Expired Hot Deals

[Wagjag] $250 for a $50 Price Privilege e-Card (Save $0.10 per Litre for up to 500 Litres) & a $250 e-Gift Card at Esso

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 14th, 2019 8:21 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2016
1855 posts
1238 upvotes
Ottawa
DaVibe wrote:
Nov 15th, 2018 1:42 pm
Been advised that all the cashback on eBates will be clawed back. Please keep us posted.
Been advised by who?
I am a current customer of Public Mobile and Koodo and STACK
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
15505 posts
2489 upvotes
Toronto
cappaj wrote:
Nov 15th, 2018 1:44 pm
Been advised by who?
Great Canadian Rebates, who asked WagJag
RedFlagDeals addict
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2007
3150 posts
353 upvotes
CALGARY
DaVibe wrote:
Nov 15th, 2018 1:42 pm
Been advised that all the cashback on eBates will be clawed back. Please keep us posted.
Did you ask them or they told you?
  • To overcome evil with good is good, to resist evil by evil is evil.
  • A sign of a person’s evil is his need to constantly argue.
Feb 19, 2017
321 posts
133 upvotes
IntrepidRT wrote:
Nov 15th, 2018 10:31 am
The more you drive, the more you save. You must be driving well below the average person if you can't save money driving an EV. My neighbour is driving a free car and putting $200+ in his pocket every month by driving a Focus Electric vs his old Fusion. My mom and sister are basically driving free LEAFs, my friends are driving a free Volt (5,000km between 40L tank fill ups).

Saving 10% on fuel is pretty amateurish anyways, easy to save 15%+ when you buy CDN Tire gift cards at a 10% discount with a 2% credit card and CDN Tire multiplier coupons. This isn't even a good deal when there are better ones to be had multiple times a year.
This is pretty easy to refute. The OTR price of a base Chevy Volt - the cheapest electric hybrid out there with any real range - is well over $10K more than the base model of a compact sedan like a Civic. But let's pretend it's only $10K difference. If the average person drives over 20K km a year (which IIRC is above the average) and fuel averages $1.20 (again, higher than average especially with discounts), that person will spend $1,680.00 per year on fuel. Let's further assume the fuel cost for the Volt owner is only one-fifth of that (that is, they rarely use gas). That's $1,344 per year more than the Civic is paying for fuel. Let's round that up to $1,500 per year assuming the Volt owner saves on maintenance too. Ignoring the time value of money, that's ~7 years before the Volt owner is breaking even.

If we use more realistic values (difference in purchase price more like $15K, 15K km drive per year, discount future cash flows) and you're looking at well over 10 years before the Volt owner comes out ahead (if the cars last that long). And that's for a relatively cheap option like a Volt. Try a Bolt and you're easily looking at a $20K difference - you're not ever coming close to making up the difference in fuel and maintenance savings.

If you look at a lease instead of an outright purchase, it gets significantly worse. Electric cars depreciate like crazy (presumably over battery longevity concerns), so leasing is ridiculously expensive.

I spent a lot of time doing the math on this before I got my last car - it just doesn't add up if you don't have a money tree at your disposal. I wish it did, and hopefully as mass production of these vehicles begins in earnest (Tesla Model 3, VW, etc), battery prices come down and it's competitive option for the mass market.
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
15505 posts
2489 upvotes
Toronto
Mrbj wrote:
Nov 15th, 2018 5:44 pm
Did you ask them or they told you?
They told me, I never asked. I'm not that RFD classic dummy

My letter:
Hi,
I wanted to suggest that your terms for cashback be bolder. Upon re-visiting, I see that they are listed but I find that I keep missing them on transactions. Last night I missed out on $20 cashback because I chose your site over a competitor (your site gave none, no loss to you). It's really beginning to put a sour taste in my mouth, where I just want to leave the group for good.

Please consider the layout for 2019, I'm sure I'm not the only one who has made this mistake.

Thanks.

GCR Response:
Hi,

Sorry to hear about your situation. Would it be possible to clarify the situation in your transaction. Which merchant and which exemption.

Are you referring to the conditions and exemptions merchants have for transactions?

Are you referring to the merchant pages or the interstitial (redirect page)?

Usually the conditions are the same for all cash back sites. Merchants do not have conditions different across different websites unless they are a different category of a website. So if you missed out with us you would not receive it elsewhere.

Me:
Hello,
I was referring to the conditions listed in your site for the particular retailer (WagJag)

The restriction is:
Conditions :
Cash back not available on any kind of gift card or ecard

On the other site however, this was not a restriction, so I missed out.
I just don't particularly like your layout. The link is bolded and above it is a massive 8%, notifying us of the cashback amount and way over on the opposite side in smaller writing is the conditions.

Knowing the site a bit more, I will obviously look out for this as a deterrant from using the site. To avoid any confusion, I'm more likely to use the site that offers the cashback without a hitch.

I would just like to see these conditions in relation to the link and not on a different section of the page.
Even an asterisk on the "8%" would at least make the consumer take a second and visit the conditions. I was doing a comparison between the 2 sites and saw the higher cashback on yours and went that way, at no point did I think my purchase would be an exclusion.

Anyways my loss.
Thank you.

GCR Response:
Hello,

You will not get the cash back anywhere. I believe Wagjag will report the cashback and then reverse it at a later date (1 or 2 months later) because they do not offer cash back on gift cards. This was the case all year and will likely continue with this process. The same thing would happen at any cash back site. It is not our rule it is the policy and process by Wagjag.

Another GCR Response:
[Omitted] is correct. They report the transaction and may reverse them later. Were these gas gift cards? I will get some clarification on this with Wagjag today and get back to you.

FYI – we will be offering our own gift cards with cash back within a month. I believe gas cards will be available and the same gas deal will be offered from time to time.

