Food & Drink

A&W Beyond Meat burger thread

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2018 10:15 pm
Oct 15, 2013
341 posts
375 upvotes
Slight bump...what I've been doing with the beyond meat is getting a papa and asking them to sub in beyond meat burgers. If you ask for standard beyond meat burger + extra patty you get an extra 2.99 charge on top of the already expensive burger and it's something like $9 without cheese so almost $10 with.

If you get the papa you get two beyond meat patties for I believe $7.50. I get it with cheese so its $8.27 exactly. Not tried with grand papa, though I might if I'm really hungry. Three beyond meat patties in one burger would be a feast.

Still not cheap but not out of this world and it is very filling. Plus I like supporting A&W for being brave enough to bring this across the nation personally. I think what they have done will accelerate more products like this in our market (please Quorn, do it!)

Extra note: They will do a double buddy burger I think for about the same price as papa (single buddy beyond is $4.20 I think + extra patty for 2.99) but papa seems like better value, not 100% on that. They were saying something about the bun being too small when I was trying to order that so just got them to do papa instead.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
23091 posts
3453 upvotes
Another slight bump. I never bothered to try this at A&W but when I was in the US a week ago I picked up a set (they sell them in twos) at Whole Foods over there. I'm not sure if they sell these in grocery stores here? Anyway they were not cheap and I had forgotten to cook them, but today was the expiry date so I went ahead and cooked them up. A few things:
-I dunno if mine had actually started to go bad, they were actually frozen at Whole Foods and it was only a couple hours until I got home and they were in the trunk and it was a fairly cold day, when I got home they still looked frozen so the date should still be accurate. But what I'm trying to say though is...they did not smell too good :| I'm not sure if they're supposed to smell like that or if they were going south so I just took my chances and cooked them. Realistically as long as cooked you can't really get sick but they just won't taste good if they were spoiled.
-I cooked them in the house on a little indoor grille because I was too lazy to go out in the dark rainy night to BBQ them. A bit of a mistake because again the smell is not really too nice. I mean it didn't smell like rotting but just...very weird I guess.

Once cooked (I pretty much overcooked them to be on safe side--says they should still be pink inside, mine were not), I ate one. They smelled fine when cooked as well. Wow, I have to say I was pretty shocked at just how much like meat they actually tasted. It almost tastes like they added liquid smoke to them as well but no such ingredient so perhaps its's the beet juice they have? Texture not exactly the same as real meat but taste was really quite good. As a big meat-eater I was def. impressed.

Way too expensive though. Whole Foods marks things up beyond [pardon the pun] where they should be to begin with, plus these aren't cheap otherwise I don't think. Probably cost the equivalent of like $10 CAD for two 1/4lb burgers...raw...from the grocery store. Even if they sold these here and I could eat more of them, I wouldn't because they would cost too much to buy and that's comparing to today's beef prices which aren't exactly low.
charliegee wrote:
Oct 27th, 2018 3:57 pm
If you get the papa you get two beyond meat patties for I believe $7.50. I get it with cheese so its $8.27 exactly. Not tried with grand papa, though I might if I'm really hungry. Three beyond meat patties in one burger would be a feast.
Keep in mind that Beyond Meat, while not meat, isn't really any more healthy for you than beef. Still 20g of fat in a [1/4lb] patty and 270 Cal (though at least no cholesterol). I mean maybe it's a little better but not by much. They also seem to "cook down" less than beef so the 1/4lb you start with is pretty close to that after cooking.

charliegee wrote:
Still not cheap but not out of this world and it is very filling.
It actually seems like it's cheaper to just buy them here, prepared & cooked than at the grocery store in the US, lol! But I think the patties @ A&W are a little smaller? I would not call them out of this world but they are actually pretty good IMO. They are def. filling as mentioned, they don't lose much mass in cooking.
charliegee wrote:
Plus I like supporting A&W for being brave enough to bring this across the nation personally. I think what they have done will accelerate more products like this in our market (please Quorn, do it!)
Quorn has a different problem. There's nothing stopping Beyond Meat from being sold here I don't think--it's just pea protein and a bunch of other stuff that's all already food-safe/certified for consumption in Canada. Quorn needs to go through a very expensive process in order to have their mycoprotein tested and certified as safe by the Canadian government--it's too much cost for them for such a small market, which is why they won't do it. So you can probably count Quorn out for a good while. Personally I really like the taste of Quorn burgers as well but the texture is just not there. Perhaps if they made a thicker burger, like the Beyond ones, they'd be better. I dunno why they're so thin. Also Quorn products are basically "pre-cooked" and frozen while Beyond you get at the grocery store is raw and perishable. I didn't think that BM would be a better burger than Quorn TBH, but after trying it I have to say it definitely is. Much thicker and texture though again not beef, comes off a lot better than the thin Quorn burgers.

