Hot Deals

[WAGJAG] $135 for 1,500 litres 10 Cents Esso Fuel Savings Card AND $10 Esso Gift Card

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 13th, 2017 8:33 am
Jul 8, 2008
293 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto
Its a bad deal OP especially considering how long you would need to drive to realize the full savings. However, I will not downvote your thread since you did probably posted with your best intentions.
Nov 26, 2015
450 posts
200 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
Penrose wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 1:58 pm
u don't have forever tho, expires in a year, the wag jag card doesn't expire. so you will get back the money paid plus the discount.
The perkopolis card expires 1 year from the day you activate it. So I can buy 2 and use 1 this year and activate the other one next year. It only takes me 2 pumps to make back my cost of $2 for each card. After that it is 2.5 cents saving on every pump there after.

I made the mistake of buying these fuel saving cards (at a premium) and end of selling them for a lost. RFD disects a deal to educate those not to waste money.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2004
4132 posts
269 upvotes
Toronto
IntrepidRT wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 12:20 pm
....or you can save 85% on fuel costs by switching to an electric car. Honestly, I drive 25,000km/year and we're buying our second EV now (the Ontario $14k incentive is a large factor but even without it you'd save money), you'll never regret switching. I spend less than $500 per year on Ontario hydro to run my EV. My car (Leaf) ends up being free when factoring in 7 years of fuel savings - I'm half way there already.

Anyone who lives in Ontario, Quebec or B.C. who doesn't do the math on EV ownership is doing themselves (and their wallets) a disservice.

I got tired of the games the fuel companies play with their pricing, it's not like the average person doesn't have the option to give them the middle finger. I have a friend who doesn't even have a place to plug in at his apartment, fully dependent on public charging who has spent $41 to drive 38,000km in 6 months of owning his Bolt (he's obviously a bit crazy, but he's proof that it can be done even without access to a plug at home by buying a long range EV like the Bolt).
whats the best bang for the buck right now for a 4 door?

I would be ready to buy if they have some cuvs available... Volvo XC60 or 90 T8 looks good, except the 30km EV range...
Apr 23, 2014
747 posts
113 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
pauliaK wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 5:33 pm
I am just having a problem with the whole idea of prepaying $125 for a discount that is a mere $0.0167 off a litre. This is a horrible deal at its face value.

Average gas price in Canada today is $1.224 according to gas buddy. So if you’re saving $0.017 that’s 1.36% off. If you add that 4.5% from GCR then you get $0.0207 off a litre or 1.69% off.

Title for this thread should read something like “prepay $125 for 1.36-1.69% off you gas”. Doesn’t sound all that hot, does it?
16% is just a gimmicky number to make it sound something worthwhile while it’s ~1.6% savings over a looong period of tine in reality.
your comparing the savings on the discount portion to the entire cost of a full litre of gas, when you should be comparing that 1.67 cents to only the discount portion which is 10 cents making it 16.7% based on your investment. This purchase is not for gas, it is for a discount on gas. total discount on 1500 L is $150. total cost is $125 with no expiry on the discount.
Mar 9, 2012
832 posts
257 upvotes
KITCHENER
Who here remembers the Petro Canada ebates deal? It was $450 for 5 $100 cards (so I got two of them) plus 20% ebates. That was crazy...I didn't expect ebates to go through, but it came...that was awesome. So basically it worked out to $720 for $1000 worth of gas.

I remember when the deals were so much better... Disappointed But Relieved Face
Jan 28, 2007
258 posts
144 upvotes
South-Western, Ontar…
I bought an Esso discount card similar to this a few years back thinking it was a pretty good deal ... I just finally used it up this summer ... I think I actually lost money it took so long to use up ... never buying these again.

But thanks OP
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
4213 posts
2070 upvotes
Kitchener
greg123 wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 8:22 pm
whats the best bang for the buck right now for a 4 door?

I would be ready to buy if they have some cuvs available... Volvo XC60 or 90 T8 looks good, except the 30km EV range...
Nissan Leaf, Hyundai Ioniq or Chevy Bolt, also the VW eGolf. Really depends on how much & how far you drive. If you drive 50,000km per year, the Bolt is the obvious choice. But the other two are perfectly fine for 25,000km per year driving with a few 400km one way trips mixed in. Pricing is less than $30k on the road for the Leaf & Ioniq, the Bolt LT is $38k on the road (you're paying the extra money for a bigger battery, but a smaller car). The Nissan Leaf is a mid-sized vehicle, but anything larger is quite expensive right now and are PHEV's (not a great compromise). If you NEED range and are scared of running out of battery, the Chevy Volt is a better choice than basically every single compact car on the market in Ontario. If you don't NEED the gas though, the Leaf, Ioniq and Bolt are better choices than the Volt because you don't have to pay for and lug around an engine you'll never want to use. Important to note that a Chevy Volt is an EREV "Extended Range Electric Vehicle", not a PHEV "Plugin Hybrid Electric Vehicle". No transmission in a Volt and the wheels are ALWAYS driven by electric power.

