Group Deals

[WAGJAG] $135 for 1,500 litres 10 Cents Esso Fuel Savings Card AND $10 Esso Gift Card

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 4th, 2017 1:33 pm
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
8361 posts
643 upvotes
Toronto
IntrepidRT wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 12:11 pm
With the incentive, a Leaf is a MUCH cheaper car than a Civic, both in purchase price and running costs (and it has a lot more space than a Civic). Without the incentive, the Leaf costs more but over 5 years will STILL cost less. I've got a few months to go until my lease is up @ 96,000km and my '18 Leaf gets here. It's surprisingly easy to rack up 96,000km 160km at a time and with the new one, 300km at a time. Going to be an interesting (but doable) trip going to Wisconsin in the spring with the new Leaf.

Even though there are thousands of public charging stations in Ontario, you won't use them very much. 95%+ of your charging is done at home every night, but the average person doesn't comprehend this too well. You plug the car in every night, just like a cell phone and wake up every morning with a full tank.

My running costs are: $1.60/100km for electricity (Ontario rates) and $10 in maintenance costs so far (cabin air filter - $3, rear wiper blade rubber - $2 & a couple jugs of RainX washer fluid - $2 each), closing in on 90,000km driven. I DID buy a used set of tires as well, not sure if that counts for maintenance costs? The original 2015 battery will EASILY outlast the vehicle considering it's currently at 95% of original capacity and degradation has been shown to be a linear relationship between age & charging cycles.

I have a friend who bought a Chevy Bolt and doesn't have a plug at home (lives in an apartment). He RELIES 100% on public charging. He's spent $37.11 to drive 42,000km last time I talked to him (under $1 per 1,000km). He's a bit crazy though. He does Uber driving on the side to make some extra cash.
I'll stick with the 2017 Civic Hatchback Sport for now. Leaf looks kind of ugly in my opinion. Also like I said, I'll wait for the technology to get better/more advanced before I'd consider buying an EV
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
4334 posts
2132 upvotes
Kitchener
XtremeModder wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 12:50 pm
I'll stick with the 2017 Civic Hatchback Sport for now. Leaf looks kind of ugly in my opinion. Also like I said, I'll wait for the technology to get better/more advanced before I'd consider buying an EV
I personally think that it's a bit bland in the looks department (blue holographic grill is a bit interesting), but the way it drives, the tech & the cost savings that come with this car more than makes up for any shortcomings. Highway 401 self-driving will be pretty nice.