Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 21, 2016
300 posts
271 upvotes
Toronto

Waitlist for daycare, Montessori, school, etc

We had a baby 2 months back and checked for daycare. They said they have a minimum 1 year Waitlist.
So any rough timeline for each phase that we need to be aware of? Like when we need to approach, when the kids should start school, etc?
15 replies
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
1324 posts
718 upvotes
Montreal
In Quebec, you should get on the waiting list for daycare as soon as conception is confirmed (positive pregnancy test).

For private schools, each school has their own policy. It can be as far as 3 years in advance.

You can check with each school individually, but if you have a good daycare admin she should let you know most of the schools' policies and thereby save you some work.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
22187 posts
8835 upvotes
Ottawa
1yr is the minimun for my kid's Extended Daycare Program and not even a gurantee.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
1281 posts
486 upvotes
OTTAWA
sacthegreat666 wrote:
May 10th, 2018 3:49 pm
We had a baby 2 months back and checked for daycare. They said they have a minimum 1 year Waitlist.
So any rough timeline for each phase that we need to be aware of? Like when we need to approach, when the kids should start school, etc?
Generally there is one waiting list for all ages. You need to tell them when you plan to start but you don't need to wait again once your child is admitted. The list is not always fixed in stone and it can help to go in person periodically. If you are not eligible for a subsidy a private institution that doesn't take subsidy kids might be easier to get into and won't be much more expensive. Usually this is only for toddlers rather than infants.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
8469 posts
747 upvotes
Toronto
Because it's free to put your name on a wait list, parents register on many lists at once.

So it may look bad, but in fact when they get into one daycare, then all the other day cares wait list will be minus one. Sometimes parents will be nice to call to cancel, sometimes not. Daycare will phone them and find out. Then they may be crossing off like 10 names after a round of calling.

Like you are at a restaurant wait list #10, then suddenly you are #2 because 8 people before you left.
Nov 25, 2016
81 posts
30 upvotes
rfdrfd wrote:
May 16th, 2018 11:32 am
Because it's free to put your name on a wait list, parents register on many lists at once.

So it may look bad, but in fact when they get into one daycare, then all the other day cares wait list will be minus one. Sometimes parents will be nice to call to cancel, sometimes not. Daycare will phone them and find out. Then they may be crossing off like 10 names after a round of calling.

Like you are at a restaurant wait list #10, then suddenly you are #2 because 8 people before you left.
I found that daycares that had a registration fee (I. E. If there's no wait list, you pay the fee to be put into the class) have shorter wait periods for this reason (people only put their name on if they actually plan on attending this daycare & then if someone pulls out, they start calling to fill that spot right away and all the names disappear pretty quickly).
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
8469 posts
747 upvotes
Toronto
Mikaelali wrote:
May 17th, 2018 7:04 am
I found that daycares that had a registration fee (I. E. If there's no wait list, you pay the fee to be put into the class) have shorter wait periods for this reason (people only put their name on if they actually plan on attending this daycare & then if someone pulls out, they start calling to fill that spot right away and all the names disappear pretty quickly).
i believe in Ontario, they put in a new law that bans daycares from charging to be put on a waiting list?

Personally, I rather they have a fee to be on the list, because that will reduce/prevent people from putting their names on 10 lists. Which is unfair to the others.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2014
1710 posts
562 upvotes
Alberta
Where in Toronto are you located ?
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2014
1710 posts
562 upvotes
Alberta
sacthegreat666 wrote:
May 17th, 2018 7:55 pm
Next to air Canada centre..
Ouch. Quality downtown daycares are hard to get into. I have a friend who put hers in one near Liberty Village but that’s too far.
Nov 25, 2016
81 posts
30 upvotes
rfdrfd wrote:
May 17th, 2018 10:45 am
i believe in Ontario, they put in a new law that bans daycares from charging to be put on a waiting list?

Personally, I rather they have a fee to be on the list, because that will reduce/prevent people from putting their names on 10 lists. Which is unfair to the others.
They're registration fees; you're guaranteed a spot. So if there's a wait list and someone who has secured a spot pulls out, the first person on the wait list would have to pay the fee to secure the spot or ask to be taken off the wait list. So if a spot ever opens up, the wait list shortens really quickly.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
8469 posts
747 upvotes
Toronto
Mikaelali wrote:
May 22nd, 2018 1:44 am
They're registration fees; you're guaranteed a spot. So if there's a wait list and someone who has secured a spot pulls out, the first person on the wait list would have to pay the fee to secure the spot or ask to be taken off the wait list. So if a spot ever opens up, the wait list shortens really quickly.
Registration fee I know of. I'm referring to a put me on a wait list fee. Non refundable.

I know some daycares previously charged this. Just to be out in a wait list and if you don't get in, or you pull out of the wait list, you've lost this amount.

So province had to put in a ban on this type of fee.
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2006
1599 posts
87 upvotes
Toronto
My brother's kid in Downtown Toronto is on 8 waiting lists lol, sister-in-law goes back to work in 2 months, and still no spots after a year.

I'm on 2 waiting lists in Etobicoke haha, no idea what's gonna happen after, but meh...
May 13, 2007
19 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Did you visit the daycares before putting your child's name on the waiting list?
Nov 25, 2016
81 posts
30 upvotes
maryj wrote:
May 29th, 2018 8:45 am
Did you visit the daycares before putting your child's name on the waiting list?
From my experience, a lot wouldn't give me the fees until I visited in person, so I had to.

I do prefer seeing them in person first; gives me a feel for the environment.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)