• Last Updated:
  • Sep 2nd, 2014 12:24 am
Tags:
None
Dec 23, 2007
405 posts
93 upvotes
Hamilton
I just bought a 1.8T Jetta and I love it. The fuel consumption is much lower than the 2.slow and it is much faster. I would definitely spend the extra little bit and get that.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2014
1041 posts
134 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Does the 1.8 require premium? or is 87 fine?
A really inspirational quote should be here. But I haven't found one yet.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2012
2252 posts
228 upvotes
Toronto
Maverick98 wrote: Does the 1.8 require premium? or is 87 fine?
Regular. Feed it the cheap stuff. Although almost all manufacturers will recommend you give it 91 for optimum performance especially on turbo cars.
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2008
19157 posts
9081 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Maverick98 wrote: Does the 1.8 require premium? or is 87 fine?
Premium will give best performance and probably fuel efficiency. APR's dyno proves that, at least on the power side.
RFD is love. RFD is life.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1982 posts
659 upvotes
South Western Ontari…
geokilla wrote: Premium will give best performance and probably fuel efficiency. APR's dyno proves that, at least on the power side.
but its tuned for 87 octane no?

and to the OP, I personally believe Passat trendline auto tranny is better buy than Jetta comfortline 1.8t auto
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1982 posts
659 upvotes
South Western Ontari…
geokilla wrote: Probably tuned for 91 octane, but because Volkswagen knows North Americans love their 87 octane gasoline, it decided to rate the engines at 87 octane gasoline instead?

http://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_upgra ... trans.html
i know there is knock sensor for lower octane level but i would think vw would just give it with 87 octane tune rather than downgrading it. seems like working backwards
Penalty Box
Jul 11, 2008
4368 posts
1508 upvotes
Away from RFD idiots
my parent has mazda 3. doesn't feel flimsy at all. a lot of standard features, bought base auto.

now i just want to go home and check if it's made in japan or mexico as newer ones will be made in mexico.

i'd get VW if it's TDI.. first time i heard someone say german cars have better reliability than japan cars
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
gilboman wrote: i hope you are not driving around in the 2.0L... I had a 96 Jetta with the 2.0.. it was slow and loud in 1996

as for interior...I don't know..a mazda 3 has way less lights than a jetta's interior and a lot more premium

I think you mistaken heavy for premium, but that's fine..some people like heavy cars and not agile ones with feedback.

the problems start when warranty is over..... so I hope you have a few k saved up

all my VWs (that 97 Jetta, 05 GTI, 08 Rabbit) avgd about 1.5-2k in repairs a year after warranty is over..except the GTI since it was a lease but that thing was always in the shop.

Though you are very lucky, since you got a 20 year old VW ... it's very basic so less to go wrong..but still a VW..so your transmission, AC, alternator will go and various gaskets will leak at around the 80-120k mark

so about 3k + 1k + 1k +2k +15% contingency = 9k give or take should be saved up for repairs for the 2-3 years after warranty is gone

For service, tell them to shove it for their checks..the oil change itself is around $100 from the dealer +/- $10 or so..but the spark plugs and etc.. are half th elife of other makes.

I hope you had your tranny serviced already (eventhough they say it's lifetime fluid)..
You also have to realize you owned VW's all around the 2000 year range (other then the rabbit) and they were known for issues around that time so it does not surprise me you are against VW, you bought them at the worst year. They MK5/MK6 and newer are more reliable then those older years.

I have 110k on my 07 vw GTI, neither my transmission, AC, Gaskets, Alternator or anything like that has given me any issues at all. SO again you may have had the issues with your car because they were more problematic back then & not as much now.

Also the DSG transmission does not say lifetime fluid, they say to service it (filter/fluid) every 60k, so again I know you have had bad luck in the past but that does not reflect the newer cars now so please dont post incorrect information for new car buyers.

For other people saying the 2.0L engine is slow, I think you guys are talking about the 2.5L non turbo engine (the 2.0L is turbo charged i dont recall them having a 2.0L thats not turbocharged) So yes 2.5L engine is lower and underpowered compared to the other engines VW makes HOWEVER the 2.5L is actually one of the most reliable gas powered engines they sell so if you can deal with the lower power it may be a good idea.

OP - If you are looking for a good deal on a new Jetta send me a PM I can get you into contact with a great dealer that will beat the prices of other vw dealers.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2006
4333 posts
798 upvotes
sickcars wrote: You also have to realize you owned VW's all around the 2000 year range (other then the rabbit) and they were known for issues around that time so it does not surprise me you are against VW, you bought them at the worst year. They MK5/MK6 and newer are more reliable then those older years.

I have 110k on my 07 vw GTI, neither my transmission, AC, Gaskets, Alternator or anything like that has given me any issues at all. SO again you may have had the issues with your car because they were more problematic back then & not as much now.

