Shopping Discussion

Wal-Mart Changes Return Policy (Must have receipt)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 31st, 2012 7:21 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2009
1765 posts
1068 upvotes

Wal-Mart Changes Return Policy (Must have receipt)

I was heading to the Agincourt Wal-Mart to return a lamp I bought about a week ago. I dumped the receipt on day one, so I was hoping for store credit. I was told by the employee that Wal-Mart has changed their return policy, where you must have your receipt to do any kind of refunds since June 22nd.
New Walmart Return Policy Detailed Guidelines

Satisfaction Guaranteed.

Our goal is to satisfy our Customers by Exchange, Refund, or Repair (if possible).

Within 90 Days of purchase, with receipt
All store merchandise with the exception of the following:

14 days with receipt
Computers
Laptops
Monitors
Printers
Camcorders
Digital cameras
Portable Video Players

30 days with receipt
Televisions
DVD players/recorders
Home Audio Systems
Telephones
MP3 players
GPS units
Post/prepaid phones
Musical instruments & amplifiers
Prescription Eyewear

These items must be returned unopened
Prerecorded music, movies, software products, computer/ video games, ink cartridges and boxes of disposable contact lenses.

Sales are final
Ammunition, fireworks, prepaid phone cards, pierced or personalized/engraved jewellery & underwear.
I guess the people that abused the return policy has ruined it for us all :( The CSR mentioned the game department is wierdly overstocked at times.
72 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
7332 posts
679 upvotes
Toronto
It's about time Walmart started enforcing this.

Walmart was too lenient and that left them open to fraud.

If you lose the receipt, it's your own fault.
Aug 5, 2007
616 posts
86 upvotes
this has been their return policy for over a year now. this is nothing new.

however, they can still issue store credit under certain circumstances/their own discretion.

a lamp? perhaps they should've just given you a credit.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2002
9964 posts
1835 upvotes
Oakville
timonwong wrote:
Jul 6th, 2010 1:01 am

I guess the people that abused the return policy has ruined it for us all
Ruined what? If you legit buy it there, keep the little piece of paper that proves you bought it there. Not exactly rocket science.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10455 posts
1970 upvotes
Hugh Jass wrote:
Jul 6th, 2010 11:37 am
Ruined what? If you legit buy it there, keep the little piece of paper that proves you bought it there. Not exactly rocket science.
Sometimes you lose that little piece of paper or becomes illegible because of the thermal paper they use.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2005
1528 posts
176 upvotes
Burnaby
drunag wrote:
Jul 6th, 2010 10:59 am
False. The revised policy as quoted above just took effect. Big pylon signs standing prominently at the entrances to all stores.
drunag wrote:
however, they can still issue store credit under certain circumstances/their own discretion.
False again. No receipt = no return, period.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2005
1528 posts
176 upvotes
Burnaby
timonwong wrote:
Jul 6th, 2010 1:01 am
I was heading to the Agincourt Wal-Mart to return a lamp I bought about a week ago. I dumped the receipt on day one, so I was hoping for store credit. I was told by the employee that Wal-Mart has changed their return policy, where you must have your receipt to do any kind of refunds since June 22nd.

I guess the people that abused the return policy has ruined it for us all :( The CSR mentioned the game department is wierdly overstocked at times.
This is long overdue. All of us who shop at Walmart end up paying for the abuses (and outright fraud) perpetrated by other shoppers.

I really can't understand why anyone would find it so difficult to hang onto a receipt. I mean, how much space do they take up?? We keep shoe-box in a closet that we throw all our receipts into, and it only has to be emptied-out maybe every couple of months. How tough is that?
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
2700 posts
292 upvotes
Alberta
Wingding wrote:
Jul 6th, 2010 12:52 pm
This is long overdue. All of us who shop at Walmart end up paying for the abuses (and outright fraud) perpetrated by other shoppers.
It's about time they did this. It's no different than people who shop at Costco and abuse the system there. The policies change and the guys who abuse it the most are the ones complaining about it.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2009
1149 posts
48 upvotes
Hugh Jass wrote:
The abuse that was happening was people buying stuff cheap NOT at WalMart, but "returning" it without a reciept (naturally, since no WalMart reciept existed for the purchase) to WalMart for the higher price of store credit.

i.e.:

But a PSPgo at Rogers during the current 50% off sale for $124.99.
"Return" it, without a reciept, to WalMart for $249.99 store credit.

Rinse and repeat with all kinds of purchases. It's a scam and theft, but see if the people doing it care.

Well now they can't. GOOD, I say. Because we all paid for their scamming.

A slightly less nasty version of scamming the old return policy was to basically return stuff bought at WalMart WAAAAAAAAAY longer ago than 90 days. i.e. buy something like a TV at WalMart, use it for 6 months, return it to WalMart without a reciept for full store credit. Repeat, never pay for a TV.

This was still a scam and a form of theft. Just not as outright nasty as the "return stuff not bought there at all" one.

I'm glad both are blocked now. Way overdue.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
7154 posts
964 upvotes
Yes tons of people on this site have bragged of doing just that, especially with the games. They see it as a completely normal, nothing wrong with it thing to do. The only surprising think is it took this long for walmart to act. Im sure anyone left with a liberal no receipt return policy wont be far behind in adopting the same thing
Canadian Code of Advertising Standards http://tinyurl.com/48ercz5 Submit advertising complaints http://tinyurl.com/5uxezyk
Deceptive Marketing Practices Under the Competition Act http://tinyurl.com/4coy4qd

There is NO HST on "Free item" or the free part of a "Buy 1 get 1" manufacturer coupon http://tinyurl.com/4ys45jg
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2009
1765 posts
1068 upvotes
drunag wrote:

a lamp? perhaps they should've just given you a credit.
nope, they changed their policy to where you get nothing back without a receipt
Hugh Jass wrote:
i have a bad habit of dumping the receipt on smaller purchases right at the store exit's garbage bin. My fault, I know, but I never had to worry about that until now, guess I have to change that habit.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2009
1260 posts
315 upvotes
Mississauga
has anyone been able to return or get store credit if you have the receipt but its over 90 days?
Deal Addict
May 29, 2005
3846 posts
79 upvotes
Hamilton
What about "exchanges"?? my son has a DS game he got from an aunt for x-mas & im wondering if they would exchange it? its still sealed, but im not even sure if it was bought from walmart? :o It seems like a waste to keep a game that wont ever be played.
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
13485 posts
705 upvotes
sonic wrote:
Feb 9th, 2011 12:21 am
but im not even sure if it was bought from walmart?

This is why they changed their policy, to stop people from scamming them by returning stuff that was not purchased from them. Get the receipt from the aunt and return it where it was purchased.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Jan 19, 2011
516 posts
717 upvotes
It's probably a good thing, I remember my friend managed to return a broken fishing rod he found near the river for a store credit. :lol:
× < >