• Last Updated:
  • Dec 6th, 2017 8:28 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4928 posts
773 upvotes
rachelrx wrote:
Oct 28th, 2017 12:25 pm
I am never a fan of any fast food chain, especially burgers! Only liked Timis breakfast and Mac breakfast before, not a coffee drinker either.
But A&W surprised me with their sweet potato fries and root beer once. This morning I am surprised with their coffee, exactly like what ppl said here, it’s smooth and I love it!
Someone mentioned their burgers are tasteless, I had to mention that they use 100% local farmers products. I don’t eat burger, haven’t eat a Mac burger like in years, but if I had to grab a meal, I’d rather go to A&W.
Cons: A&W uses burgers bread for their breaki and I’m not a big fan of that. I think if A&W can improve their breakfast bun to English muffin, biscuits or crossiant, even just toasted bread are better than what they r serving now!
Yes, their Van Houtte coffee is good. Just have to make sure one goes to a busy location so everything is fresher. My local A&W is a 24/7 one that's fairly busy.

I like sweet potato fries in general, but A&W's are not as fresh as their regular fries. They are frozen and when I've gotten them, they weren't fried long enough to even be hot.
Jun 2, 2012
7 posts
5 upvotes
NORTH YORK
I recently had the misfortune of ordering a coffee at an A&W drive through attached to a gas station. The coffee was unfortunately not the organic Van Houtte coffee I expected but the exceptionally awful gas station coffee served by the gas station store/mini food mart.

I paid at the window before I noticed the little decal on the window indicating that they proudly brew/serve whatever off brand coffee it was and knew that was $2 bucks I had just wasted.

Tried a sip, and it really was exceptionally awful.

So ask what coffee the location brews if at a gas station A&W drive through.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11305 posts
1573 upvotes
Toronto
I was wondering why A&W & Countrystyle are together in the same booth in the food court near Bloor Subway station.
Now I know.
While A&W is NOT owned by MTY group, MTY is the proud owner of https://cafevanhoutte.com/en/ as well as Countrystyle, and that is where A&W is getting their coffee from.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11305 posts
1573 upvotes
Toronto
gemenichic wrote:
Nov 20th, 2017 5:52 pm
So ask what coffee the location brews if at a gas station A&W drive through.
The Petro Canada Super Stop locations may have a contractual obligation to only sell Javastop coffee (or whatever that stuff is!)
If you see a "Javastop" sign on the outside next to the A&W sign, there's your warning that it's the gas station brand and not the brand A&W normally uses.
Sample of Petro Canada Super Stop with Javastop sign: https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Eglint ... 79.4084724
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
1202 posts
277 upvotes
I'm gonna give it another try this week, but I don't believe there is a better tasting cup of black coffee served at a fast food chain than Wendy's.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11305 posts
1573 upvotes
Toronto
Mr_Fanta wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2017 5:19 pm
I'm gonna give it another try this week, but I don't believe there is a better tasting cup of black coffee served at a fast food chain than Wendy's.
As I've mentioned above, Countrystyle and A&W are using the same coffee. Both Van Houette
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
1202 posts
277 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Nov 24th, 2017 12:38 am
As I've mentioned above, Countrystyle and A&W are using the same coffee. Both Van Houette
Well, what kind of coffee is Wendy's using because that is fast food black coffee I find superior to everywhere else? Definitely better than A&W and McD's by far.
Feb 15, 2007
728 posts
46 upvotes
Pickering
Mr_Fanta wrote:
Nov 25th, 2017 1:16 pm
Well, what kind of coffee is Wendy's using because that is fast food black coffee I find superior to everywhere else? Definitely better than A&W and McD's by far.
Still trying to figure out what the infatuation is around here with McD's coffee. Granted it is a lot better than it used to be where it tasted like it was filtered through old gym socks, but it still is crap.

And yes I drink my coffee black, so there is nothing to hide it behind.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11305 posts
1573 upvotes
Toronto
Mr_Fanta wrote:
Nov 25th, 2017 1:16 pm
Interesting question. It is to my understanding that they had some sort of plan to attack Tim Horton's with some actual Red head roasters Cafes here in Toronto, but that never happened.
What DID seem to happen is their own brand of coffee, unless they really are using someone else's coffee and putting their own sticker on the bag (or cup) and being really quiet about it...

But back to A&W, TH & McDonald's still end up being the go to for people with cars because of the drive through.
Oct 23, 2017
56 posts
12 upvotes
Burlington ON
ilove wrote:
Mar 12th, 2017 6:18 pm
So I tried A&W coffee for the first time. My oh my, it's miles better than anything else at other chains. So I searched it up and they've been serving Van Houtte organic fair-trade 100% Arabica blend made exclusively for A&W. No wonder why it tastes so good. I'm a believer now.
I will try them out. . .

Have you tried Panera's? I don't have one of the Canadian locations close by but when travelling in the US, I love that coffee. They seem to have good quality control with the thermoses showing the brew time.