[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
31935 posts
8257 upvotes
GTHA

A&W Beyond Meat burger thread

image.jpg
A&W will become the first national burger chain in Canada to put the much-hyped plant-based burger on its menu.

The fast food chain has struck a partnership with Beyond Meat that will bring the plant-based burgers to its 925 locations across Canada starting July 9.

Beyond Meat and other brands like it, notably Impossible Burger, were developed specifically to look, smell, cook and taste like regular meat.

The Beyond Meat burger is touted as a healthier and environmentally friendly alternative to animal proteins, that mimics the smell and taste of beef.

The plant-based burger patty is made from protein-rich pulse crops, like peas, and mung beans.

Beyond Burger is also in TGI Friday restaurants, while rival Impossible Burger is sold at U.S. burger chain White Castle.
from https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/a-w-can ... -1.3983455
Last edited by tk1000 on Nov 6th, 2018 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
79 replies
Jun 5, 2017
569 posts
54 upvotes
Guelph, Ont
as a vegetarian i would try it. i tried swiss chalets veggie burger and it was a nightmare. dont ever eat that one.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8585 posts
1882 upvotes
London
I wonder how much it will cost. The patties themselves aren't cheap, so I wonder how much of a market there is for a niche product that is supposed to taste similar to cheaper offerings on the menu? It's good PR, but imagine it would need to be cooked separately from their beef patties.
Apr 6, 2004
425 posts
35 upvotes
Ottomaddox wrote:
Jun 21st, 2018 10:24 pm
I wonder how much it will cost. The patties themselves aren't cheap, so I wonder how much of a market there is for a niche product that is supposed to taste similar to cheaper offerings on the menu? It's good PR, but imagine it would need to be cooked separately from their beef patties.
$6.99 for the burger which has a 3oz patty (the grocery store version is 4oz).
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13384 posts
2202 upvotes
Toronto
j8lam wrote:
Jun 21st, 2018 11:28 pm
If this burger's regular price will be $6.99 just for the burger, there's no doubt they'll do a $4.50 or $5 special easily as their next big TV ad (replacing the fish ad)
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2018
1171 posts
555 upvotes
brandonly wrote:
Jun 21st, 2018 10:03 pm
as a vegetarian i would try it. i tried swiss chalets veggie burger and it was a nightmare. dont ever eat that one.
Is it same as Harvey's veggie burger? I like Harvey's veggie burger and get it over their regular burgers
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
9948 posts
2180 upvotes
Toronto
j8lam wrote:
Jun 21st, 2018 11:28 pm
playnicee1 wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2018 1:18 am
...$4.50 or $5 special easily as their next big TV ad (replacing the fish ad)
Will there also be a wrap version for half price ;)
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13384 posts
2202 upvotes
Toronto
jenviea wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2018 11:30 am
Will there also be a wrap version for half price ;)
Now that you mention it, that's exactly what they might do instead of promoting the actual burger...and offer it for $3.50!
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
1673 posts
261 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
Nice. when it comes out, im gonna order it ,and pay extra to add some bacon to it.
Hi
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
7621 posts
2003 upvotes
Toronto
GoodFellaz wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2018 3:44 pm
Nice. when it comes out, im gonna order it ,and pay extra to add some bacon to it.
do you also buy vegan mayo and "fortify" it with bacon fat?
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
39202 posts
3503 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
brandonly wrote:
Jun 21st, 2018 10:03 pm
Oh i didnt know you were vegetarian!
I would try it too. I'm a huge meat eater. But I enjoy eating vegetarian... Just because. But Chinese and Indian vegetarian styles are my fav. But I do enjoy a good veggie burger to cut cals sometimes
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
1673 posts
261 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
ShoNuff2 wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2018 4:23 pm
do you also buy vegan mayo and "fortify" it with bacon fat?
Actually I DO, just kidding. But incase you did not get the hidden message, Some people cant eat BEEF its forbidden in their religion, but are not forbidden to eat Pork, so guess what a veggie burger with bacon caters to? yep you guessed it, those people right there, and me as well since i am not forbidden to eat anything, I can copy ones style and not get in trouble as long as I call it a personal prefrence
Hi
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2005
4774 posts
59 upvotes
Local
More burger places should do this...because the buns, toppings, sauce make it so the patty is just a small part of the burger. So you wont notice the simulated meat. They can taste as good. Like if a big mac regular price was $5. And I had the option to swap the beef patties to a simluated beef for the same price. I'll pick the more environmentally friendly option.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
1242 posts
914 upvotes
Ottomaddox wrote:
Jun 21st, 2018 10:24 pm
Pulses are cheaper than meat. I know there is more going into those burgers to make them meat like but I'd still expect the price to be lower than beef equivalent.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)