Hot Deals

[WAGJAG] $135 for 1,500 litres 10 Cents Esso Fuel Savings Card AND $10 Esso Gift Card

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 13th, 2017 8:33 am
[OP]
Apr 21, 2010
14 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto

[WAGJAG] $135 for 1,500 litres 10 Cents Esso Fuel Savings Card AND $10 Esso Gift Card

Deal Link:
Price:
$135
Savings:
16%
Hi Guys, first post here please be gentle. Wagjag is having a promotion on ESSO fuel savings card. Basically you pay $135 for one 1,500 litres 10 cents fuel savings card and one $10 Esso gift card. The fuel savings card does not expire however, the bonus $10 Esso gift card expires on Jan 31, 2018.

Offer Details

• E-cards will be emailed to you within 15 business days of purchase
• Unlimited buys
• Only one PRICE PRIVILEGES Card can be used per transaction and cannot be combined with any fuel savings coupons.
• PRICE PRIVILEGES Card does not expire
• **ADDITIONAL BENEFIT : digital cards can now be used at pump when onboarded into Esso's Speedpass+ mobile app**
• Bonus $10 Esso Gift Card expires January 31, 2018
• Not valid with other offers
• No additional charges. No cash value. No cash back
66 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2002
18942 posts
770 upvotes
I prefer free fuel savings cards from the other deals ...

Actually, I don't think this is a good deal ... I need to pay $0.083 per litre ($125 /1500) to save $0.10 per litre ....
Last edited by willy on Nov 6th, 2017 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2008
1058 posts
356 upvotes
Laval
Not trashing or promoting the deal

Would take 37-38 fillups (40L fillups) to reach that 1500L in other words 37-38 fillups to save 25$
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
4215 posts
2070 upvotes
Kitchener
....or you can save 85% on fuel costs by switching to an electric car. Honestly, I drive 25,000km/year and we're buying our second EV now (the Ontario $14k incentive is a large factor but even without it you'd save money), you'll never regret switching. I spend less than $500 per year on Ontario hydro to run my EV. My car (Leaf) ends up being free when factoring in 7 years of fuel savings - I'm half way there already.

Anyone who lives in Ontario, Quebec or B.C. who doesn't do the math on EV ownership is doing themselves (and their wallets) a disservice.

I got tired of the games the fuel companies play with their pricing, it's not like the average person doesn't have the option to give them the middle finger. I have a friend who doesn't even have a place to plug in at his apartment, fully dependent on public charging who has spent $41 to drive 38,000km in 6 months of owning his Bolt (he's obviously a bit crazy, but he's proof that it can be done even without access to a plug at home by buying a long range EV like the Bolt).
Last edited by IntrepidRT on Nov 6th, 2017 12:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aug 27, 2012
194 posts
102 upvotes
Calgary
This must be one of the worst ‘deals’ ever. More of a scam really. Don’t fall for it. All you’re really getting is $0.0166(6) off a litre, yes a penny and a half off for paying $135 up front and that’s if you use all 1500 litres and a GC. This shouldn’t even be on this forum let alone be considered a hot deal.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2014
1995 posts
1395 upvotes
Mordor
IntrepidRT wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 12:20 pm
....or you can save 85% on fuel costs by switching to an electric car. Honestly, I drive 25,000km/year and we're buying our second EV now (the Ontario $14k incentive is a large factor but even without it you'd save money), you'll never regret switching. I spend less than $500 per year on Ontario hydro to run my EV. My car (Leaf) ends up being free when factoring in 7 years of fuel savings - I'm half way there already.

Anyone who lives in Ontario, Quebec or B.C. who doesn't do the math on EV ownership is doing themselves (and their wallets) a disservice.

I got tired of the games the fuel companies play with their pricing, it's not like the average person doesn't have the option to give them the middle finger. I have a friend who doesn't even have a place to plug in at his apartment, fully dependent on public charging who has spent $41 to drive 38,000km in 6 months of owning his Bolt (he's obviously a bit crazy, but he's proof that it can be done even without access to a plug at home by buying a long range EV like the Bolt).
You need to change your alias ....
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
4215 posts
2070 upvotes
Kitchener
ShadowMordor wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 12:34 pm
You need to change your alias ....
Yeah, I know........my Intrepid R/T just sits in the garage for the past 3-1/2 years since I got my Leaf. Can't really afford to drive it. Couldn't afford to drive my Civic either, so that's why I sold it. I have much higher priorities for my money than paying for gasoline.

I'm just trying to help the average public realize how much money can be saved on vehicles. Probably nobody more accepting of this than the people on RFD.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2010
1036 posts
364 upvotes
GTA
The point of paying a lot upfront for a discount card is not very appealing, I stumbled on this deal myself on WagJag's homepage this morning.

