• Dec 6th, 2017 8:28 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4106 posts
1137 upvotes
MonctonMan wrote:
Apr 1st, 2017 9:42 pm
Freshness would be my concern. That is the advantage of Tim Hortons. They sell so much brewed coffee it is always fresh. Even at Starbucks the brewed coffee might have been brewed a while ago, as most drinks are expresso based.

It isn't only black vs. cream and sugar. What you eat adds flavour to the coffee. Some people add a pinch of salt directly to their coffee! Tooth paste, mouthwash and gum, things we use as considerate coffee drinkers, can have a devastating impact of the taste of coffee.

So for a true taste test, you should rinse your mouth with water first. Also, stick to the same city, as city water is a main ingredient in brewed coffee. Also, coffee sales are much higher in cold climates like Canada's. That summer coffee won't taste that great unless you are in Vancouver or the air conditioning is blasting.

Kind of ironic that A&W has "fair trade" coffee. Nothing fair about an A&W salary. Try paying the rent with $11 an hour in Moncton, never mind Toronto. Adult minimum wage in Australia is C$18 an hour! Just saying.

Tip: Adjust your taste buds to cheap communist Vietnamese robusta coffee at home (most instant coffee). You will learn to like it. And nothing is fairer than communism. Right? ;)

As a bonus, Robusta coffee has significantly more caffeine than Arabica.
The A&W I frequent marks their pots with time, and the coffee is thrown out on a schedule, much like Tim's Ho's. I don't know if it's a chain-wide policy or not.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
3603 posts
622 upvotes
Alberta
profile wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 12:39 pm
When I go to A&W I want the root beer so coffee is a second on my list no matter how good it is.
Goes for me too. I always get the root beer.
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
9219 posts
3305 upvotes
Ottawa
MonctonMan wrote:
Freshness would be my concern. That is the advantage of Tim Hortons. They sell so much brewed coffee it is always fresh. Even at Starbucks the brewed coffee might have been brewed a while ago, as most drinks are expresso based.
Hard to take coffee advice from someone using the word expresso.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Deal Addict
May 18, 2005
3412 posts
345 upvotes
I tried their coffee before it was terrible, it was probably before the change though. To me MCD coffee is still the best, they might have consistency issue sometimes but good for me most of the time.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2338 posts
151 upvotes
LoveRFD wrote:
Apr 2nd, 2017 8:45 am
I tried their coffee before it was terrible, it was probably before the change though. To me MCD coffee is still the best, they might have consistency issue sometimes but good for me most of the time.
Yea, I tried all three: McDonald's, Tim Hortons, A&W. McD overall has a fresher taste and smoother in flavor, imo.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
3453 posts
935 upvotes
Moncton
Cas77 wrote:
Apr 2nd, 2017 8:29 am
Hard to take coffee advice from someone using the word expresso.
Expresso is the Canadian spelling of the Italian-American word espresso. ;)
But seriously, the words derive from the latin word exprimiere. Expresso is what the French use. Since there are already so many French words in English, for consistency sake, intellectuals like myself prefer the French spelling, so as not to confuse the plebs (by the way, an awesome TV show).
http://www.slate.com/blogs/lexicon_vall ... rical.html

Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
8140 posts
1303 upvotes
I've tried in the past.. Nothing special that I noticed.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2015
1097 posts
711 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Would give it a try at some point.
Is A&W coffee cheaper than Van Houtte? or at the same price?
Sep 7, 2011
15 posts
Calgary
I am never a fan of any fast food chain, especially burgers! Only liked Timis breakfast and Mac breakfast before, not a coffee drinker either.
But A&W surprised me with their sweet potato fries and root beer once. This morning I am surprised with their coffee, exactly like what ppl said here, it’s smooth and I love it!
Someone mentioned their burgers are tasteless, I had to mention that they use 100% local farmers products. I don’t eat burger, haven’t eat a Mac burger like in years, but if I had to grab a meal, I’d rather go to A&W.
Cons: A&W uses burgers bread for their breaki and I’m not a big fan of that. I think if A&W can improve their breakfast bun to English muffin, biscuits or crossiant, even just toasted bread are better than what they r serving now!
Last edited by rachelrx on Oct 28th, 2017 12:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26876 posts
6379 upvotes
GTHA
rachelrx wrote:
Oct 28th, 2017 12:25 pm
Cons: A&W uses burgers bread for their breaki and I’m not a big fan of that. I think if A&W can improve their breakfast bun to English muffin, biscuits or crossiant, even just toasted bread are better than what they r serving now!
You have an option of toasted English Muffin or Sesame seed bun.

See the Breakfast menu online
https://web.aw.ca/en/our-menu/breakfast
Sep 7, 2011
15 posts
Calgary
tk1000 wrote:
Oct 28th, 2017 12:31 pm
You have an option of toasted English Muffin or Sesame seed bun.

See the Breakfast menu online
https://web.aw.ca/en/our-menu/breakfast
Glad to know that, I didn’t know there is an option since I don’t go there often. This morning is my Second visit to A&W of the year.
Good thing is that they have breakfast meal choice and their dining environment is much much much better than any Mac Donald’s or Tim Horton’s! And it is a 24 hours opened one!
Last edited by rachelrx on Oct 28th, 2017 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 7, 2011
15 posts
Calgary
What’s wrong with espresso now? Please educate me.
Sep 7, 2011
15 posts
Calgary
MonctonMan wrote:

It isn't only black vs. cream and sugar. What you eat adds flavour to the coffee. Some people add a pinch of salt directly to their coffee! Tooth paste, mouthwash and gum, things we use as considerate coffee drinkers, can have a devastating impact of the taste of coffee.

So for a true taste test, you should rinse your mouth with water first. Also, stick to the same city, as city water is a main ingredient in brewed coffee. Also, coffee sales are much higher in cold climates like Canada's. That summer coffee won't taste that great unless you are in Vancouver or the air conditioning is blasting.

Kind of ironic that A&W has "fair trade" coffee. Nothing fair about an A&W salary. Try paying the rent with $11 an hour in Moncton, never mind Toronto. Adult minimum wage in Australia is C$18 an hour! Just saying.

Tip: Adjust your taste buds to cheap communist Vietnamese robusta coffee at home (most instant coffee). You will learn to like it. And nothing is fairer than communism. Right? ;)

As a bonus, Robusta coffee has significantly more caffeine than Arabica.
Funny, RFD is known for product and service, since when we also have to consider their wages as one part of comparison too?
And even I don’t drink that much coffee, why more caffeine is a bonus too?
Personally prefer the fruity smooth taste than harsh Woody taste, I guess I’m team arabica as Kona coffee and Blue mountain coffee.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11305 posts
1573 upvotes
Toronto
MonctonMan wrote:
Adult minimum wage in Australia is C$18 an hour! Just saying.
You left out the price of a cup of coffee there vs here. Just saying...