Hot Deals

[WAGJAG] $135 for 1,500 litres 10 Cents Esso Fuel Savings Card AND $10 Esso Gift Card

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 13th, 2017 8:33 am
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2005
1814 posts
112 upvotes
Scarborough
That would be great but not everyone has a house where they can plug their EV into an outlet easily. For me it just costs $5k to get an outlet installed in my condo parking spot with a meter.
IntrepidRT wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 12:20 pm
....or you can save 85% on fuel costs by switching to an electric car. Honestly, I drive 25,000km/year and we're buying our second EV now (the Ontario $14k incentive is a large factor but even without it you'd save money), you'll never regret switching. I spend less than $500 per year on Ontario hydro to run my EV. My car (Leaf) ends up being free when factoring in 7 years of fuel savings - I'm half way there already.

Anyone who lives in Ontario, Quebec or B.C. who doesn't do the math on EV ownership is doing themselves (and their wallets) a disservice.

I got tired of the games the fuel companies play with their pricing, it's not like the average person doesn't have the option to give them the middle finger. I have a friend who doesn't even have a place to plug in at his apartment, fully dependent on public charging who has spent $41 to drive 38,000km in 6 months of owning his Bolt (he's obviously a bit crazy, but he's proof that it can be done even without access to a plug at home by buying a long range EV like the Bolt).
Jul 24, 2017
15 posts
4 upvotes
IntrepidRT wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 11:11 am
Either spend a lot of money on a brand new car which ALSO requires virtually no maintenance or spend a lot of money on gasoline and maintenance on a used car and be behind after less than 5 years. Used EV's (in Ontario at least) are generally terrible deals as well unless you import from the USA.
That's case by case for exact return on investment time, but my point remains; EV is expensive and not an investment (vs. a gas car because a car is (almost) never an investment) unless you plan on keeping the car for a long period of time.

If ROI is 5 years and after 4 years you buy a new one, yes you saved on gas, but you're still poorer. I'd be curious to see the average time people keep a car.

Also, neglecting the long term reliability of the EV's and batteries lifespan.

Disclaimer : I'm not trying to bash EV's. They might be great for some cases, but currently, IMO, not a investment in most cases.
Apr 23, 2014
747 posts
113 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
Shu wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 3:49 am
.....does that mean I can sell the unused card for $150?
it is worth 150.00 in discounts on gas, ( at a rate of 10Cents / Litre ) what you sell it for however is whatever someone is willing to pay for it. you paid 125.00 for it, so selling it at cost would result in zero loss and at the same time offer an incentive for someone to purchase it.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2005
3827 posts
518 upvotes
Markham
Better off leaving money in a savings account until you use it and it will have a better ROI. These gas discount deals based on litres purchased have reached a new low
Dell Ultrasharp U2412M 24" IPS 1920x1200 $150
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2010
1667 posts
304 upvotes
Toronto
Penrose wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 11:32 am
it is worth 150.00 in discounts on gas, ( at a rate of 10Cents / Litre ) what you sell it for however is whatever someone is willing to pay for it. you paid 125.00 for it, so selling it at cost would result in zero loss and at the same time offer an incentive for someone to purchase it.
So this is a bad deal
Zoomer Wireless [on Rogers Network] $36 - 400 Canada Wide Minutes + 2GB LTE data
Jun 8, 2008
479 posts
77 upvotes
Shu wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 10:41 am
So your saving $25, but is you total spending actually only $150?

Total spending is after the 1500 liters purchased, if you don’t purchase this gas done you’ve already lost $150, so what your saving should be $25/(1500l*$1.xx/l+$135)

With calculations likes that, the shoppers drug mart deal looks better if it is really 8%, what is the shoppers deal?
So, here's the gist, this is a direct savings on per litre consumption. My scenario is as follows, yours might be different / you drive a electric/ hybrid... I drive a Civic and I know my rough annual consumption as a weekly refill, I drive a Civic, and it has a 50L capacity. It's not absurd for me to fill up 30L a week, so 30 * 52 (# of wks in a year) = 1,560 Liters consumed over a year. For me to experience a 8% on anything, is miraculous bar insider trading, illicit drugs, money laundering, gambling... you get the idea, plus this return isn't taxed. So, with the Shoppers Drug Mart promotion, they give 8000 points for every $200 of gift cards purchased, upto 24,000 so buying $600 worth of giftcards, this is a limited time promotion. I figure if I'm going to be spending $1560+ on gas a year, why not just buy the giftcards now, and use them as I normally do, I get the added incentive of $8 back in Optimum points (worth more on special redemption days). There's an argument to be made that I shouldn't include my creditcard points / % back or my Esso points, because I am indifferent. So my actual return is slightly higher, 10% but I don't include it as a I want to display how this is worthwhile. The banks pay 2.5% if you're lucky, stable dividend stocks 5% assuming in a TFSA not to mention volatility, I can obtain a 8%+ return with simply timing my cash flow to giftcards during these annual promotions. The only downside is covering the entire 1,500 budget with giftcards from Shoppers, because I maximize at $600, I would need 3 other SDM cards to truly take advantage of this deal. To all the haters keep drinking that gatorade.
Apr 23, 2014
747 posts
113 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
Shu wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 12:41 pm
So this is a bad deal
if they made the card expire in a year then yes I'd say it could be bad because it wouldn't give enuff time to make full use of the discount. Fortunately it doesn't have a time limit and you can enjoy the full benefit at your leisure. If Esso is my usual place to fill up, they are giving me 25.00 dollars to just keep doing what I am going to do regardless. so why not take the free money? It is a little bit like joining a club, you pay your dues up front and then enjoy the club benefits for a period of time. this one is called the "price privilege" club. As I said in an earlier post it could have been a better discount, but is it bad? IMHO I don't think so because there is no loss and your getting free money...how good is that?
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2010
1667 posts
304 upvotes
Toronto
Penrose wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 5:40 pm
if they made the card expire in a year then yes I'd say it could be bad because it wouldn't give enuff time to make full use of the discount. Fortunately it doesn't have a time limit and you can enjoy the full benefit at your leisure. If Esso is my usual place to fill up, they are giving me 25.00 dollars to just keep doing what I am going to do regardless. so why not take the free money? It is a little bit like joining a club, you pay your dues up front and then enjoy the club benefits for a period of time. this one is called the "price privilege" club. As I said in an earlier post it could have been a better discount, but is it bad? IMHO I don't think so because there is no loss and your getting free money...how good is that?
It’s bad because Esso seems to be more expensive than the other surrounding gas stations near me
Zoomer Wireless [on Rogers Network] $36 - 400 Canada Wide Minutes + 2GB LTE data
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
2269 posts
383 upvotes
Vancouver
Unless things has changed....