Basically there are a bunch of different acronyms. BEV (Battery Electric Vehicle) > EREV (Extended Range Electric Vehicle) > PHEV (Plugin Hybrid Electric Vehicle) > Hybrid Vehicle > Gas Vehicle

It's 2017, PHEV's with <30km of range have absolutely no business being on the market. They're only around so that buyers can collect an incentive on basically a gas car with an insufficient battery and motor.
Apr 23, 2014
747 posts
113 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
jeff1970 wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 9:29 pm
I remember when the deals were so much better... Disappointed But Relieved Face
I agree they could have been more generous with this deal. the true discount your getting is only 250 litres at 10 cents discount/L. and for that you have to pay the first 1250 Litres @ 10 cents/ L. essentially your pre paying for this discount. I think it could make a great gift. every time they fill up they will think of you as they use the card. or a nice way to introduce your kids to the idea of paying for gas by giving them this incentive card. or if your selling your car you could offer this as a nice perk, Also it does help to take the sting out of paying full price at the pump. At any rate, there is no loss here but it should have been more generous deal.
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2005
1704 posts
81 upvotes
Southern ontario
Just fill up at costco at 10-12c off a L. our costco price in guelph is 112.9 vs 123.9 in some stations.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
4213 posts
2070 upvotes
Kitchener
x95zsk wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 12:41 pm
Just fill up at costco at 10-12c off a L. our costco price in guelph is 112.9 vs 123.9 in some stations.
Lining up for 30 minutes to save $0.10/litre at the Guelph Costco is just an amazing experience. Really glad I don't have to do that. Yes, I've done it before in my wife's 'RFD' Sonata Hybrid, really really sucks. We're currently shopping for a much more fuel efficient vehicle than the 5.0L/100km Sonata considering my Leaf is around 1.3L/100km equivalent cost, we try not to drive the hybrid more than we absolutely have to (explains the 84,000km driven on my 2015 electric car without even having a L3 charge port).
May 27, 2004
942 posts
169 upvotes
OP Thanks for posting the deal. It has generated good discussion.

Even with TopCashBack's 7% back on Wagjag purchases I cannot justify this deal.
Had it been $1 off 150L, an argument could be made FOR the deal.
But at $0.10 off 1500L, that is a really difficult purchase to justify.

We are essentially guaranteeing Imperial Oil we will purchase 1500 litres of fuel from them - at a reduced margin - so, in reality, there is little financial impact to them.

All these integrated oil companies are garbage anyways, Oil is $60 a barrel right now - and back 10 years ago when it cracked $60 they used that to justify higher gas prices - which at the time meant $0.75/litre.
Now it's $1.20/litre here in Toronto with no signs of gas prices ever coming back down - even though oil prices are back down to where they were 10 years ago.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
7101 posts
427 upvotes
Toronto
IntrepidRT wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 1:10 pm
Lining up for 30 minutes to save $0.10/litre at the Guelph Costco is just an amazing experience. Really glad I don't have to do that. Yes, I've done it before in my wife's 'RFD' Sonata Hybrid, really really sucks. We're currently shopping for a much more fuel efficient vehicle than the 5.0L/100km Sonata considering my Leaf is around 1.3L/100km equivalent cost, we try not to drive the hybrid more than we absolutely have to (explains the 84,000km driven on my 2015 electric car without even having a L3 charge port).
Like half the posts in this poor deal thread are about you bragging about your EV. They aren't right for everyone, especially condo dwellers and those of us who use our cars for longer distance commutes or to see customers.

Are you just going to jump in any petrol thread and derail it with your buy an EV right now kuz blah blah blah?

I like EV cars but you posted like 8 times basically the same rhetoric that buying gas doesn't make sense anymore.
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
4213 posts
2070 upvotes
Kitchener
GangStarr wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 2:12 pm
Like half the posts in this poor deal thread are about you bragging about your EV. They aren't right for everyone, especially condo dwellers and those of us who use our cars for longer distance commutes or to see customers.

Are you just going to jump in any petrol thread and derail it with your buy an EV right now kuz blah blah blah?

I like EV cars but you posted like 8 times basically the same rhetoric that buying gas doesn't make sense anymore.
Untrue about the not working for condo dwellers and long distance drivers (have to buy the RIGHT vehicle if you have these circumstances), I know two people right now who don't have plugs at home who have ditched gasoline. Anyways, my Canadian Tire gas deal I posted in this thread is MUCH better and more helpful than anything anyone else has posted here, 15% off minimum using the 10% off gift cards combined with multiplier coupons method. I'm just trying to save people 85% instead of a lousy 15%. Amazing the people on RFD who don't actually want to save money. $3000 per year savings isn't exactly chump change.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2010
1667 posts
304 upvotes
Toronto
With gas being $1.25/l and using this fuel savings card to get $0.10 off per liter, which makes the gas $1.15/l

So this card is good for 1500 liters, this deal guarantees you’ll spend $1725 at Esso, and does this card have an expiry date?

Forgot that $135 was paid for the discount card
1500l x $0.10/l = $150
Paid $135, so in reality you only saved $15
$150-$135=$15

So esso is using $15 to guarantee an income for them of $1860 if gas was to be constant at $1.25/l
1500l x ($1.25/l - $0.10/l) + $135 = $1860

Forgot to say that you don’t save anything until after you’ve filled 1350 liters
1350l x $0.10/l = $135 the cost of the initial purchase

Also the savings is not 16%, it is $15 savings after spending $1860, which is less than 1%
Last edited by Shu on Nov 9th, 2017 3:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Zoomer Wireless [on Rogers Network] $36 - 400 Canada Wide Minutes + 2GB LTE data
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2010
1667 posts
304 upvotes
Toronto
sidde0 wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 7:26 pm
Its a bad deal OP especially considering how long you would need to drive to realize the full savings. However, I will not downvote your thread since you did probably posted with your best intentions.
I would downvote the op as this is an incredibly bad deal
Zoomer Wireless [on Rogers Network] $36 - 400 Canada Wide Minutes + 2GB LTE data