Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
WagJag

Esso - Up to 21% off a Fuel Discount Card & Gift Card Bundle

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 29th, 2018 2:52 pm
Mar 11, 2013
811 posts
812 upvotes
Brampton

Esso - Up to 21% off a Fuel Discount Card & Gift Card Bundle

Deal Link:
Price:
Savings:
21% Off
Expiry:
September 21, 2018
Retailer:
WagJag
There is an on-going 72 Hour flash sale in WagJag. Majority of the return is in fuel savings card though. Combining with ebates(5.5%) will give additional savings.

Option 1: $150 Esso card bundle for $118 which includes a $100 fuel discount e-card (save 5 cents per litre up to 2,000 litres) AND a $50 Esso e-Gift Card

Option 2: $75 fuel discount e-card for $62 (save 5 cents per litre up to 1,500 litres)
36 replies
Dec 2, 2015
101 posts
281 upvotes
GTA
Suppose the price of gas: $1.30/L

For purchasing Option 1,
(2000*1.25 +68)/(2000*1.30) =98.77%. (2000L).

(1360*1.25+68)/(1360*1.30)=100% . (1360L)

Save up to 1.23%.

If less than 1360L, loss money ( and waste time!)

Absolutely NOT A DEAL.
Last edited by Yonge088 on Sep 19th, 2018 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sep 13, 2016
312 posts
308 upvotes
Similar esso fuel discount cards for upto 2000 Litres were given out for free by fido Extra last month.
Very cold deal
Mar 11, 2013
811 posts
812 upvotes
Brampton
For gas, most we get is an occasional $5 or $10 discounted GC in ebay.
Here you get savings of $32 ($38.5 if you factor in ebates) which is of course over a period of time(to consume 2000 L).
Any savings when it comes to gas is a descent deal and hence posted.
Mar 11, 2013
811 posts
812 upvotes
Brampton
winnipeger1 wrote: Similar esso fuel discount cards for upto 2000 Litres were given out for free by fido Extra last month.
Very cold deal
Limited to fido customers and how often have you come across such give aways?
Sep 13, 2016
312 posts
308 upvotes
duraikmurugan wrote: Limited to fido customers and how often have you come across such give aways?
I agree it was limited to fido customers but claiming to have fuel saving card worth $100 is ridiculous. Lots of people have 2-4 accounts with fido and were able to get 1 fuel saving card per account. I got 3
Nov 26, 2015
885 posts
659 upvotes
Ontario
When the majority of the deal is in the fuel savings card, it becomes a bad deal. If the majority of the cost was the actual gift card and the discount portion is the fuel savings card then the deal is okay. A side from this, I am hating Wagjag and will always hesitate more before buying anything from them.

My last Esso bundle I bought, took until the end of date range if not late before getting it. While my current order of a "product" order is currently 2 weeks PASSED their listed date range and their service in handling the inquiry = NONE. So if I buy these type of deals, I will sway more towards groupon, until Wagjag can ensure me of better service. Right now, my opinion about this company is nearing the "SC..M/FRAUD" category. I have had better service dealing with chinese sellers on aliexpress.
Sep 13, 2016
312 posts
308 upvotes
duraikmurugan wrote: For gas, most we get is an occasional $5 or $10 discounted GC in ebay.
Here you get savings of $32 ($38.5 if you factor in ebates) which is of course over a period of time(to consume 2000 L).
Any savings when it comes to gas is a descent deal and hence posted.
You are essentially saving 1.23% over a period of 1 year (2000 L X lets say 10km/L= 20,000 km which is what average person’s mileage is in one year)

Now think about it:
-You are forced to used esso all the time to save 1.23% regardless of whether esso is cheaper than competitors or whether u have to drive 5-10 km to get esso gas.
-there is always a possibility of losing or misplacing fuel saving card in one year.

If it were to be a discounted giftcard alone with no strings, thats a different story. Even 10% discounted gas gc is a good deal but 1.23% discount on a fuel isnt
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10922 posts
3658 upvotes
terrible idea, never lock yourself into one gas station unless you live in a price regulated area

Today in my 35KM commute, I passed probably 12 gas stations, ranging from 1.17 to 1.33 per litre for regular gas. Esso was not 1.17. Shell was the highest as they are trying to bump the price in Edmonton to 1.33 today. I filled up at safeway for 1.19 and had an extra 4 cent off coupon from buying weekly groceries. Esso was 1.23
Mar 11, 2013
811 posts
812 upvotes
Brampton
Etabol wrote: When the majority of the deal is in the fuel savings card, it becomes a bad deal. If the majority of the cost was the actual gift card and the discount portion is the fuel savings card then the deal is okay. A side from this, I am hating Wagjag and will always hesitate more before buying anything from them.

My last Esso bundle I bought, took until the end of date range if not late before getting it. While my current order of a "product" order is currently 2 weeks PASSED their listed date range and their service in handling the inquiry = NONE. So if I buy these type of deals, I will sway more towards groupon, until Wagjag can ensure me of better service. Right now, my opinion about this company is nearing the "SC..M/FRAUD" category. I have had better service dealing with chinese sellers on aliexpress.
Thank you for the info on Wagjag. I've never ordered a product here. Have used only to get Lindt Coupons.
Mar 11, 2013
811 posts
812 upvotes
Brampton
winnipeger1 wrote: You are essentially saving 1.23% over a period of 1 year (2000 L X lets say 10km/L= 20,000 km which is what average person’s mileage is in one year)

Now think about it:
-You are forced to used esso all the time to save 1.23% regardless of whether esso is cheaper than competitors or whether u have to drive 5-10 km to get esso gas.
-there is always a possibility of losing or misplacing fuel saving card in one year.

