Tags:
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2059 posts
348 upvotes
Toronto
CNeufeld wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 5:49 pm
In counterpoint, I'd be willing to bet that any decision to make significant payroll deductions like this would have to be signed off by a manager-level employee. The OP lost their last paycheck AS WELL AS another 3 figure amount, so we're probably talking about several thousand dollars.
OP didn't "lose" any money. You can't lose money that isn't yours to begin with. OP is rationalizing that since his ex-employer was willing to under-bill their clients, they should not try to collect from OP's overpayment. As I've said before, you and other members as well, if he really want to fight this out, just wait for them to issue an official collections letter. It's pointless asking for opinions on what's legal/ethical if he only wants to hear what he believes in due to confirmation bias.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4893 posts
2428 upvotes
Edmonton
blitzforce wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 6:12 pm
OP didn't "lose" any money. You can't lose money that isn't yours to begin with. OP is rationalizing that since his ex-employer was willing to under-bill their clients, they should not try to collect from OP's overpayment. As I've said before, you and other members as well, if he really want to fight this out, just wait for them to issue an official collections letter. It's pointless asking for opinions on what's legal/ethical if he only wants to hear what he believes in due to confirmation bias.
Nice work to avoid the point I was making; that your assumption that it was a junior HR/payroll clerk who made the call to illegally deduct ANYTHING from the OP's paycheck. Even if the company is legally entitled to collect that money, they're NOT entitled to do it with a payroll deduction like that. And the decision to do that was not an innocent mistake by a junior staff member.

C
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2059 posts
348 upvotes
Toronto
CNeufeld wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 6:42 pm
Nice work to avoid the point I was making; that your assumption that it was a junior HR/payroll clerk who made the call to illegally deduct ANYTHING from the OP's paycheck. Even if the company is legally entitled to collect that money, they're NOT entitled to do it with a payroll deduction like that. And the decision to do that was not an innocent mistake by a junior staff member.

C
Then fight it out. Why talk about high turnover and underbilling their clients at all if the main point is them deducting from his pay?

His original question should be if he can legally not pay back his employer if he was indeed overpaid to begin with, and remove the rest of his rationale.