• Oct 4th, 2017 9:48 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 21, 2016
59 posts
35 upvotes

Waiting time for Midwives / Doulas?

We are first time expecting parents. We are 14 weeks in. And recently got to know that having a midwife and doula would be better.
So are we too late to find one? We are based in downtown Toronto.
What would the approx waitlist be like? And what might be the costs included? Any help would be appreciated!
11 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3570 posts
1012 upvotes
Toronto
Midwives are covered by OHIP so should be no cost, but the practices fill up VERY quickly. Call some local practices today. You might be waitlisted or you may not get in at all. I was waitlisted with my first and got in at 33 weeks pregnant, no wait with my second and started seeing them immediately (although that was years ago now...)
Doulas are not covered by OHIP but that's all I know. I imagine they're much easier to come by than an available midwife.
[OP]
Nov 21, 2016
59 posts
35 upvotes
Awesome! Thanks! I'll give a call to all centers in downtown Toronto and check my luck!
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2013
2394 posts
974 upvotes
I called my midwife when I was 6 weeks pregnant. Being 14 weeks your only option will likely be to go on a wait list. Midwives do take on additional patients later on because if a pregnancy is considered high risk for any reason care is transferred to an OB.

I've had an OB and had a midwife for a later pregnancy. I found the level of care much higher with the midwife. They ordered all the same tests as an OB. But would take more time during appointments. There were also their the entire time during labour (after I went to the hospital) and delivery. With an OB they won't be with while your in labour. They will just check on you and then basically show up just in time for the delivery.

My midwife also came to the house 3 days after birth to check on me and the baby. It was nice not having to go out anywhere.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9418 posts
1184 upvotes
Toronto
Do you have family here? We did Doula for the first time, and also elected to do so the 2nd time. Doula since private is easily available. We for one am glad we got it.
[OP]
Nov 21, 2016
59 posts
35 upvotes
Thanks for the info.. We have an appointment with Kensington Midwives next week. So need to research on that if it's a good organisation.
As for Doula, yes! That makes sense! Will definitely search for them too. Any recommendations would be appreciated!
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13129 posts
653 upvotes
While I am sure that there are "bad" midwives, we didn't find that any were bad at our location. Now, there will be some that are a better fit to your personality, but at this time, you probably won't have much choice.

We had:
Doula for our first
Midwife (actually had both that night and a student) and a doula for our second - home birth
Midwife for our third - but since it was not at her hospital, she had no privileges and therefore had to act much like a doula
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3570 posts
1012 upvotes
Toronto
nalababe wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 3:21 pm
While I am sure that there are "bad" midwives, we didn't find that any were bad at our location. Now, there will be some that are a better fit to your personality, but at this time, you probably won't have much choice.

We had:
Doula for our first
Midwife (actually had both that night and a student) and a doula for our second - home birth
Midwife for our third - but since it was not at her hospital, she had no privileges and therefore had to act much like a doula
Agree, I haven't met a bad midwife yet! We had a hospital birth with our first with two midwives, and a homebirth with our second - two midwives and a midwifery student. I can't say I ever felt unsupported or in need of a doula.
Sep 3, 2013
643 posts
109 upvotes
Toronto
sacthegreat666 wrote:
Sep 26th, 2017 5:16 pm
Thanks for the info.. We have an appointment with Kensington Midwives next week. So need to research on that if it's a good organisation.
As for Doula, yes! That makes sense! Will definitely search for them too. Any recommendations would be appreciated!
You're so lucky to get one. I registered on the waitlist at week 10 and got a phone call when I was already in labour :-s
[OP]
Nov 21, 2016
59 posts
35 upvotes
Kayceern wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2017 9:58 pm
You're so lucky to get one. I registered on the waitlist at week 10 and got a phone call when I was already in labour :-s
Oh! That's bad! We luckily got calls from 2 places.. We now need to choose one of those two and figuring out which might be better for us!
Sep 3, 2013
643 posts
109 upvotes
Toronto
sacthegreat666 wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 9:15 am
Oh! That's bad! We luckily got calls from 2 places.. We now need to choose one of those two and figuring out which might be better for us!
DO you have a preference in terms of where you want to give birth? Each midwifery assoc is affiliated with a hospital. I went with the one affiliated with Sunnybrook cos that's my preferred hospital and place of l&d.
[OP]
Nov 21, 2016
59 posts
35 upvotes
Okay! We are located in downtown, so sunnybrook is out of question since those midwives don't take in clients out of their catchment area..
We are now finalizing between Kensington and Midwives Collective..