However with that said, thanks OP for trying to help. I gave you a thumbs up anyway for trying :)
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
4215 posts
2070 upvotes
Kitchener
Buying Canadian Tire gift cards at 10% discount (using a 2% cashback credit card) and then using the gift cards towards fuel (combined with CT multiplier coupons) is generally a better "deal" (I did this for years), but still terrible when the EV option is out there.

Dismissing EVs because you have pre-conceived notions (or you're a "car guy") is a HUGE mistake. They're better overall cars with a ton of torque and the fuel savings are awesome. This is coming from a "car guy" who only cared about power and didn't give a crap about fuel economy in the early 2000's. Now I spend my spring, summer & fall at car shows educating the public on how EV's are just better (with no benefit to myself other than cleaner air). Lots and lots of ignorance out there.
Apr 23, 2014
748 posts
113 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
pauliaK wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 12:32 pm
This must be one of the worst ‘deals’ ever. More of a scam really. Don’t fall for it. All you’re really getting is $0.0166(6) off a litre, yes a penny and a half off for paying $135 up front and that’s if you use all 1500 litres and a GC. This shouldn’t even be on this forum let alone be considered a hot deal.
you can use the 10 dollar gift certificate to buy gas right away so the real cost is 125.00 dollars for 150 dollars worth of discount. assuming an average of 8L / 100 km, you'd have to drive 18750 km to use up the 1500 litres. (18750/100*8 = 1500)..do the math. for some people that is 1 year of driving , for others it is 2 years driving, but there is no expiry on the card so you can use it for as long as it takes to consume 1500 litres. and there is also the option to sell the unexpired portion at cost if you don't need the card.
Nov 26, 2015
453 posts
200 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
As a comparison, you can buy the $50 fuel savings card that saves 2.5 cents per liter from perkopolis for the price of shipping $2.

You have to be perkopolis member but even at this price ($2) I don't even get it since it takes forever to drain 1 card. You are also restricted to just Esso pumping.
[OP]
Apr 21, 2010
14 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
pauliaK wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 12:32 pm
Thanks for the reply. This might not be a good deal for everyone. But for the people use ESSO a lot, I don't see where the 'worst' comes from. You get 16% savings from Wagjag plus 4.5% rebates from GCR. The savings card does not expire, so as long as you still drive a car and you use ESSO to fill gas, you have the savings.
Apr 23, 2014
748 posts
113 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
Etabol wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 1:39 pm
As a comparison, you can buy the $50 fuel savings card that saves 2.5 cents per liter from perkopolis for the price of shipping $2.

You have to be perkopolis member but even at this price ($2) I don't even get it since it takes forever to drain 1 card. You are also restricted to just Esso pumping.
u don't have forever tho, expires in a year, the wag jag card doesn't expire. so you will get back the money paid plus the discount.
Aug 27, 2012
194 posts
102 upvotes
Calgary
zhige50 wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 1:55 pm
Thanks for the reply. This might not be a good deal for everyone. But for the people use ESSO a lot, I don't see where the 'worst' comes from. You get 16% savings from Wagjag plus 4.5% rebates from GCR. The savings card does not expire, so as long as you still drive a car and you use ESSO to fill gas, you have the savings.
I am just having a problem with the whole idea of prepaying $125 for a discount that is a mere $0.0167 off a litre. This is a horrible deal at its face value.

Average gas price in Canada today is $1.224 according to gas buddy. So if you’re saving $0.017 that’s 1.36% off. If you add that 4.5% from GCR then you get $0.0207 off a litre or 1.69% off.

Title for this thread should read something like “prepay $125 for 1.36-1.69% off you gas”. Doesn’t sound all that hot, does it?

16% is just a gimmicky number to make it sound something worthwhile while it’s ~1.6% savings over a looong period of tine in reality.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2003
2354 posts
820 upvotes
pauliaK wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 5:33 pm
I am just having a problem with the whole idea of prepaying $125 for a discount that is a mere $0.0167 off a litre. This is a horrible deal at its face value.

Average gas price in Canada today is $1.224 according to gas buddy. So if you’re saving $0.017 that’s 1.36% off. If you add that 4.5% from GCR then you get $0.0207 off a litre or 1.69% off.

Title for this thread should read something like “prepay $125 for 1.36-1.69% off you gas”. Doesn’t sound all that hot, does it?

16% is just a gimmicky number to make it sound something worthwhile while it’s ~1.6% savings over a looong period of tine in reality.
Are you using some sort of theoretical math here? I can't seem to get my head wrapped around it.
Loose lips sink ships.