When I had the fuel savings card last time, I would go in and prepay to accelerate usage of savings card.

Say gas is $1.50 a liter. I would prepay $100. The system would automatically deduct the 10 cents/liter savings = $6.60. I ended only filling $45 (30 liters). My net cost is $38.40.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2005
1111 posts
124 upvotes
pauliaK wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 12:32 pm
This must be one of the worst ‘deals’ ever. More of a scam really. Don’t fall for it. All you’re really getting is $0.0166(6) off a litre, yes a penny and a half off for paying $135 up front and that’s if you use all 1500 litres and a GC. This shouldn’t even be on this forum let alone be considered a hot deal.
pauliaK wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 5:33 pm
I am just having a problem with the whole idea of prepaying $125 for a discount that is a mere $0.0167 off a litre. This is a horrible deal at its face value.

Average gas price in Canada today is $1.224 according to gas buddy. So if you’re saving $0.017 that’s 1.36% off. If you add that 4.5% from GCR then you get $0.0207 off a litre or 1.69% off.

Title for this thread should read something like “prepay $125 for 1.36-1.69% off you gas”. Doesn’t sound all that hot, does it?

16% is just a gimmicky number to make it sound something worthwhile while it’s ~1.6% savings over a looong period of tine in reality.
Listen to these guys! They speak the truth. This 1.36 -1.69% savings is only realized after the 1500L is consumed, which takes almost a year for most people. Therefore, title may even say " “prepay $125, wait for about a year, and then realize fuel savings of 1.36-1.69% off your gas".

This deal is truly a scam fooling people who thinks it is 16% off.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2010
1667 posts
304 upvotes
Toronto
yvrwindsor wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 2:43 am
Unless things has changed....

When I had the fuel savings card last time, I would go in and prepay to accelerate usage of savings card.

Say gas is $1.50 a liter. I would prepay $100. The system would automatically deduct the 10 cents/liter savings = $6.60. I ended only filling $45 (30 liters). My net cost is $38.40.
Prepay $100 and only fill $38.40, do you get a refund of the $61.60?
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2010
1667 posts
304 upvotes
Toronto
Meridian wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 3:54 am
Listen to these guys! They speak the truth. This 1.36 -1.69% savings is only realized after the 1500L is consumed, which takes almost a year for most people. Therefore, title may even say " “prepay $125, wait for about a year, and then realize fuel savings of 1.36-1.69% off your gas".

This deal is truly a scam fooling people who thinks it is 16% off.
Correct, 16% off for those that can’t understand the math

Excellent scam, esso investment of $25 to get you to give them $1800+ in the future
72x return on investment for esso, incredibly hot deal for esso
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
2269 posts
383 upvotes
Vancouver
Shu wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 10:26 am
Prepay $100 and only fill $38.40, do you get a refund of the $61.60?
Yes, that is how gas stations I've dealt with work. $100 will be pre-authorize and $38.40 billed.
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
13093 posts
2956 upvotes
Toronto
Wow, this thread had turned into a discussion of the virtues of electric vs has cars. When I have to replace my current cars, electric is on my shopping list. However at the moment, it makes little sense to prematurely replace the cars given that they have lots of life left and have gone through the steep part of the depreciation curve.

I think that the cost advantage of going electric can disappear overnight if the government removes the purchase incentive and replaces the lost tax on gasoline by shifting it to electricity.
Apr 6, 2015
18 posts
2 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
yvrwindsor wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 4:46 am
Yes, that is how gas stations I've dealt with work. $100 will be pre-authorize and $38.40 billed.
Does this always work for you and at multiple locations? Also have you tried this recently? If it does work this would actually be a good buy especially if you use it with the previous post about shoppers drug mart gift card promos or with a cash back cc.