Food & Drink

A&W coffee is so good

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 3rd, 2017 3:08 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2088 posts
101 upvotes
I'll give it a shot. These days I'm favoring tea more and more tho Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Cold Sweat
Apr 22, 2005
339 posts
1 upvote
Kitchener
They must have changed their coffee then? I had it a few years back and it was so bad I swore it off for good, shame because their breakfast sandwiches are pretty good
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
25127 posts
5564 upvotes
GTHA
sticks wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 6:55 pm
They must have changed their coffee then? I had it a few years back and it was so bad I swore it off for good, shame because their breakfast sandwiches are pretty good
March 2015 A&W announced they partnered with Van Houtte.

http://www.marketwired.com/press-releas ... 996376.htm

"The brewed coffee is exclusively blended and roasted for A&W by Montreal-based master roaster Van Houtte. The lively 100% Arabica, organic, Fair Trade blend is rich and full bodied in taste and always served fresh. Together with any of A&W's range of fresh-to-order breakfast offerings, it is the perfect start to any morning."
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4051 posts
1095 upvotes
I must say A&W ruined my daily MCD/TH coffee for good.
Feb 29, 2016
203 posts
55 upvotes
A&W has worked it's way back to one of my top fast food choices. Always loved the root beer and enjoyed their burgers but the breakfast and coffee is top notch.
Nov 10, 2015
924 posts
223 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
The A & Ws in our town are absolutely packed in the mornings with seniors. A & W always has a few newspapers, as does McDs, and these people are there, reading papers, drinking coffee and having a very reasonable priced breakfast. A & W has a small gold mine with their breakfasts.
At times it's hard to find a seat.
Anyone But Justin 2019
Deal Guru
Dec 4, 2010
14321 posts
1025 upvotes
poleman wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 10:48 pm
The A & Ws in our town are absolutely packed in the mornings with seniors. A & W always has a few newspapers, as does McDs, and these people are there, reading papers, drinking coffee and having a very reasonable priced breakfast. A & W has a small gold mine with their breakfasts.
At times it's hard to find a seat.
I don't think Ikea has anything to worry about.

People line up for the $1 breakfast every single day. lol why cook when you can just eat there for cheaper most of the time.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
1129 posts
254 upvotes
ilove wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 12:34 am
I must say A&W ruined my daily MCD/TH coffee for good.
Had my first cup of black coffee from A&W a couple days ago on St. Paddy's Day along with one of their breakfast sandwiches. I thought the coffee was just OKAY. I am not convinced it is superior to the coffee from McDonald's which is from Mother Parkers.

Just in case A&W was having an off day at that particular franchise, I will give it a few more tests at different A&W's before I reach my final verdict. To this day, I still have not found any fast food chain with better black coffee than the place with the Golden Arches. McDonald's.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2015
1095 posts
255 upvotes
Ottawa,Ont
Mr_Fanta wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 11:53 am
Had my first cup of black coffee from A&W a couple days ago on St. Paddy's Day along with one of their breakfast sandwiches. I thought the coffee was just OKAY. I am not convinced it is superior to the coffee from McDonald's which is from Mother Parkers.

Just in case A&W was having an off day at that particular franchise, I will give it a few more tests at different A&W's before I reach my final verdict. To this day, I still have not found any fast food chain with better black coffee than the place with the Golden Arches. McDonald's.
I agree
Jul 12, 2006
337 posts
13 upvotes
I've tried van Houtte at Metro. I thought it was meh. But I will try a&W. Btw what's the diff between just a roaster and Master roaster?
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
1129 posts
254 upvotes
Tried A&W's black coffee two more times earlier this week at different franchises than my first time. Both times the coffee was better than my first cup which I had on St. Paddy's Day. I will continue to drink their coffee, but my final verdict it is no way better than McDonald's coffee.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4051 posts
1095 upvotes
McDonald's coffee is at best, drinkable. Many times I've had to throw it away.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
3085 posts
827 upvotes
Moncton
Freshness would be my concern. That is the advantage of Tim Hortons. They sell so much brewed coffee it is always fresh. Even at Starbucks the brewed coffee might have been brewed a while ago, as most drinks are expresso based.

It isn't only black vs. cream and sugar. What you eat adds flavour to the coffee. Some people add a pinch of salt directly to their coffee! Tooth paste, mouthwash and gum, things we use as considerate coffee drinkers, can have a devastating impact of the taste of coffee.

So for a true taste test, you should rinse your mouth with water first. Also, stick to the same city, as city water is a main ingredient in brewed coffee. Also, coffee sales are much higher in cold climates like Canada's. That summer coffee won't taste that great unless you are in Vancouver or the air conditioning is blasting.

Kind of ironic that A&W has "fair trade" coffee. Nothing fair about an A&W salary. Try paying the rent with $11 an hour in Moncton, never mind Toronto. Adult minimum wage in Australia is C$18 an hour! Just saying.

Tip: Adjust your taste buds to cheap communist Vietnamese robusta coffee at home (most instant coffee). You will learn to like it. And nothing is fairer than communism. Right? ;)

As a bonus, Robusta coffee has significantly more caffeine than Arabica.
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Sep 13, 2016
75 posts
63 upvotes
^Tim Horton's always fresh lol. Not only is it not fresh but the taste varies considerably at the same location hour by hour.