD'ing that it ruled a lot of people out. The Type R looks ridiculous if you're over 30 years old. The STI is a dated platform with little tech features and creature comforts. The S3/CLA AMG/others are priced more expensive, not sure what else to compare it against in its segment? The A250 is a welcome addition and a very strong contender, but a real "car guy" would wait for the AMG version.
Hence why the golf R is a compromise and nobody who cares about performance or fun to drive would get one. Just like the A class is a compromise

A class has way better interior and features and design than a golf r, but slower just like a golf R is way slower but overall better comfort for a DD than CTR

But as you admit, no car guy would get a golf R or A class now so it's comparing what's important (speed for the R or design/feature for the A class
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
wow, lol, what a hot shit tossing contest this turned into.

OP, do you value a more performance orientated vehicle that looks like a normal shit box? Or do you value perceived luxury with all the bells and whistles?

Personally, I'd take the Merc.
StatsGuy wrote: Hence why the golf R is a compromise and nobody who cares about performance or fun to drive would get one. Just like the A class is a compromise

A class has way better interior and features and design than a golf r, but slower just like a golf R is way slower but overall better comfort for a DD than CTR

But as you admit, no car guy would get a golf R or A class now so it's comparing what's important (speed for the R or design/feature for the A class
I get the point that your trying to make but you make your point very hard to agree with. I tried the Golf R, I'm a car guy, and to others, I got the inferior STI. No compromise. A car guy doesn't necessary want the flash and a FWD performance car. RWD? Sure, but fwd is a joke. The CTR is more a DD than the R or STI.

IMO of course, you are ok to disagree.
Last edited by koffey on Mar 14th, 2019 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
StatsGuy wrote: Hence why the golf R is a compromise and nobody who cares about performance or fun to drive would get one. Just like the A class is a compromise

A250: all show and no go
R: no show and all go

What type of "car guy" are you?