Another GCR Response:
Wagjag just replied and said the transactions for the Esso cards will be reversed before the end of the year for all websites. We at least display the exception.
RedFlagDeals addict
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2009
1772 posts
450 upvotes
DaVibe wrote:
Nov 15th, 2018 3:28 pm
Great Canadian Rebates, who asked WagJag
GCR knows nothing about what ebates will do, they were just telling you that because you asked them to give you the cashback even though it's in their exclusions and used ebates as an example. It's not listed in the ebates.ca exclusions, I guarantee you they won't claw it back.

I've emailed and complained comparing them to ebates in the past before and they say the exact same thing, what they say never happens. They're just trying to save face.

The two I bought on ebates ($20 cashback) posted and the two I bought on Swagbucks ($80 cash back) posted.

I've collected $800 on GCR over the years and $1200 of ebates, but haven't been using GCR as much anymore because it's just more difficult to get the cash back from them due to all their exclusions. Exclusions are not always the same between the two sites.
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
15505 posts
2489 upvotes
Toronto
cbt123 wrote:
Nov 16th, 2018 12:33 am
GCR knows nothing about what ebates will do, they were just telling you that because you asked them to give you the cashback even though it's in their exclusions and used ebates as an example. It's not listed in the ebates.ca exclusions, I guarantee you they won't claw it back.

I've emailed and complained comparing them to ebates in the past before and they say the exact same thing, what they say never happens. They're just trying to save face.

The two I bought on ebates ($20 cashback) posted and the two I bought on Swagbucks ($80 cash back) posted.

I've collected $800 on GCR over the years and $1200 of ebates, but haven't been using GCR as much anymore because it's just more difficult to get the cash back from them due to all their exclusions. Exclusions are not always the same between the two sites.
Like I said, just curious to see what will happen with everyone who used Ebates.
I blocked GCR because they kept wanting to argue with me about nothing.

I simply said your layout sucks. Most people would say "Thank you, have a nice day" but these two employees wanted to gang up and argue over nothing. Crazy!
RedFlagDeals addict
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2009
1772 posts
450 upvotes
DaVibe wrote:
Nov 16th, 2018 1:50 am
Like I said, just curious to see what will happen with everyone who used Ebates.
I blocked GCR because they kept wanting to argue with me about nothing.

I simply said your layout sucks. Most people would say "Thank you, have a nice day" but these two employees wanted to gang up and argue over nothing. Crazy!
I found their support to be like that too, maybe to a bit lesser extent but I can see it.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
4859 posts
2757 upvotes
Kitchener
50centdollars wrote:
Nov 15th, 2018 5:55 pm
This is pretty easy to refute. The OTR price of a base Chevy Volt - the cheapest electric hybrid out there with any real range - is well over $10K more than the base model of a compact sedan like a Civic. But let's pretend it's only $10K difference. If the average person drives over 20K km a year (which IIRC is above the average) and fuel averages $1.20 (again, higher than average especially with discounts), that person will spend $1,680.00 per year on fuel. Let's further assume the fuel cost for the Volt owner is only one-fifth of that (that is, they rarely use gas). That's $1,344 per year more than the Civic is paying for fuel. Let's round that up to $1,500 per year assuming the Volt owner saves on maintenance too. Ignoring the time value of money, that's ~7 years before the Volt owner is breaking even.

If we use more realistic values (difference in purchase price more like $15K, 15K km drive per year, discount future cash flows) and you're looking at well over 10 years before the Volt owner comes out ahead (if the cars last that long). And that's for a relatively cheap option like a Volt. Try a Bolt and you're easily looking at a $20K difference - you're not ever coming close to making up the difference in fuel and maintenance savings.

If you look at a lease instead of an outright purchase, it gets significantly worse. Electric cars depreciate like crazy (presumably over battery longevity concerns), so leasing is ridiculously expensive.

I spent a lot of time doing the math on this before I got my last car - it just doesn't add up if you don't have a money tree at your disposal. I wish it did, and hopefully as mass production of these vehicles begins in earnest (Tesla Model 3, VW, etc), battery prices come down and it's competitive option for the mass market.
I think you miss the fact that a Volt is a MUCH nicer vehicle than a Civic. I don't know a single Volt driver who would ever want to downgrade - that's a large step down.

I used to drive an average amount 25,000km per year in my LEAF. My fuel savings worked out to about $1.00/100km (depends on the car you're comparing to - but I assume something with around the same amount of space and power - midsize V6). Add in maintenance savings (LEAF cost me $20 over 95,000km). Cost of my car was $24,000 pre tax ($27k all in). Sold after nearly 4 years for $18,000 - even with the horrible depreciation you speak of. Battery was at 94% of original capacity, likely good for between 500,000-600,000km overall. The secret is using it every day......constantly charging and discharging keeps the battery maintained.

Saved $9,000 in fuel costs, maybe $1,000 in maintenance costs, about $1,000 in insurance costs and lost $6,000 to depreciation and $3,000 to taxes. Overall made out about $2k ahead and drove a free car that was smoother quieter and more convenient to fuel (5 seconds to plug in every night, 5 seconds to unplug) for 4 years. Driving a BMW i3 and Tesla Model 3 now.......BMW payback is 5 years (purchased used), Tesla payback is about 9 years. I'm driving a LOT more now though - they're both business vehicles which are averaging 100,000km per year between them. I couldn't afford $10k in gasoline costs per year, so instead paying $1k for electricity.

Obviously I'm a math guy as well and now I have lots of extra money for other things that I'm not paying in transportation costs. Impossible to go back.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
5927 posts
1708 upvotes
Montreal
Ebates just removed my cashback. :(
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2009
1772 posts
450 upvotes
Their terms don't exclude gift cards, so I'll be contacting them
Apr 25, 2012