Entertainment

Wahlberg got $1.5M for 'All the Money' reshoot, Williams paid less than $1,000

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 21st, 2018 8:08 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2003
4280 posts
119 upvotes
Austin/Markham
JayLove06 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 4:31 am
I have no dog in this race but it’s interesting how quickly and passionately RFD is defending this. “Oh she negotiated a bad deal!”. Would you say that explains the wage gap between men and women? “Bad negotiating”?
Its not comparable, entertainment and arts isn't like making burgers. Its abstract and the tangible value between individuals is hard to quantify. Are male porn stars paid the same as female ones? Are paintings from various artists priced the same?
chimaican wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 11:24 am
Well maybe it's time they set up a minimum pay scale so that every actor knows what the minimum starting pay will be. They can base it on estimated screen time and star power (A-lister vs B & C actors, lead vs supporting roles vs minor roles etc). After that point if their agent can't negotiate for more then that's the actor's problem.

They can't keep blaming the studio or the execs when they find out after the fact.
Besides, Wahlberg has starred in more leading roles than Williams.
There's already a screen actors guild and an actors union. I'm not sure why this issue is popping up now, but didn't decades ago. The movie industry is a pretty mature field, over 80 years old now.
__
demandez-lui si elle dormira avec vous pour un LED keychain
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 16, 2010
4427 posts
722 upvotes
Aurora
LOL. Wahlberg really did get 'All the Money' Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
5330 posts
1113 upvotes
Mississauga
If people don't understand show business has everything to do with star-power, they are sadly misinformed.

Michelle Williams is a phenomenal actor, way better than Mark...easily. But in the movie business the star-power of a name is what draws ticket sales.

Mark is at his peak right now, he's the one who can command the millions and studios will pay it because we, the consumers are going to the theatres to watch it. It's that simple.

I would also say, prior to news about Spacey coming to light, he had more star power than Michelle Williams as well on the back of the success of House of Cards.

At the same time, not all actors are looking for the big blockbuster movies to be in. Michelle, being as talented as she is, seems to only go after roles that are more challenging, playing characters that have a lot of depth, and being part of movie plot lines that have a darkness to them. All of which, because of consumers not paying to see those such movies, doesn't grow her star power.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 8, 2007
4642 posts
852 upvotes
Everything you just said, while it may be a rationale approach noting the realities of certain industries, basically flys in the face of social justice warriors and 'progressives' ...... especially things like concepts of power, or star power, as they relate to the sexes. Oh man. What a can of worms. Marky is not in a good place right now.
kenchau wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 9:32 am
If people don't understand show business has everything to do with star-power, they are sadly misinformed.

Michelle Williams is a phenomenal actor, way better than Mark...easily. But in the movie business the star-power of a name is what draws ticket sales.

Mark is at his peak right now, he's the one who can command the millions and studios will pay it because we, the consumers are going to the theatres to watch it. It's that simple.

I would also say, prior to news about Spacey coming to light, he had more star power than Michelle Williams as well on the back of the success of House of Cards.

At the same time, not all actors are looking for the big blockbuster movies to be in. Michelle, being as talented as she is, seems to only go after roles that are more challenging, playing characters that have a lot of depth, and being part of movie plot lines that have a darkness to them. All of which, because of consumers not paying to see those such movies, doesn't grow her star power.
Mark77 wrote:"All aspiring students should go into the financial services - engineering is, and always has been, a poor choice for our brightest minds ... and TodayHello is my Hero ..."
Hydropwnics wrote:"TodayHello is a certified hustler and original gangster."
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 12, 2005
7947 posts
892 upvotes
Victoria
I tend to agree. I'm not actually sure who Michelle WIlliams is, but I know who Mark Wahlburg is, and I've watched movies because he was in them. Movies are all about ticket sales, and certain actors sell tickets, and thus get paid more.


I'm not sure why people are crapping on him. He negotiating his reshoot fee with the studio. Isn't it the studio who negotiated the unequal reshoot fees. Mark would of had nothing to do with negotiations on his costars fee?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 8, 2007
4642 posts
852 upvotes
zod wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 10:01 am
I'm not sure why people are crapping on him. He negotiating his reshoot fee with the studio. Isn't it the studio who negotiated the unequal reshoot fees. Mark would of had nothing to do with negotiations on his costars fee?
But, did Marky take the time to think about equality? To advocate for those who are in lower and disadvantageous positions of power? Doesn't he have a responsibility to do so, noting the structural inequality in the system, to use his 'star power' to promote equality of outcomes - especially as a white man, soaked in privilege?