If it were to be a discounted giftcard alone with no strings, thats a different story. Even 10% discounted gas gc is a good deal but 1.23% discount on a fuel isnt
1.23% does look minuscule. I saw it as 30 L of gas saved. I do agree with your points, could you please let me know how are you forced to use esso here(I do not own a car. I assume you do and would know the practical difficulties)? Considering there is no expiry mentioned in fine print, you could use the card when ever you use esso right?
Last edited by duraikmurugan on Sep 19th, 2018 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2013
1328 posts
965 upvotes
Toronto
winnipeger1 wrote: You are essentially saving 1.23% over a period of 1 year (2000 L X lets say 10km/L= 20,000 km which is what average person’s mileage is in one year)

Now think about it:

In fact, considering that you lock in what you pay upfront for an entire year, you'd probably save more by putting the money in a sufficiently high interest savings account.
Sep 13, 2016
312 posts
308 upvotes
duraikmurugan wrote: 1.23% does look minuscule. I saw it as 30 L of gas saved. I do agree with your points, could you please let me know how are you forced to use esso here(I do not own a car. I assume you do and would know the practical difficulties)? Considering there is no expiry mentioned in fine print, you could use the card when ever you use esso right?
Its 5c/L for 2000L. Lets say gas price is constant at 1.30. You’d save $32 on $2600 spend at esso over a period of 1-2 year depending on how much you drive.
These fuel saving cards can only be used at Esso station. Hence im forced to use only esso gas if i want to take advantage of 5c/L. Nearest esso from my home is 7km away while i have a shell, co-op, superstore gas, and petro within 1 km radious from my place. For me, i would have to drive extra 6 km each way to get esso gas. For me, extra commute and time isnt worth 32 dollar saving specially since esso is not the cheapest gas station either. I usually fillup at superstore where i get 9c/L in points for using pc mastercaed
Mar 11, 2013
811 posts
812 upvotes
Brampton
winnipeger1 wrote: Its 5c/L for 2000L. Lets say gas price is constant at 1.30. You’d save $32 on $2600 spend at esso over a period of 1-2 year depending on how much you drive.
These fuel saving cards can only be used at Esso station. Hence im forced to use only esso gas if i want to take advantage of 5c/L. Nearest esso from my home is 7km away while i have a shell, co-op, superstore gas, and petro within 1 km radious from my place. For me, i would have to drive extra 6 km each way to get esso gas. For me, extra commute and time isnt worth 32 dollar saving specially since esso is not the cheapest gas station either. I usually fillup at superstore where i get 9c/L in points for using pc mastercaed
Point taken. The downside is the time taken to use up the discount card whereas the GC would be used faster. Thanks for you time in explaining.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
3912 posts
4763 upvotes
Canada
So many Esso deals now. No wonder all Vancouver Esso stations get away with charging 1-4c more for gas.

PC Optium is 3c savings per litre. Extra for PC Mscd holders I think. Or Esso Points members get extra points too if you go that route.

I wish Vancouver had more truly independent dealers that competed more so one didn't have to manage all this.

Can PC OPTIUM be used together with the Esso Price Savings card for 3c + 2.5c + PC MSCD???
Mar 11, 2013
811 posts
812 upvotes
Brampton
RxMills wrote: So many Esso deals now. No wonder all Vancouver Esso stations get away with charging 1-4c more for gas.

PC Optium is 3c savings per litre. Extra for PC Mscd holders I think. Or Esso Points members get extra points too if you go that route.

I wish Vancouver had more truly independent dealers that competed more so one didn't have to manage all this.

Can PC OPTIUM be used together with the Esso Price Savings card for 3c + 2.5c + PC MSCD???
Yes. One savings/discount Card + one points card + one payment card can be used.
Jun 25, 2005
849 posts
522 upvotes
If you create an Esso extra card, they’ll send you a fuel discount card for free similar to the Fido deal.
Oct 5, 2008
754 posts
814 upvotes
GTA
Just wanted to add that, in my experience, more often than not you have to go into the store to pay because the fuel savings card won't work at the pump. It's supposed to, it just doesn't (again, in my experience). Just that hassle isn't worth it IMO.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2010
4015 posts
4406 upvotes
GTA
Thanks for the initiative OP!

Personally, I find that its possible to get the discount card at no cost. e.g. CardSwap and ebates gift card shop sell reloadable Esso gift cards.
During a promotion (happens often) they give discount cards, a few weeks ago they gave us the 5c card for ~100 litres, and the reloads of these cards (still live) give you 10c/200litres.
So thats ~10% discount in general.
Nov 21, 2013
95 posts
73 upvotes
Snow Road Station, O…
Must be stupid to buy this.

Ebatesgiftcard buy $200 ESSO giftcard for $200, you get 10 cents/L off for 200L ($20), plus 2% ebates cashback + 1% credit card cashback. You really pay 116.4 when the gas price is 130, and you also get the Optimum points from ESSO.

When Canadiantire gift card 10% off from Loblaws/Shoppers, you can also get 1%-3% from credit card cashback, and 3~4.5 cents/L Trangle points from Canadiantire gas station.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)