Shopping Discussion

Wal Mart To Close 269 Stores! 154 In The States.

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 19th, 2016 8:47 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2009
1624 posts
629 upvotes
Loblaws is not just missing out on foods items online, but general merchandise as well. I also want more competition online.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1501 posts
486 upvotes
Boom and Bust Calgar…
PitchyDawg wrote: Zzzz... terrible logic, dismissive attitude and typical apologist reply.

If anything, Walmart can take the outrage because, as a corporate behemoth, it needs to set an example as a responsible business citizen. Just because McDonald's is "big and it generates outrage" doesn't make any of the criticisms launched against it any less valid.

Taking your dismissive line of thought to its logical end, then something like Dov Charney's sexual harrassment and impropriety at American Apparel is Zzzzz because all those sexual harassment things happen in many workplaces. American Apparel is targeted because of X and Y blah blah blah.

In fact, let's not talk about any big corporations and multinationals like Monsanto at all, because people only pick on Monsanto because it's big and it generates outrage.

OP's mention of Walmart stores being too close together in parts of Southern Ontario is entirely valid - even if his observeration is not connected to news of the U.S. Store closures. Kind of, you know, like how your mention of "picking on Walmart" doesn't necessarily have any connection to anything that the OP wrote.

I'm not sure what your contribution to this "discussion" thread has actually been so far - aside from passively aggressively attacking the OP, and nitpicking one statistical figure (which is negligible, looking at the big picture.)
Apologist nothing.

Everybody has crap in their jobs. Hell if you've ever worked in a professional environment you'd know that the real sociopaths work in fancy downtown office towers.

Other than your redundant walls of text, what have you contributed? Internet outrage? Are you somehow going to give those Walmart workers their jobs back?

And good grief another person that thinks Monsanto Is Evil(tm). Gullible.
Feb 1, 2014
802 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto
Now that they won the crash war versus Target, its just maximizing profit.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15194 posts
4832 upvotes
Here 'n There
alohamom wrote: Well I stopped shopping at my local WalMart years ago because I cannot stand the freaking line ups. If I wanted to line up for 20 minutes, I'll go to Costco!
Costco's lineups have declined substantially in the last year where I shop which is Billy Bishop. They added a ton more check outs which are usually staffed. I never seem to wait more than five minutes now.
Banned
Oct 13, 2015
1245 posts
825 upvotes
Sainte-Dorothee, QC
I don't often buy stuff from WM cause I don't like Walmart.
They pay terribly and their employees forced to accept slave like conditions because the recession.
Close stores is such an easy decision to make when the shareholders want to make more money.
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2012
1053 posts
485 upvotes
TORONTO
Walmart closed small express urban stores not the super centers(which make lots of money). Urban areas are notoriously poor and are extremely difficult to get goods to the stores. Most of the United States retail stores do better outside the cities. Take Buffalo for example. Outside the downtown core the stores are booming, downtown is dead. Even though the city offers cheap rents, low costs taxes and the state has cheap hydro costs, most companies will not bother to invest there.

If you have ever shopped at a Walmart in the U.S. you would see how much better they are at customer service than Canada. They have 10-15 registers open most of the day. I've never spent more than 5 minutes in line(spending more than $500.00 every time). I spend 20 minutes in line at Dufferin Mall Walmart EVERY SINGLE TIME, i go there. Costco is just as bad. I've been at many SAM'S club in the states and again spend very little time in line. Costco on the QUEENSWAY is insane on the weekends.

Canada cannot match the States when it comes down to retail business models. They are not the same. Those Urban stores were like the stores here. Very long lines, small isles, little staff, messy, unorganized. Only reason why Canadian stores haven't closed yet is because people are willing to wait.
Deal Hunter :)
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2012
1053 posts
485 upvotes
TORONTO
Jewelry counter is always busy at Dufferin Mall when it's packed. The same goes for pharmacy, electronics cashiers. It's not a secret.
Deal Hunter :)
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
18440 posts
1879 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Didn't realize they owned Sam's Club but I'm not up to date with stores like some of you who cross-border shop and all.

I like the one at Steeles / McCown though. They went through an extensive renovation just a few months ago. Added fresh groceries and all.

I work near the Dufferin Mall location which is a mad house most of the time so I don't think that one is in jeapordy of closing. Lots of hard working people will be displaced for sure.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
18440 posts
1879 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
1dvdswapper wrote: Walmart closed small express urban stores not the super centers(which make lots of money). Urban areas are notoriously poor and are extremely difficult to get goods to the stores. Most of the United States retail stores do better outside the cities. Take Buffalo for example. Outside the downtown core the stores are booming, downtown is dead. Even though the city offers cheap rents, low costs taxes and the state has cheap hydro costs, most companies will not bother to invest there.

If you have ever shopped at a Walmart in the U.S. you would see how much better they are at customer service than Canada. They have 10-15 registers open most of the day. I've never spent more than 5 minutes in line(spending more than $500.00 every time). I spend 20 minutes in line at Dufferin Mall Walmart EVERY SINGLE TIME, i go there. Costco is just as bad. I've been at many SAM'S club in the states and again spend very little time in line. Costco on the QUEENSWAY is insane on the weekends.

Canada cannot match the States when it comes down to retail business models. They are not the same. Those Urban stores were like the stores here. Very long lines, small isles, little staff, messy, unorganized. Only reason why Canadian stores haven't closed yet is because people are willing to wait.
That's true. I shudder to think of the competition in the States where it's very fierce. For example, where would you go for alternatives in the Dufferin Mall location? Let's say you want some cheaper socks or t-shirts, would you go to the Dollarama? I suppose you could but for me it isn't worth it. I buy specialized items from the Dollarama. I find the produce in No Frills is cheaper than Walmart so I'll do that.

I rather buy electronics from WalMart than The Source though.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
7638 posts
1402 upvotes
Supercooled wrote: Didn't realize they owned Sam's Club but I'm not up to date with stores like some of you who cross-border shop and all.

I like the one at Steeles / McCown though. They went through an extensive renovation just a few months ago. Added fresh groceries and all.

I work near the Dufferin Mall location which is a mad house most of the time so I don't think that one is in jeapordy of closing. Lots of hard working people will be displaced for sure.
Never understood why the Steeles/Middlefiled location not being busy. Closest walmart to that would be Markville or STC, which is still a good 6-8km away if you live around there. Is it the demographics in the area? T&T also closed down, so it pretty much says something about that area. I think that land between T&T and Walmart will sit empty pretty much for the next 15 years.

Dufferin mall is a mad house because it's the walmart closest to downtown. Walmart was trying to expand to the Bahurst and College area but failed the last I heard. They also tried to expand to the lakeshore and leslie area, but also failed.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2004
4403 posts
984 upvotes
Wat
BornToSave wrote: +1 :arrowu: this

Walmart Canada is a cash cow for corporate. Walmart Canada had a tremendous Christmas season as they captured all the Target business.

Hmm.. they captured $0 for me this Christmas. Everything they sold could be gotten elsewhere for the same or lower price. So I don't understand why alot of people shop there.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2004
4403 posts
984 upvotes
Wat
froesesp wrote: Forget about wallymart, what about Canada's biggest retailer: Loblaws. They have virtually no online presence. I still can't believe that there is no online store besides pay and pickup at a few locations and sdm. They are really missing the boat without a proper e-store.
Maybe I'm old fashioned but I don't think I would ever buy groceries online. I have to see the quality and ripeness of the food I'm buying. I don't see why they would need an e-store?