• Oct 16th, 2019 11:33 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2009
1206 posts
900 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Thanks OP, I just purchased this on my Rogers card for an additional 1.75% cashback (which will offset the loss of the extra PC MasterCard Optimum points).

$315 I didn't need to spend right now... but I can't resist a deal and I'll be buying gas anyways :P

The fact that the Speedpass+ app handles all of the fuel discounts/gift card redemptions/loyalty points in the background with a couple taps is a huge plus.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2013
1286 posts
834 upvotes
alicklee wrote: Shell didn't kill it, rfders did! ( Apparently people were stealing gift cards of larger than denominations from other stores and trying to activate with shell , when they got wind of it they shut down their gift card activation system and decided to cancel the promotion this was happening all over Canada according to the dude at the local station )
This is disgusting and pathetic.

I wish Shell/Master Card had excluded gift cards (allow Shell gift cards maybe?) from this promotion. People really abused it. That is why we can't have nice things.
May 3, 2019
36 posts
247 upvotes
after purchasing this, is they send hard copies of both cards via post to my home or it is only electronic version of cards & will be send it to my email instantly?
Mar 1, 2009
140 posts
17 upvotes
Scarborough
cool5aab wrote: after purchasing this, is they send hard copies of both cards via post to my home or it is only electronic version of cards & will be send it to my email instantly?
only electronic versions
May 3, 2019
36 posts
247 upvotes
BeerBro wrote: only electronic versions
so is it secure? like if i am not using it for long time. there is not any possibility of fraudulent transaction going through that. as wagjag already have the card detail. like in many gift card there is always risk of loosing money due to fraud. also approximate time span to received that ecard after completing purchasing transaction on wag jag site. instantly or take one two hour or one two days(any guess).
Apr 5, 2006
313 posts
148 upvotes
Mississauga
I don't think this is better than just fill up at Costco.
Shell promo was better only if you can find a discounted shell station, and this one even worse.
You have to advance $315, with minimal or no cashback. If paying directly at gas station, one can use 4% cashback card, not at wagjag.
Apr 1, 2007
42 posts
19 upvotes
cool5aab wrote: so is it secure? like if i am not using it for long time. there is not any possibility of fraudulent transaction going through that. as wagjag already have the card detail. like in many gift card there is always risk of loosing money due to fraud. also approximate time span to received that ecard after completing purchasing transaction on wag jag site. instantly or take one two hour or one two days(any guess).
They say it will be emailed in 5 - 7 business days but I think it sometimes takes closer to two weeks.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2006
1407 posts
154 upvotes
Toronto
Has anyone found a Wagjag coupon that works with this deal ?
Oct 30, 2017
77 posts
67 upvotes
Ontario
ol2006 wrote: I don't think this is better than just fill up at Costco.
Shell promo was better only if you can find a discounted shell station, and this one even worse.
You have to advance $315, with minimal or no cashback. If paying directly at gas station, one can use 4% cashback card, not at wagjag.
It depends on your area and how much of a difference there is between Costco and Esso. If you fill up 50 L @ 1.15 at Esso, Costco would need to be about 4.5 cents cheaper per L with a 4% cashback card. And if you are using the 2% Costco MC, gas would need to be about 6.5 cents cheaper. The Esso down the street from my Costco is usually 3 cents higher so I would be saving money with this deal. And that's not including the loyalty points I'd get at Esso either. So I'd still be almost saving 5 cents per litre with this deal.
Mar 27, 2006
262 posts
157 upvotes
tivo_box wrote: Wagjag promo code 15THANKS19 doesn't seem to work if you try to buy the same deal again.
Don't bother to find any promo as in the cart it says:

Esso and Mobil
Non Expiring
This item is not eligible for promo codes.
Dec 9, 2001
362 posts
154 upvotes
Vancouver
Moneysense wrote: Good Deal. Last time I stacked up with Wagjag 15% discount (entire site 24 hours deal). So, wait and watch wagjag has this kind of discount going on frequently.
How do you get the 15% off? Is it a targeted offer?

On a side note, how are you guys seeing this as a hot deal?
2.5 cent cards are free if you walk into the station and grab it off the shelf.

Spending $15 to save $60 nets you $45 over 600L, which is about 7.5 cents per litre. If you subtract 2.5 cents from this, it's only a saving of 5 cents/L.
In Vancouver where gas is roughly 1.45cents/L, it only translate to an overall savings of 3.5%.

Also... By spending $315 online, you will get lower cashback than filling up at the pump.
Losing 1% or more in some cases unless you have something like the Rogers MC World Elite.
Oct 24, 2009
638 posts
550 upvotes
Vancouver
ShocWave wrote: How do you get the 15% off? Is it a targeted offer?

On a side note, how are you guys seeing this as a hot deal?

Spending $15 to save $60 nets you $45 over 600L, which is about 7.5 cents per litre. If you subtract 2.5 cents from this, it's only a saving of 5 cents/L.
In Vancouver where gas is roughly 1.45cents/L, it only translate to an overall savings of 3.5%.

Also... By spending $315 online, you will get lower cashback than filling up at the pump.
Losing 1% or more in some cases unless you have something like the Rogers MC World Elite.
Completely agree with you. People tend to forget about free 2.5c/L cards - I have two free ones registered with 2,000L which will last very long time.
Jul 31, 2016
388 posts
596 upvotes
Whitby
lol how are they free?
Jan 9, 2014
789 posts
650 upvotes
Regina
2.5 cent cards are OK, but you're still missing out on the additional 7.5cpl

Although I wouldn't have pulled the trigger on this offer if I didn't get the 10$ telus credit
Sep 30, 2001
28054 posts
7137 upvotes
Toronto
ShocWave wrote: 2.5 cent cards are free if you walk into the station and grab it off the shelf.
has anyone seen these in Toronto?
I'm trying to understand the math. You can't stack discount cards so how are you subtracting the 2.5c/L card with the initial 10c/L card?
We're all in this together. Be kind and civil with one another