Someone earlier mentioned Impossible is available at Whole Foods (US) as well? I didn't see it there but I will have to check again next time I'm there--very interested to try those. Personally I'm not so much interested in looking for any meat substitutes (I'm quite fine with eating beef, etc.) but it's always interesting to try this stuff. It's a long ways away from most "veggie burgers" I've had in the past, that's for sure!
Oct 15, 2013
341 posts
375 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 7:46 pm
Someone earlier mentioned Impossible is available at Whole Foods (US) as well? I didn't see it there but I will have to check again next time I'm there--very interested to try those. Personally I'm not so much interested in looking for any meat substitutes (I'm quite fine with eating beef, etc.) but it's always interesting to try this stuff. It's a long ways away from most "veggie burgers" I've had in the past, that's for sure!
Yes that was me. I bought something like $180 worth of stuff and brought it across the border just before Thanksgiving. Quorn roasts and breaded nuggets, whole foods own brand impossible burgers and sausages and beyond meat sausages (they were out of BM burgers so I can't say what they smell like raw).

I wasn't a fan of impossible burgers, too meat like for a long term vegetarian like me. My gf liked it more than I did, she's a meat eater. It did develop a crispy outside from frying which was the only thing that really gave away it wasn't meat when in a burger with the trimmings and yes, it "bleeds".

The sausages I love though, both whole foods version and beyond meat were really good. They are very different texture wise from Quorn sausages for eg. (which are mostly available in Europe not US, range is huge there especially UK) and would occupy different meal times for me.

Quorn, the Turkey Roast in particular is actually really healthy source of protein and like you say Beyond Meat is good but it's high fat. Great if you're doing Keto though on a vegetarian diet which can be hard/boring sometimes.

Very much looking forward to BM coming here in store but it won't be cheap like you say and it might be a while as it seems like they are having trouble keeping up with demand as it is without expanding even more.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
23091 posts
3453 upvotes
charliegee wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 8:17 pm
Yes that was me. I bought something like $180 worth of stuff and brought it across the border just before Thanksgiving. Quorn roasts and breaded nuggets, whole foods own brand impossible burgers and sausages and beyond meat sausages (they were out of BM burgers so I can't say what they smell like raw).
Ha you really stocked up, but if you're a vegetarian I guess it's a good idea given you can't get this stuff here. Yeah that smell, I really wish I had've cooked the burgers outside lol. Gonna take a while for it to go away. But yeah the burger tasted good (and I have the other one now for later).
charliegee wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 8:17 pm
I wasn't a fan of impossible burgers, too meat like for a long term vegetarian like me. My gf liked it more than I did, she's a meat eater. It did develop a crispy outside from frying which was the only thing that really gave away it wasn't meat when in a burger with the trimmings and yes, it "bleeds".
Now I'm even more interested in trying it lol. But I'm guessing you weren't always a vegetarian which is why you say it's "too meat like" (you must have eaten meat to know what it tastes like)? But that seems odd--to me there's no such thing as "too meat like" :lol: But to each his own. I really only try this stuff for the sake of trying it and seeing how close to meat they can really get. Beyond Meat is quite good but given it's not much more healthy than meat and costs a whole lot more, there's not really much draw there to continue buying/eating it. I'm not sure how I missed the Impossible Burgers when I was at the Whole Foods but I will definitely get some next time.
Jun 5, 2017
570 posts
54 upvotes
Guelph, Ont
I tried the beyond meat burger recently (I'm vegetarian/vegan) and i honestly thought they screwed up my order when i got home and ended up with a real meat burger, which it wasn't. It looks, smells and tastes like a real beef burger, i was very impressed. I thought it tasted better than a lot of real beef burgers do. Its not something i would buy often since its like $7 just for the burger itself, but it was damb good.