Shopping Discussion

w00t! A Boxing Day Deal that was actually worth it!

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 29th, 2005 5:34 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 13, 2004
153 posts
9 upvotes
Windsor, ON

w00t! A Boxing Day Deal that was actually worth it!

While doing some normal shopping this afternoon here in Peterborough, I headed to the local kickarse independent record shop, Bluestreak Records, wanting to buy The Violet Archers' newest album called "The End of Part One."

(more info on The Violet Archers here: http://www.thevioletarchers.com/)

Lo and behold, Bluestreak was having a 20% off EVERYTHING in the store for Boxing Day Monday and Tuesday! So, this album, regularly $20 before tax, I got for about $18 tax included.

Pretty awesome deal in itself, however...

A few weeks ago, I had done a special order at Bluestreak for Victoria, BC band Immaculate Machine's newest album "Ones and Zeros."

(more info about this awesome band here: http://www.immaculatemachine.com/)

While paying for that Violet Archers CD, I was chatting with the owner about how good "Ones and Zeros" was, when he remembered that the Machine's record company, Mint Records, had thrown in a promo disc with the shipment for the store and knowing I liked Mint Records stuff, he just gave it to me.

So, to sum up, I got two discs chock full of Canadian indie goodness for $18, and supported an awesome local business.

Win-win situation.
17 replies
Banned
Oct 28, 2005
181 posts
Inferno69 wrote:this is a joke, right?
I am not laughings
is anyones laughings
if is joke is not funnys
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2005
2008 posts
2 upvotes
As always, there's something for everyone.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
9125 posts
259 upvotes
$2 saved on first album and got another for free?

Man post it on HoFo, I'm sure they'd all be jealous of you :lol: :lol:
[OP]
Jan 13, 2004
153 posts
9 upvotes
Windsor, ON
B0000rt wrote:$2 saved on first album and got another for free?

Man post it on HoFo, I'm sure they'd all be jealous of you :lol: :lol:
:lol: While from the outset it doesn't appear to be THAT great a deal, if you think about it, it's not that often that you can get a good price on music that isn't-so-mainstream.

*shrug*
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
9125 posts
259 upvotes
hailing wrote: :lol: While from the outset it doesn't appear to be THAT great a deal, if you think about it, it's not that often that you can get a good price on music that isn't-so-mainstream.

*shrug*
Guy came into the Pharmacy last Saturday (Christmas Eve), looked at our prices for wrapping paper, $5.99 said "holy crap thats expensive, how about I give you $3 for it?", told him to ask the manager, and the manager ok'd it, so I rang it up. 50% discount just for asking eh? :lol: :lol:
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2003
6274 posts
66 upvotes
Etobicoke
The OP did a lot more for Canadian indie music & small business than someone throwing $10,000 to FutureScum or BB buying home theatre equipment.
Aug 20, 2003
183 posts
5 upvotes
Hamilton
It beats that pile of dog poo I got for free on Boxing Day. I didn't have to scoop though, so I saved something on that...
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2005
7399 posts
121 upvotes
Ottawa
Wow. Some of you really need your posting priviledges revoked.
[OP]
Jan 13, 2004
153 posts
9 upvotes
Windsor, ON
eelfliw wrote:The OP did a lot more for Canadian indie music & small business than someone throwing $10,000 to FutureScum or BB buying home theatre equipment.
Exactly the point I was trying to get at. I enjoy deals from Future Shop as much as the next RFDer (cheap blank DVD/CDs rock!) but sometimes I feel that we on RFD forget to support small business too.

You'd be surprised the gems and good deals you can get by supporting a small business.
Banned
Dec 12, 2005
9328 posts
804 upvotes
hailing wrote:but sometimes I feel that we on RFD forget to support small business too.
Okay, I'll be going down to my local Dollar Store tonight, and I'll be sure to post a new thread about the wild deals I got on cheap batteries, packing supplies, and remainder children's books.