• Dec 10th, 2018 11:26 am
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
7674 posts
2063 upvotes
Toronto
batcave wrote:
Jun 25th, 2018 4:19 pm
I don't know of any vegetarian that would eat this if it is cooked on the same surface or handled with the same utensils.

If they want to try this product, they will buy it at Whole Foods and cook it at home.
that's the whole point. many are going to see this "plant based" burger advertised and assume it's a burger suitable for veg/ vegan diets unless a&w makes it clear it's not.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2574 posts
973 upvotes
Everywhere
ShoNuff2 wrote:
Jun 25th, 2018 4:30 pm
that's the whole point. many are going to see this "plant based" burger advertised and assume it's a burger suitable for veg/ vegan diets unless a&w makes it clear it's not.
This announcement isn't very exciting to vegetarians. Kinda like when KFC introduced the veg burger that would be cooked in the same oil as the chickens.

Regardless, there are better options than this.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
1729 posts
287 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
batcave wrote:
Jun 25th, 2018 4:19 pm
I don't know of any vegetarian that would eat this if it is cooked on the same surface or handled with the same utensils.

If they want to try this product, they will buy it at Whole Foods and cook it at home.
I had a vegetarian come to one of our kids bday parties, actually she claims shes a vegan. not sure what the difference is but she brought these veggie or vegan pattys so i was bbqing all kinds of meat, ribs, chicken, etc, and threw them on the grill and cooked them up, yeah im sure a bit of the beef, chicken and pork grease got onto those vegan pattys, and i used the same utensils, and i put non vegan mayo and ketchup, non vegan cheeze and other condoments on her burger, she did not seem to care, but she claims shes a hard core vegan, sometimes i feel some of them just trying to be difficult like that on purpose some dont care
Hi
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2574 posts
973 upvotes
Everywhere
GoodFellaz wrote:
Jun 25th, 2018 5:23 pm
I had a vegetarian come to one of our kids bday parties, actually she claims shes a vegan. not sure what the difference is but she brought these veggie or vegan pattys so i was bbqing all kinds of meat, ribs, chicken, etc, and threw them on the grill and cooked them up, yeah im sure a bit of the beef, chicken and pork grease got onto those vegan pattys, and i used the same utensils, and i put non vegan mayo and ketchup, non vegan cheeze and other condoments on her burger, she did not seem to care, but she claims shes a hard core vegan, sometimes i feel some of them just trying to be difficult like that on purpose some dont care
Kids are kids. They can be fickle and prone to changing their minds. Or it could be her parents. There are many reasons.

If she was hardcore, she would not have showed up.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
1729 posts
287 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
exaaaaaactly, she was one of those "oh i will be a vegan today, and tomorrow switch back to meat
Hi
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
11272 posts
1389 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Veggie burgers have come a along way. For most part you wont notice the difference. But you will notice it metabolizes faster than meat, more healthy alternative. You dont feel that heaviness after eating a regular burger combo when getting up. You also dont get the increase in pulse rate as you would with regular fried beef patties because of the oil and fried carbs. It's usually cheaper than beef burgers. If higher that's from the marketing ploy and lame advertising by the company to maximize profits.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2007
1744 posts
133 upvotes
Mississauga
Ottomaddox wrote:
Jun 25th, 2018 3:01 pm
I must be missing something here, because I always assumed the point of offering a product like this was to appeal to people with specific dietary or religious convictions.
There's definitely something to meat eaters trying to reduce their overall meat consumption - "meatless mondays" are a thing these days :D
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8599 posts
1905 upvotes
London
jandumm wrote:
Jun 26th, 2018 3:35 pm
There's definitely something to meat eaters trying to reduce their overall meat consumption - "meatless mondays" are a thing these days :D
It used to be meatless fridays, lol.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 3, 2004
5737 posts
255 upvotes
brandonly wrote:
Jun 21st, 2018 10:03 pm
as a vegetarian i would try it. i tried swiss chalets veggie burger and it was a nightmare. dont ever eat that one.
You should definitely try it. This is one of the best patties I've ever had. There is this place in the states called Veggie Grill that serves them and they are unbelievable. Taste almost like the real thing. IMO, it easily beats the BK, Harvey's, KFC, Triple O's, Vera's, Fat Burger veggie burgers
Jul 15, 2003
582 posts
104 upvotes
I just tried the Beyond Meat burger at my local A&W.

A huge YMMV, but there was a 50% off promotion, no coupon needed. Got to try it for $3.50. Kinda tasted a little weird. I think I might prefer regular, veggie patties over them. Could have been a bad preparation... who knows?

Just to let you know that I'm not a vegetarian, but I do prefer veggies most of the time.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
3151 posts
987 upvotes
Global Village
djray wrote:
Jul 7th, 2018 7:56 pm
I just tried the Beyond Meat burger at my local A&W.

A huge YMMV, but there was a 50% off promotion, no coupon needed. Got to try it for $3.50. Kinda tasted a little weird. I think I might prefer regular, veggie patties over them. Could have been a bad preparation... who knows?

Just to let you know that I'm not a vegetarian, but I do prefer veggies most of the time.
Have you tried the Harvey's veggie burger? If so how do they compare?
All day I dream about sports
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
1870 posts
610 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
Is mayo one of those items that's verboten by vegans?
Diversity is Our Burden
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Dec 7, 2012
32103 posts
8353 upvotes
GTHA
poleman wrote:
Jul 9th, 2018 7:30 pm
A&W mayo is made with eggs.

Chubby Mayo
canola oil, water, liquid whole egg and yolk, vinegar, salt, sugar, spice, concentrated lemon juice, calcium disodium EDTA.
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17803 posts
864 upvotes
poleman wrote:
Jul 9th, 2018 7:30 pm
yes, there's a lot of people angry about the fact it's a "plant burger for meat eaters" rather than a "plant burger for vegans". i guess they are upset that it's cooked on the same grill and served with mayo.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)