... right.
Mark77 wrote:"All aspiring students should go into the financial services - engineering is, and always has been, a poor choice for our brightest minds ... and TodayHello is my Hero ..."
Hydropwnics wrote:"TodayHello is a certified hustler and original gangster."
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
5330 posts
1113 upvotes
Mississauga
TodayHello wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 9:51 am
Everything you just said, while it may be a rationale approach noting the realities of certain industries, basically flys in the face of social justice warriors and 'progressives' ...... especially things like concepts of power, or star power, as they relate to the sexes. Oh man. What a can of worms. Marky is not in a good place right now.
Yes, but along the same lines, Angelina Jolie has starred in movies where i'm sure she was paid many times more than a male supporting actor, etc.

Same is true in the music industry. You have your Taylor Swifts, Mariah Carey, Christina Aguilera, etc.

The thing with show business is star power has nothing to do with gender, it simply has to do with who consumers make a big star versus a regular celebrity.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
5330 posts
1113 upvotes
Mississauga
TodayHello wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 10:31 am
But, did Marky take the time to think about equality? To advocate for those who are in lower and disadvantageous positions of power? Doesn't he have a responsibility to do so, noting the structural inequality in the system, to use his 'star power' to promote equality of outcomes - especially as a white man, soaked in privilege?

... right.
At your workplace, when you have your annual review, do you tell your boss you'll only have as big a raise as all your peers? In fact, do you tell your boss that if you're already paid more than your peers, then you will not accept pay increases until tjey are caught up, or do you threaten to quit if they don't bring the pay of your peers up to your level.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
5330 posts
1113 upvotes
Mississauga
I would also like to add, for the movie Passengers, Jennifer Lawrence commanded $20M and wouldn't budge or she would walk away from the film. Because she had the star power from the success of Hunger Games, as well as, other movies, Sony ponied up.

Chris Pratt, whose character was more of a lead chracter in the movie (although, still fairly equal) got paid $10M.

Again, nothing to do with gender, just that one is a bigger star at the time and was willing to walk away rather than accepting the initial $15M she was probably offered (which is still more than Chris Pratt).
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 23, 2008
6506 posts
2234 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
kenchau wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 11:19 am
I would also like to add, for the movie Passengers, Jennifer Lawrence commanded $20M and wouldn't budge or she would walk away from the film. Because she had the star power from the success of Hunger Games, as well as, other movies, Sony ponied up.

Chris Pratt, whose character was more of a lead chracter in the movie (although, still fairly equal) got paid $10M.

Again, nothing to do with gender, just that one is a bigger star at the time and was willing to walk away rather than accepting the initial $15M she was probably offered (which is still more than Chris Pratt).
But but but... the fem-nazi's won't never ever allow this information to be brought up. Hush up now.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Member
Apr 29, 2017
218 posts
56 upvotes
Mark will now be donating that 1.5m to times up or metoo or whatever. I think it's Bs that he got basically pressured into dojng this. Now the money can be used as reparations for women who got hit on at work.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 3, 2011
1772 posts
302 upvotes
Mitts87 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 5:12 pm
Mark will now be donating that 1.5m to times up or metoo or whatever. I think it's Bs that he got basically pressured into dojng this. Now the money can be used as reparations for women who got hit on at work.
Seems like straight up bullying, if you ask me.
Baaaaaaaaa!
Member
Apr 29, 2017
218 posts
56 upvotes
If I was mark walhberg the next movie I do whether it be about a guy who has cancer or spousal abuse, donate all his salary to the cause and shame all the other actors into working for free.
Penalty Box
User avatar
Mar 20, 2009
1285 posts
185 upvotes
Toronto
Mitts87 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 8:13 pm
If I was mark walhberg the next movie I do whether it be about a guy who has cancer or spousal abuse, donate all his salary to the cause and shame all the other actors into working for free.
You should write to him, and explain how it has always been your dream to be Dirk Diggler's fluffer.
Zing?

Top