A&W Beyond Meat burger thread

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2018 10:15 pm
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
5623 posts
1265 upvotes
Markham
Not sure if it's all locations but the Hwy7 and Kennedy location doesn't have the Patty in stock so for those looking to try it with the half off coupon, don't bother for at least a week or two.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Apr 18, 2009
803 posts
262 upvotes
Toronto/Plano/Atlant…
The location on Mavis , south of Burnhamthorpe, is also out of this item for the last 4-5 days.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
4931 posts
1170 upvotes
Aurora
I've never heard of this burger and had to google it.

Does A&W's 'Beyond Meat' Burger Pass The 'Tastes-Like-Meat' Test? We Tried It.

Concensus: It's pretty good!
Beyond Meat patty: Look: 3 Feel: 3.5 Taste: 4
"It was surprisingly good. The only thing that tipped me off that it wasn't meat was the colour, which was slightly orange. Otherwise, it tasted like meat to me, and better meat than the Mama Burger we sampled (though I'd normally get a Teen Burger).

"The veggie burger, meanwhile, looked awful, felt worn out and the taste ranged from mundane to foul. The veggie burger should be phased out, and the Beyond Meat burger should become a permanent item on A&W's menu."

Overall: 3.5/5
Beyond Meat patty: Look: 4 Feel: 4 Taste: 4
"Having had both the Beyond Meat burger and A&W's beef offering in the same sitting (and raising my odds of dying of hypertension at the same time), I have to admit, I prefer the vegan burger over its meatier brother (and its sad cousin, the Veggie Deluxe).

"The beef definitely has a familiar taste but ran on the dry side towards the last few bites while the Beyond Meat burger stayed flavourful start to finish. This patty isn't going to fool anyone into thinking they're eating beef thanks to its overly orange hue but that's not the point, because this is tasty."

Overall: 4/5
Beyond Meat patty: Look: 4 Feel: 4 Taste: 4
"I was fully prepared to hate this burger, because I love meat and generally dislike vegetarian versions of meat. However, I was totally into it! It actually wasn't 'bloody' and comes close to tasting like meat — you can tell by the slightly mealy texture, but otherwise, if I didn't know it wasn't meat, I'd have no idea. The flavour's pretty mild. It could be a little saltier and a little more umami. By comparison, the Mama Burger patty looked and tasted kinda grey, and the Veggie Deluxe tasted like cardboard and paste. AVOID."

Overall: 4/5
Beyond Meat patty: Look: 3.5 Feel: 4 Taste: 4
"Looked like meat, but maybe not like beef. Reminiscent of a ham patty. A nice texture and pleasant flavour, a bit drowned out by the other elements of the burger. Texture was a good approximation. A very tasty veggie burger, but a veggie burger nonetheless. If someone switched my regular burger with this, would I notice? Yes, yes I would, but it would take a while. And if I was drunk, I might not notice at all."

Overall: 3.75/5
Well, there you have it, folks. Looks like the Beyond Meat Burger "beet" out the real-meat Mama and the Veggie Deluxe. Will you try it? Let us know in the comments below.
May 12, 2014
716 posts
328 upvotes
Markham, ON
It's out in all location across Canada according to this article. There are also articles that say they we our as early as July 10, the day after the release. I searched online after trying to get a burger with their half off coupon last week. There were a few people who were trying to get the same thing while I was there. The location I went to, 8 Mercer St had a sign stating they were out but it was not conspicuous.

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/aw-out-b ... urger-2018
https://www.livekindly.co/aw-sell-out-v ... d-burgers/
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13393 posts
2206 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone notice TV ads AFTER the 16th of August still telling people to go to A&W on the 16th?
Maybe someone carelessly pulled all the Plant burger ads without realizing that the replacement ad has expired?
Lucky for them it wasn't an ad for one of their expired lower price burger specials. lol
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13393 posts
2206 upvotes
Toronto
Yorkies2 wrote:
Aug 8th, 2018 9:40 am
If you didn’t know it wasn’t Beef you couldn’t tell. Delicious! Only problem is it’s very expensive!
That's the problem. On one hand, the $3.50 app special most likely caused a quick sell out.
OTOH, full price may not have drawn a strong enough crowd to get just the right amount of burgers sold.
I'm guessing the magic number might be $4.50-$4.99 for the burger alone to draw just the right amount of attention to it without the shortage that the $3.50 price may have created...
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
5623 posts
1265 upvotes
Markham
sprung wrote:
Jul 15th, 2018 9:29 am
My buddy hooked me up with a stack of A&W 50% coupons. See lots of veggie burgers in my immediate future.
See my post here....seems they don't have stock. Not sure when it will be restocked for you to use up that stack of coupons.

w-beyond-meat-burger-oos-2216809/#p29719798

Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
16116 posts
12813 upvotes
Toronto
Dear Burger Lovers,

Thanks for being beyond patient! We’ve been working hard to build up our Beyond Meat Burger supply and we’re excited to confirm that all our restaurants across Canada will be back in stock starting October 1st.

So mark your calendars, tell all your friends, and we look forward to seeing you at your local A&W!
An earlier version of this article incorrectly described a behavior of crows exposed to crow corpses. Live crows only touch, attack and attempt intercourse with crow corpses, they do not scavenge them. (Actual NYT correction)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6252 posts
2330 upvotes
Toronto
not sure how the A&W variation fares but I've had the Beyond burger a few times at Veggie Grill in California and it was excellent
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
15842 posts
2124 upvotes
Toronto
White Castle is going to carry a Beyond Meat burger as well, so I wonder how quickly they'll be able to resupply. This 'we introduced it and then ran out for 3 months' move A&W pulled isn't good for PR.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
3358 posts
1219 upvotes
if there are no good coupons to use on this when it does come back then there is no point.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
4423 posts
450 upvotes
Toronto
We finally got around to trying this and it was awful.

I have found that A&W's quality and taste lately has really fallen off, even with their regular burgers and fries.
Oct 15, 2013
340 posts
371 upvotes
Are these all stocked up now? Tried 3 different stores couple weeks ago and all were out.

While on the topic...managed to try beyond meat sausages aswell as impossible burger (whole foods own) with a trip to USA recently.

Beyond burgers were sold out.

Sausages, amazing. Really tasty and great texture. Not cheap though.
Whole foods did their own version too, almost as good as the beyond brand and a little cheaper.

Impossible burgers I didn’t like, they tasted too meaty to me, which I guess means they are doing what they are designed to do for meat eaters but I think long time vegetarians could struggle. The bleed aspect works, but is gimmick and not really needed. I think this bit might get phased out over time, I imagine it costs extra to color that.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
5623 posts
1265 upvotes
Markham
charliegee wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 5:32 pm
Are these all stocked up now? Tried 3 different stores couple weeks ago and all were out.

While on the topic...managed to try beyond meat sausages aswell as impossible burger (whole foods own) with a trip to USA recently.

Beyond burgers were sold out.

Sausages, amazing. Really tasty and great texture. Not cheap though.
Whole foods did their own version too, almost as good as the beyond brand and a little cheaper.

Impossible burgers I didn’t like, they tasted too meaty to me, which I guess means they are doing what they are designed to do for meat eaters but I think long time vegetarians could struggle. The bleed aspect works, but is gimmick and not really needed. I think this bit might get phased out over time, I imagine it costs extra to color that.
They are back in stock now.... And the location (Hey 7 /Kennedy) I went to accepted the old half price coupon.

PS. Taste was ok, i would rather eat a Wendy's single with cheese for $3.