Also the DSG transmission does not say lifetime fluid, they say to service it (filter/fluid) every 60k, so again I know you have had bad luck in the past but that does not reflect the newer cars now so please dont post incorrect information for new car buyers.

For other people saying the 2.0L engine is slow, I think you guys are talking about the 2.5L non turbo engine (the 2.0L is turbo charged i dont recall them having a 2.0L thats not turbocharged) So yes 2.5L engine is lower and underpowered compared to the other engines VW makes HOWEVER the 2.5L is actually one of the most reliable gas powered engines they sell so if you can deal with the lower power it may be a good idea.

OP - If you are looking for a good deal on a new Jetta send me a PM I can get you into contact with a great dealer that will beat the prices of other vw dealers.
Wat? There is a 2.0L 115hp engine in the lineup, not anymore though as it is replaced by the 1.8T in 2014. That is painfully slow and the engine sounds horrible.
Dec 23, 2007
405 posts
93 upvotes
Hamilton
smrtphur wrote: but its tuned for 87 octane no?

and to the OP, I personally believe Passat trendline auto tranny is better buy than Jetta comfortline 1.8t auto
My brother just bought a 2014 Passat 1.8Tsi Sport edition while I got the 2014 Jetta Tsi trendline. His interior is noticeably nicer than mine with the soft touch dash and leatherette but I still like my car better :)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 12, 2007
6145 posts
886 upvotes
Greely
sickcars wrote: For other people saying the 2.0L engine is slow, I think you guys are talking about the 2.5L non turbo engine (the 2.0L is turbo charged i dont recall them having a 2.0L thats not turbocharged) So yes 2.5L engine is lower and underpowered compared to the other engines VW makes HOWEVER the 2.5L is actually one of the most reliable gas powered engines they sell so if you can deal with the lower power it may be a good idea.
Prior to this year, the options were:
2.0L naturally aspirated, 115hp (2.slow) - this engine has been around forever and was re-introduced with the "City" line a few years back... and then brought back to the Jetta line a few years ago to bring the price point down and make it competitive (pricewise) with the Civic and Corolla.
2.5L naturally aspirated, 170hp
2.0L TDI, 140hp

This year they have eliminated the 2.5L and replaced it with *a new* 1.8L TSI engine. It also puts out 170hp but is turbocharged, higher torque, and better fuel efficiency.
Feb 26, 2008
355 posts
94 upvotes
Montreal
steve-0101 wrote: Prior to this year, the options were:
2.0L naturally aspirated, 115hp (2.slow) - this engine has been around forever and was re-introduced with the "City" line a few years back... and then brought back to the Jetta line a few years ago to bring the price point down and make it competitive (pricewise) with the Civic and Corolla.
2.0L TDI, 140hp

This year they have eliminated the 2.5L and replaced it with the old 1.8L TSI engine. It also puts out 170hp but is turbocharged, higher torque, and better fuel efficiency.

VW sure likes resurrecting their engines! That 1.8T is rock solid though... had it in my old Passat and it's still going strong to this day.
The new 1.8T engine (EA888) is not related at all to the old 1.8T from the 2000's
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2012
2319 posts
620 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
White Comet wrote: Wat? There is a 2.0L 115hp engine in the lineup, not anymore though as it is replaced by the 1.8T in 2014. That is painfully slow and the engine sounds horrible.
The 2.0L is still available and I am very Surprised at the amount of people I see driving it.

The 2.5L has been replaced with the 1.8T And the GLI's have the 2.0T
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2005
1784 posts
652 upvotes
St. John's
I have a GLI and usually get a mid-model Jetta as a loaner when my car goes in for service. Last time I found my loaner much smoother and peppier and I discovered it had the 1.8T instead of the 2.5L. Get something with that engine, it's nice and well suited to the car.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2012
2252 posts
228 upvotes
Toronto
steve-0101 wrote: Prior to this year, the options were:
2.0L TDI, 140hp

This year they have eliminated the 2.5L and replaced it with the old 1.8L TSI engine. It also puts out 170hp but is turbocharged, higher torque, and better fuel efficiency.

VW sure likes resurrecting their engines! That 1.8T is rock solid though... had it in my old Passat and it's still going strong to this day.

You better get your facts straight. The new 1.8T is NOT the old 1.8T, it's a totally new engine.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Lol the almighty German brand.

I had a Jetta TDI a couple years ago. Was ok. Got me from point a to point b. But really who gives a *****, it's a Jetta.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 12, 2007
6145 posts
886 upvotes
Greely
garyhudson wrote: Before you pull any more of that crap out of your rear end you better get your facts straight. The new 1.8T is NOT the old 1.8T, it's a totally new engine.
Thank you so much for straightening me out. I really appreciate it.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 12, 2007
6145 posts
886 upvotes
Greely
krusty50 wrote: The new 1.8T engine (EA888) is not related at all to the old 1.8T from the 2000's
I didn't realize this... Will update my post to clear it up. Thanks.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)